AMD problem with Uphuck's DVD

RobNyc

45 posts in this topic

He saying he can't even enter his BIOS now. Seems extremely odd.

Well with his 20 gigger he found laying around, methinks it was a bit mussed to begin with. Nonetheless, the issues dont seem to be Uphuck related completely. I know that when we get frustrated, and start swappin {censored} out, we forget the rules of the road sometimes, and do dumb {censored}. I was hot poppin IDE drives (no reboot, while comp was on!)and was gettign crazy errors with drives that ahd previously been workking like a champ. Not saying he's done anything wrong, but usuually when you get problem that dont exhibit the same symptoms, and youve changed hardware, you might wanna look in the mirror. Uphuck cant mess you up in your bios, cause dvd doesnt register before your bios. Hope ya get it worked Rob, my {censored} bangin away w/ Uphuck so I cant complain.

I think the problem may be that there is no MBR (darwin bootloader). When you format the disk using Disk Utility on the DVD and choose the 'options' button near the bottom, make sure you choose "install MBR" rather than the default "install on Intel mac disk"- which is EFI. If your mobo supports EFI that would explain why you can't go into the bios with that HD installed. Also if thier is no MBR the disk will do nothing giving you a blank screen, if this is what you mean by 'dead'.

I think the problem may be that there is no MBR (darwin bootloader). When you format the disk using Disk Utility on the DVD and choose the 'options' button near the bottom, make sure you choose "install MBR" rather than the default "install on Intel mac disk"- which is EFI. If your mobo supports EFI that would explain why you can't go into the bios with that HD installed. Also if thier is no MBR the disk will do nothing giving you a blank screen, if this is what you mean by 'dead'.

He is claiming that he is unable to boot to any device including DVD drive physically thorugh BIOS.

some bios' freeze trying to read from harddrives. Its odd but not completely illogical..

-------------

As I said on IRC, u can try to access your harddrives through an enclosure or other machines and try formatting them..

The DVD wont do anything to ur BIOS, your MOBO or wont cause any physical damage to your rig.

-------------

Hope you got it going somehow. I'm sorry u are experiancing this issue. Dont hesitate to come by irc anytime..

I see now. Believe it or not, his happened to me and I thought my disk was dead also awhile ago (when screwing around).

This might seem kinda ghetto but here is how I was able to format the drive: Since you can't even boot from a cd, what you have to do is have the unplug the SATA cable to the HD and boot a cd that has the ability to format the drive (OS X, Windows, Linux whatever). After the BIOS post and the cd is about to boot, plug the sata cable in.

Then the OS/program you load from disc will be able to see the hard disk and you can format it.

I see now. Believe it or not, his happened to me and I thought my disk was dead also awhile ago (when screwing around).

This might seem kinda ghetto but here is how I was able to format the drive: Since you can't even boot from a cd, what you have to do is have the unplug the SATA cable to the HD and boot a cd that has the ability to format the drive (OS X, Windows, Linux whatever). After the BIOS post and the cd is about to boot, plug the sata cable in.

Then the OS/program you load from disc will be able to see the hard disk and you can format it.

I know SATA is 'posed to be hot-swappable, but I'd still be cautious about doin it. I'd rather check the HDs in another machine if avail. thinking about this, it seems more like a MBR mess up if anything.

Rob do you have another ype of start uop disk, like Hiren's or Acronis? Even a Win disk. I didnt catch whether or not the boot up disk issue was exclusive to OSX disk or can another disk work...

Hey guys, I worked with Rob through this and its not selecting the wrong partition type. (MBR is set)

He can boot off optical media if he removes these drives. He has other drives with Windows that when reattached boot fine.

All 4 of the hard disks he used worked perfectly before installing Uphuck.

He says he has installed JaS on these same drives and never had a problem.

Each time he has re-installed using Uphuck, the install proceeds fine, but on reboot he has this stall on the POST screen.

By dead, he means he can't even enter the BIOS.

Seems odd to me, but maybe having a EFI motherboard is a problem. (Don't know enough about it)

Edit: If it was an EFI motherboard problem, why would it have worked fine with JaS DVD?

Edit2: Looked up the board specs and appears to be "normal" BIOS, not EFI.

Hey guys, I worked with Rob through this and its not selecting the wrong partition type. (MBR is set)

He can boot off optical media if he removes these drives. He has other drives with Windows that when reattached boot fine.

All 4 of the hard disks he used worked perfectly before installing Uphuck.

He says he has installed JaS on these same drives and never had a problem.

Each time he has re-installed using Uphuck, the install proceeds fine, but on reboot he has this stall on the POST screen.

By dead, he means he can't even enter the BIOS.

Seems odd to me, but maybe having a EFI motherboard is a problem. (Don't know enough about it)

Edit: If it was an EFI motherboard problem, why would it have worked fine with JaS DVD?

Edit2: Looked up the board specs and appears to be "normal" BIOS, not EFI.

Def not EFI mobo. Ok, did you go thru the basics w/ him? Cables attached right, and fully connected? Dvd drive connected tight? Is there another bootable cd/dvd around the house he could try? This could be viral even. DVDs and OS of the like typically dont create this situation, even though it started when he tried to boot from Uphuck. Something is icky here, and I cant see what.

Def not EFI mobo. Ok, did you go thru the basics w/ him? Cables attached right, and fully connected? Dvd drive connected tight? Is there another bootable cd/dvd around the house he could try? This could be viral even. DVDs and OS of the like typically dont create this situation, even though it started when he tried to boot from Uphuck. Something is icky here, and I cant see what.

Its none of that and it can't be viral. (OS or BIOS)

I still believe somehow Apple GUID partition info is being written and somehow the BIOS is gaging on that.

Nothing else really makes sense and he says he is doing everything right.

I asked if he'd be willing to send me one of the destroyed HDs if I sent it back after examining, but haven't heard from him since then.

A few points:

• DVD drive is not the issue, works fine.
  • All drives work prior to installing from Uphuck DVD
  • Jas DVD installs and boots
  • Uphuck DVD installs but failure occurs on reboot
  • After installation from Uphuck DVD, can't access BIOS until drive is removed

Sure sounds like the BIOS is having trouble scanning HD for information (partition, geometry etc.)

A few points:
  • DVD drive is not the issue, works fine.
  • All drives work prior to installing from Uphuck DVD
  • Jas DVD installs and boots
  • Uphuck DVD installs but failure occurs on reboot
  • After installation from Uphuck DVD, can't access BIOS until drive is removed

Sure sounds like the BIOS is having trouble scanning HD for information (partition, geometry etc.)

He says JaS DVD boots, he tried this after all his troubles w/ Uphuck? Not to mention the corruption of his drives apparently at the BIOS layer. Maybe a re-flash of his BIOS would help things? I say viral since it happened after him trying Uphuck, perhaps the Uphuck dvd, 1.2 I believe, he got had a lil sumpthin on it, that was triggered by the install. Perhaps. Either way, its a crappy situ. At this point I'd almost agree w/ JohnnieCarcin. to re-attach the SATA after boot up, hes got nothing to lose.

Hey guys. I have been following this thread ever since last night when the EXACT same thing happened to me on my first install of uphuck v 1.3. My hard drive was the reason why I couldn't get past the boot screen as well. What I did (after failing the 50 times previous) was keep my hard drive unplugged until after the boot screen. Then I plugged it back in before I relaunched the install disk. What I needed to do was the following:

1. Enter disk utility

2. Go to partition

3. (don't know if this is necessary) Create 2 partitions. The first one was small and partitioned in MS-DOS. The second was the Mac file system (journalized). DO NOT START THE PARTITIONING YET!

4. Go to options (on the bottom) and select Master Boot Partition

5. Ok, now go ahead and partition.

6. Install per usual, making sure that you select what is right for your system. I am running an Athlon 64 3400+ so I used AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement,kext, Removetheral kexts

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Hey sorry guys.. I got frustrated and got kinda busy.. been busy, and stuff.

I appreciate everyone's help .. You guys made me feel good .

The drives I've been trying this with are IDE's and only 1 Sata.

I am searching to buy an enclosure. I'm trying to look into my bios how to disable quick boot like Headrush told me.

But I don't understand what he means about the Apple GUID.. also Maybe this problem could be 10.4.9 ?

Even when I had Jas 10.4.8 installed, and I tried different upgrade methods to 10.4.9 they didn't work but at least didn't kill my hd how it looks now.

I only have 1 pc at the moment, lucky I got all these hard-drives from a friend.. and I had 3 previously from my old pc and I build this new pc.

I'm also downloading the Tubgirl stuff, but i'll leave that for later.

So hopefully we can all meet up or something in a chat and talk about some resolutions.. So I guess the first would be getting the enclosure.

Thanks all again

Hey sorry guys.. I got frustrated and got kinda busy.. been busy, and stuff.

I appreciate everyone's help .. You guys made me feel good .

The drives I've been trying this with are IDE's and only 1 Sata.

I am searching to buy an enclosure. I'm trying to look into my bios how to disable quick boot like Headrush told me.

But I don't understand what he means about the Apple GUID.. also Maybe this problem could be 10.4.9 ?

Even when I had Jas 10.4.8 installed, and I tried different upgrade methods to 10.4.9 they didn't work but at least didn't kill my hd how it looks now.

I only have 1 pc at the moment, lucky I got all these hard-drives from a friend.. and I had 3 previously from my old pc and I build this new pc.

I'm also downloading the Tubgirl stuff, but i'll leave that for later.

So hopefully we can all meet up or something in a chat and talk about some resolutions.. So I guess the first would be getting the enclosure.

Thanks all again

I don't recall saying anything about "quick boot" ?

About Apple GUID:

After you start the DVD and the installer comes up, you select "Disk utility" in the menu to format and partition your drive.

When Disk Utility starts, you pick the "Partition tab" to do your hard drive partitioning.

In that tab near the bottom of the screen there is a button called "Options"

When you click that button, there are several options for setting the type of partition info that is used.

You don't have to understand what they mean, but you MUST select MBR type.

You then click the "Partition" button and the changes are made to your hard drive.

You can now quit disk utility and continue with the installation.

(Remember I checked Uphuck and it defaulted to Apple GUID which isn't what you want.)

After you start the DVD and the installer comes up, you select "Disk utility" in the menu to format and partition your drive.

When Disk Utility starts, you pick the "Partition tab" to do your hard drive partitioning.

When you click that button, there are several options for setting the type of partition info that is used.

You then click the "Partition" button and the changes are made to your hard drive.

(Remember I checked Uphuck and it defaulted to Apple GUID which isn't what you want.)

Rob, did you first make your mac partition using Disk util? I ask because Ive had major probs when i used Disk util for total hard disk control. I've always made my original part with windows, making it a FAT32 part, then when im installing OSX, I find the part and make it a Journaled deal. the only time I've had probs with my HD was when I used Disk utils to make my part. Damn near wiped my whole disk out. Still doesnt explain why your having suck probs, as if you had no MBR, youd still get "OS not found" or something of the like from your BIOS. Try parting your disk with win, make it a FAT32 deal. Then try Disk utils.

And Headrush, if he makes his parts with Win (Im assuming he's still using it, not dedicating his whole life to this OSX project of ours.) his MBR will be intact. I just dont trust OSX fully for disk control.

I don't recall saying anything about "quick boot" ?

About Apple GUID:

that is the problem then

Rob, did you first make your mac partition using Disk util? I ask because Ive had major probs when i used Disk util for total hard disk control. I've always made my original part with windows, making it a FAT32 part, then when im installing OSX, I find the part and make it a Journaled deal. the only time I've had probs with my HD was when I used Disk utils to make my part. Damn near wiped my whole disk out. Still doesnt explain why your having suck probs, as if you had no MBR, youd still get "OS not found" or something of the like from your BIOS. Try parting your disk with win, make it a FAT32 deal. Then try Disk utils.

And Headrush, if he makes his parts with Win (Im assuming he's still using it, not dedicating his whole life to this OSX project of ours.) his MBR will be intact. I just dont trust OSX fully for disk control.

The drives where I was/am installing OSX onto are only for OSX ;)

I have my 2x250GB Seperate for Windows currently running TinyVista on 1 of the 250GB + my backup 200GB. but im looking on the net to buy an enclosure and see what I can do .. thanks so much to all of you once again .. special thanks to headrush

• 4 weeks later...

same Problem 4 me, I've found possibilyty to reanimate hds

-enable RAID in bios (while hdds are unplugged), enable RAID also for all IDE chanels HD's are connected to.

-reboot

-connect hd's

-go to RAID Utility (F10 on my nforce3)

-add disks to an stripe, after addind save config.

-on saving raid will ask you to delete all data, so do it.

-reboot

-enter bios, remove raid and play again

My PC is booting after that, so I able to install MacOS again.

I'II try to format using MBR option now, maybe it will help

greets

Op.

Hey guys. I have been following this thread ever since last night when the EXACT same thing happened to me on my first install of uphuck v 1.3. My hard drive was the reason why I couldn't get past the boot screen as well. What I did (after failing the 50 times previous) was keep my hard drive unplugged until after the boot screen. Then I plugged it back in before I relaunched the install disk. What I needed to do was the following:

1. Enter disk utility

2. Go to partition

3. (don't know if this is necessary) Create 2 partitions. The first one was small and partitioned in MS-DOS. The second was the Mac file system (journalized). DO NOT START THE PARTITIONING YET!

4. Go to options (on the bottom) and select Master Boot Partition

5. Ok, now go ahead and partition.

6. Install per usual, making sure that you select what is right for your system. I am running an Athlon 64 3400+ so I used AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement,kext, Removetheral kexts

HOPE THIS HELPS!

IT WORKS !!! Thanks for this Hint. AMAZING !!!

• 1 month later...

It works for me with no sweat with myzar/tubgirl dvd.. but no luck with uphuck's