Tablet Mac

jakedman

4 posts in this topic

So based on the fact that Apple is currently working on getting the iPhone out the door, and wrapping up leopard we know it won't be this year, but does anyone have any speculation on the development of a tablet macbook? It's something I've wanted for a really long time and I'll have a few grand to go towards a laptop come graduation time. I just don't know if it's better to wait, or maybe look into a modbook from axitron. Any thoughts? I just hate the feeling that I might spent $2500 on one from Axitron, and then Apple will announce a tablet mac soon after. I know they filed for a patent for something that looked a lot like a tablet back in '04 or '05.

Just some discussion material...

Personally, I am very happy with the design of the Modbooks and have placed my order when I first heard about them.

Frankly, the idea of a fully metal case, the widescreen display, and a built in optical drive is so much better than ANY other tablet on the market right now.

And no, I am not calling those "convertable notebooks" tablets, as the idea of a touchscreen in a conventional notebook just puts me off when they are trying to say how much better it is.

I want a tablet for portability, not for the gimmicky nature of it!

Yeah I definitely agree with that. When tablets were first introduced it was for gimmicky "note taking" functionality. I'm really excited that the modbook uses wacoms board and pen, and that they just upped the sensitivity to 512points from 256. Well I guess I'll just wait until I have my money saved up. Either way, I can't wait to work on my web comic and graphic design projects on my tablet mac on the couch or wherever.

I'd go ahead with the modbook, even if Apple would release a tablet it probably won't be anything better than what you'll be getting. I'd buy one right away if I ha $2500 to blow on a computer right now. Although I wouldn't mind a convertible notebook, being able to use a keyboard sometimes would be a plus. I'd be using the tablet for taking notes mostly, not graphic design. I guess the preference comes down to what you'll be using it for.

PS: Adrian, nice to see you around! :(