best PCI-E graphic card for Mac Os/win

7 posts in this topic

Hi.

I'm looking for a new PCI-E graphic card, compatible and working under Windows and under Mac OS.

At this moment I have an Ati X800 XT: it's a good card, but it's not the best under Mac Os (just a VESA compatible unaccelerated cards).

I've seen that Ati X1600 Pro AGP is the best card for mac os, am I wrong?

But It's AGP, and I don't know if it's better than an X800 XT

;)

What d'u know about?

TNX

Hi.

I'm looking for a new PCI-E graphic card, compatible and working under Windows and under Mac OS.

At this moment I have an Ati X800 XT: it's a good card, but it's not the best under Mac Os (just a VESA compatible unaccelerated cards).

I've seen that Ati X1600 Pro AGP is the best card for mac os, am I wrong?

But It's AGP, and I don't know if it's better than an X800 XT

:thumbsup_anim:

What d'u know about?

TNX

The X1600 Pro is normally a PCI-E card. There is an AGP varaint of it indeed. Anyway depending on which card. The Radeon X1600 pro 256MB PCI-E works best for OSX upto 10.4.7. Depending on which firmware I think it'll work fine on 10.48 too. In my own case it doen't work in 10.4.8 (I have a saphire X1600pro 256) while a mates computer also with X1600pro 256 but from another brand works perfectly.

Nonetheless you can fool OSX into thinking it's a 10.4.8 by fooling around the version.plist. This is reequired for those programs that refuse to install in anything below 10.4.8.

Cheers,

EPDM

I'm not saying the X800 is the best card (I've thought about replacing mine), but by "unaccelerated," do you mean you don't have Quartz Extreme and Core Image working on it? You can get them working with Callisto, but you need to have the ATIRadeon9700.kext and ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin from 10.4.4 for it to work right.

video.png

If you still want to replace it, the Geforce 7000 series works very well. The 7600GT is very good for the money (you can get one for less than $100).

• 3 months later...
X1650XT Pci-x also works, as do nvidia cards, but for them you need natit/titan, and a 10.4.8 kernel

I have a x1650xt pci-e and cant seem to get CI/QE. I tried using the natit universal installer. This gives me res support but not QE/CI. How did you get yours working?