Macs not always more expensive

37 posts in this topic

Like sarah already stated, in our comparison we used a 256MB Radeon X1400 vs a 128MB Radeon X1600, which we woul say would farely be a wash.

First of all, if you knew even the slightest thing about video cards...which you blatently just proved you dont, then you would know that the memory capacity does not determine the speed of the card, ok? Its the core clock, and memory speeds, along with the amount of pixel pipelines that determine the speed of the card. The X1600 has more clock/memory speeds and more pixel pipelines than the X1400...on top of that, the X1400's 256MB video memory is NOT dedicated...its shared with the main system ram, hence the term "Hypermemory". Know YOUR facts before you make you call others stupid.

If you actually took the time to read my post rather than adamantly argue senselessly, you would have read that you can indeed get 2.2Ghz (the lowest of the MBP) if you gave Dell a call, and they would give you a code to enter in online (or you could purchase on the phone).

According to common arithmetics, 2.2Ghz still does not equal 2.33Ghz...know the difference. Why should I give them a call...why dont they have these specs posted on the website straightforwardedly?

Before you jumped in recklessly with obviously inferior knowledge on the subject matter, Sarah and I were logically analyzing the cost of the Macbook Pro and similarly specifications. Notice in OUR comparisons, the specifications for hard drives were EXACTLY the same. We were comparing a 15 inch MBP (low end) to a Inspiron E1505. Please don't read just a few post in and than come out blabbing about something you are obviously clueless on, it makes you look stupid.

Inferior knoledge? How is it inferior knowledge when I was comparing a DIFFERENT model of the Macbook Pro AND a different model of the Inspiron. I was comparing the maxed out specifications of both of the models....so its different from what you were talking about previously. Next time, before you try to jump at someone...make sure you GET your facts straight? OK, there is no need to show your ignorance this outright. Your the one who looked stupid...not me. Thanks for validating that as well.

Once again, me and Sarah were analyzing the hardware of the computer. Read HARDWARE. The Mac would have already won because of its operating system. We were comparing prices on HARDWARE.

The software is still included on the Mac regardless, so you have to take that into consideration as well. You can't just start ignoring the features that dont suit YOU, when it comes with the system...and state otherwise.

Honestly, before entering an argument, be sure to actually understand what the people are analyzing. We were talking hardware, sans other features significant features. We already KNOW that the Macbook Pro is better when it comes to all other features. We were comparing hardware specifications to see if the pricing was different or not. If your not going to actually analyze information and compare numbers in a civilized fashion like Sarah and I have done, than please don't post at all. Your blatant flaming and "MAC IS SUPERIOR LETS NOT EVEN LISTEN TO WHAT IS BEING TALKED ABOUT" ideology bring nothing more than hopeless trolling to these boards.

If you can't contribute anything help other users (Me in this case) have a better understanding of what they seek to know, than its best that you don't post at all.

Are you honestly that much of an idiot? Since when the hell was firewire 800, 400, USB, and MagSafe not hardware features? Do you even know how to differentiate hardware from software? I'm flaming? lol, read back your post, and see who is flaming, by calling the other person a stupid (first). Did I say Macs are superior? Stop making up words and stick to reality. There are tonnes of PC laptops that are faster than the Macbook Pro...no one is denying that. I never even once said that Macs are superior. Its people like you that give a bad name to Windows users you know that? Considering I have 233 posts, and you have 57...I think its rather clear who's the hopeless troll on these boards. Again, for the last time...get your facts straight, before you start bashing other people...because it makes you look dumb...as you just proved.

And on TOP of all this, you are still ignoring the fact that Sarah said that you never made a proper comparison, and you keep going on about the inspiron vs Macbook Pro, when the Inspiron is really at the Macbook level. Nice try, but dont try to avoid the facts next time.

First of all, if you knew even the slightest thing about video cards...which you blatently just proved you dont, then you would know that the memory capacity does not determine the speed of the card, ok? Its the core clock, and memory speeds, along with the amount of pixel pipelines that determine the speed of the card. The X1600 has more clock/memory speeds and more pixel pipelines than the X1400...on top of that, the X1400's 256MB video memory is NOT dedicated...its shared with the main system ram, hence the term "Hypermemory". Know YOUR facts before you make you call others stupid.

That I did not know.

According to common arithmetics, 2.2Ghz still does not equal 2.33Ghz...know the difference. Why should I give them a call...why dont they have these specs posted on the website straightforwardedly?

Uh... did you get nothing from what I posted? Sarah and I were comparing the Lower End Macbook Pro with the Dell E1505.

Inferior knoledge? How is it inferior knowledge when I was comparing a DIFFERENT model of the Macbook Pro AND a different model of the Inspiron. I was comparing the maxed out specifications of both of the models....so its different from what you were talking about previously. Next time, before you try to jump at someone...make sure you GET your facts straight? OK, there is no need to show your ignorance this outright. Your the one who looked stupid...not me. Thanks for validating that as well.

Read the post over again, I edited it while you were replying. What I meant to say was slightly different from what I wrote. I meant you did not understand the argument at hand, of what Sarah and I were arguing about.

Okay, if you were comparing a different model, than why even join the argument at all. Sarah and I were comparing lower end models, not what you were doing. Don't jump in if you have nothing of substance to contribute. If you aren't going to help out with our analysis, than you can create your can create your own separate argument elsewhere.

The software is still included on the Mac regardless, so you have to take that into consideration as well. You can't just start ignoring the features that dont suit YOU, when it comes with the system...and state otherwise.

Uh... Look at the analysis that Sarah and I have done. NONE of it revolves around the software of the system. Once again, don't argue mindlessly unless you know what the people are arguing about. Sarah is trying to inform me of the price difference through a hardware comparison of the lower end Macbook Pro with an Inspiron E1505. You jump in with your own ideas on some arbitrary comparison that has very little to do with what Sarah and I were comparing.

Are you honestly that much of an idiot? Since when the hell was firewire 800, 400, USB, and MagSafe not hardware features? Do you even know how to differentiate hardware from software? I'm flaming? lol, read back your post, and see who is flaming, by calling the other person a stupid (first). Did I say Macs are superior? Stop making up words and stick to reality. There are tonnes of PC laptops that are faster than the Macbook Pro...no one is denying that. I never even once said that Macs are superior. Its people like you that give a bad name to Windows users you know that? Considering I have 233 posts, and you have 57...I think its rather clear who's the hopeless troll on these boards. Again, for the last time...get your facts straight, before you start bashing other people...because it makes you look dumb...as you just proved.

Uh... once again, understand what we are arguing about before actually jumping in. And I like how you assumed I was a Windows user when I had already stated earlier that I used Macs, which proves you either didn't take the time to read or lack those skills in general. If your last 233 post were as bad as your previous ones, than I'd say you were the troll. I said you looked "stupid" in the sense that you had no foundation for the argument at hand, but instead brought in factors that Sarah and I were not even considering at the time. (As opposed to you who called me an idiot by saying "Are you that much of an idiot") We made a comparison on the basic hardware features of the computer (we ALREADY UNDERSTAND that the Mac OS is better and that the Macbook Pro comes with more features, we were comparing price for just the basic computer necessities). If you aren't going to post something that will help me understand the situation better (which you aren't) than don't post at all, as you are not helping anybody and just wasting my time.

And on TOP of all this, you are still ignoring the fact that Sarah said that you never made a proper comparison, and you keep going on about the inspiron vs Macbook Pro, when the Inspiron is really at the Macbook level. Nice try, but dont try to avoid the facts next time.

And thats what was I was trying to do before you jumped in. If you at least presented your arguments like Sarah, in an understandable and on-topic fashion, than at I would at least have respect for what you were saying. Your arguments so far have close to nothing to do with what I was discussing with Sarah.

Please, if you are going to continue posting in this thread, make it something of value, I don't want to read through your arguing garbage anymore.

And I apologize if I offended you. I didn't mean to say you were stupid. I just didn't like how you were adding to the argument.

That I did not know.

Then maybe you should have done some research into video cards, before you make an invalid comparison.

Uh... did you get nothing from what I posted? Sarah and I were comparing the Lower End Macbook Pro with the Dell E1505.

Again, its the Macbook thats comparable, not the Macbook Pro

Read the post over again, I edited it while you were replying. What I meant to say was slightly different from what I wrote. I meant you did not understand the argument at hand, of what Sarah and I were arguing about.

Okay, if you were comparing a different model, than why even join the argument at all. Sarah and I were comparing lower end models, not what you were doing. Don't jump in if you have nothing of substance to contribute. If you aren't going to help out with our analysis, than you can create your can create your own separate argument elsewhere.

The point of this thread was to show that Macs were not always more expensive. That was it. Alessandro showed evidence, Sarah showed evidence, and I showed evidence. Then you come along, and make an wrong comparison between two models of laptops that were not even meant to compete with each other. Using your argument (which is not even doable, but neverthless)...even the lowest end Macbook Pro, which has Firewire 800/400, MagSafe, Backlit keyboard, etc...are not present in the so called "comparison" that you were making to the Inspiron. How do you go about justifying this?

Uh... Look at the analysis that Sarah and I have done. NONE of it revolves around the software of the system. Once again, don't argue mindlessly unless you know what the people are arguing about. Sarah is trying to inform me of the price difference through a hardware comparison of the lower end Macbook Pro with an Inspiron E1505. You jump in with your own ideas on some arbitrary comparison that has very little to do with what Sarah and I were comparing.

If you knew what you were arguing about...then you would not even be comparing an Inspiron to a Macbook Pro, and then stating that the only reason why the Latitude (which could compete) doesn't compete was becuase of its "looks". Way to provide a valid justification for your argument. Good one.

Uh... once again, understand what we are arguing about before actually jumping in. And I like how you assumed I was a Windows user when I had already stated earlier that I used Macs, which proves you either didn't take the time to read or lack those skills in general. If your last 233 post were as bad as your previous ones, than I'd say you were the troll. I said you looked "stupid" in the sense that you had no foundation for the argument at hand, but instead brought in factors that Sarah and I were not even considering at the time. (As opposed to you who called me an idiot by saying "Are you that much of an idiot") We made a comparison on the basic hardware features of the computer (we ALREADY UNDERSTAND that the Mac OS is better and that the Macbook Pro comes with more features, we were comparing price for just the basic computer necessities). If you aren't going to post something that will help me understand the situation better (which you aren't) than don't post at all, as you are not helping anybody and just wasting my time.

And thats what was I was trying to do before you jumped in. If you at least presented your arguments like Sarah, in an understandable and on-topic fashion, than at I would at least have respect for what you were saying. Your arguments so far have close to nothing to do with what I was discussing with Sarah.

Please, if you are going to continue posting in this thread, make it something of value, I don't want to read through your arguing garbage anymore.

Maybe you should go back to all the previous posts that I had made, before you come to a wrong conclusion like that. And why are you bringing in the OS now? I never even brought that into comparison now did I? So dont try to use that to leverage your failing argument, but since you did Ill add on...you cannot use Vista Home Premium...it has to be Ultimate, since OS X does not come in feature disabled versions, so its only fare to compare to Vista Ultimate. Just pointing that out, because you did not do that in your so-called inspiron comparison. We are comparing "Price to Feature" ratio. If the inspiron is lower in price, which it can be becuase it has more customization options than the Macbook Pro, then its missing hardware features that the Macbook Pro has...therfore you cannot make a valid comparison. I urge you to make a proper comparison of a Dell laptop to an Apple laptop. If you want to compare the Macbook Pro...then please choose a Dell laptop that is equivalent, taking into account all the features of the Macbook Pro, such as backlit keyboard, FW800, etc, etc. As Sarah already made the comparison, the Latitude comes out very little cheaper yes, but it does not have backlit keyboard, FW800, nor the proper video card that the Macbook Pro has.

Moreover, how did you get the laptop to $1198 before the discount...when I configured it it came to the same as what Sarah had...which was $1600?

Lastly, this is not YOUR thread, this was a general thread to show that Macs are not as expensive as they are claimed to be. When you were proven wrong with the Mac Pro's...you went to the Macbook Pro...and you were proven wrong there as well...you went to the Inspirons. Nice way to make your point.

I was referring to what Sarah and I were discussing, as the topic got off subject and on to our discussion close to what was the end (but now middle). When I was wrong about something, I understood why because Sarah had pointed it out in a very clear and understanding fashion.

Thank you though, for the last post, it was more clear and on-topic. In case you missed it, I apologize if I offended you. It's going to take a while for me to go through it and analyze it though ^_^

------

Alright, going along your comparisons, I will do Apple's top-of-the-line configuration vs a similarly specced computer

Apple:

* 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* 3GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1x2GB, 1x1GB

* 200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 4200 rpm

* SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

* MacBook Pro 17-inch Widescreen Display

* Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

* Accessory Kit

Price: $3,474.00

Clevo M570U

Display: 17 WSXGA+ w/SCGF

Video Card: nVidia 7800 256MB (Is this a fair enough video card comparison? ^_^)

CPU: T7600

DDR2 Memory: 3GB DDR2/667 - 2

HDD: 200GB SATA 4200rpm

CD: 8x DVD+/-RW DL

Network Adapter: Integrated GBLAN

WLAN: Intel 3945ABG + Bluetooth

Carry Bag: Included

Price: $2789.00

Website: http://www.rjtech.com/miva/merchant.mv?Scr...duct_Code=M570U

Good job, but there is something you should know about Apple...in that their memory upgrades are a huge ripoff. I suggest comparing it with 2Gb ram. Dont get me wrong, you did a very nice comparison there, and it was genuinely cheaper (the other brand). They (Apple) charge ridiculously too high for just a 1Gb more stick. Another thing to note is even though Apple does not mention this...the memory used on the Macbook Pro's are infact made by Corsair.

Here is another comparison I made using the same laptop you provided:

Apple Macbook Pro 17"

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.33Ghz (667Mhz FSB)

2Gb DDR2 (PC5300) RAM

160Gb 5400RPM HD

8X Dual Layer DVD+-/RW Superdrive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256Mb

17" Widescreen display (1680 x 1050)

Microsoft Office 2004 Trial

Full Backlit Keyboard

MagSafe Power Cord

Ambient Light Sensors

Onboard Motion Sensors

iLife 06 Full

Comic Life Full

Onboard Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

1 Firewire 400 Port

Onboard iSight Camera

3 USB 2.0 Ports

Apple Remote Control with onboard IR sensor

DVI Port (with DVI->VGA adapter included)

1 Firewire 800 Port

Kensington Cable Lock Slot

6.8 lbs total weight (incl battery)

1" thin

OS X 10.4 Tiger

TOTAL: $2,799

R&J Technology Clevo 17"

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.33Ghz (667Mhz FSB)

2Gb DDR2 (PC5300) RAM

160Gb 5400RPM HD

8X Dual Layer DVD+-RW drive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 128Mb

17" Widescreen display (1680 x 1050)

Bluetooth 2.0

Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit)

Microsoft Office 2007 SBE Trial

Onboard Camera

DVI port

Windows MCE Remote Control w/ TV-Tuner Card (attached to Express card slot)

4 USB 2.0 Ports

1 Firewire 400 Port

Kensington Cable Lock Slot

4 in 1 Card Reader

8.3 lbs total weight (incl battery)

1.8" thin

Carrying bag with strap

TOTAL: $2,833

Again, you did a perfectly acceptable comparison....but Apple for some reason makes going from 2Gb to 3Gb way too expensive, when you can do it yourself for a fraction of the price. Thats what threw up the price of the Macbook Pro that you compared before way to high. If the RAM was set at 2Gb...its much more competitive. Each of them have unique advantages, as I have highlited in green, but they generally share a similar hardware specs for the most part, so its safe enough to compare. :(

Another thing to note is even though Apple does not mention this...the memory used on the Macbook Pro's are infact made by Corsair.

I'm not saying you're wrong since I honestly haven't opened up a MacBook Pro, but are you sure about them using Corsair? As long as I can remember, they've been using Samsung, Micron, and Hynix (or Hyundai pre-2001...same company) memory in their computers.

To answer the question about where to get memory, NewEgg, Crucial (owned by Micron), and Transintl are all good places. Transintl has always had good Mac support (they started out as Mac only), and you can get a 3GB kit for $148, or a Samsung OEM 3GB kit for $280.

I'm not saying you're wrong since I honestly haven't opened up a MacBook Pro, but are you sure about them using Corsair? As long as I can remember, they've been using Samsung, Micron, and Hynix (or Hyundai pre-2001...same company) memory in their computers.

I'm not sure about the other Macs...but on the Macbook Pro, they have used two different memory manufacturers. On the first CD MBP's, it was Corsair, with the serial/part number being C13-8030 , which refers to the Corsair Value Select laptop ram. On the C2D Macbook Pro, the serial/part number is 065-6101,MA346G/A, which refers to the Kingston high performance memory. Mine has the Kingston, by my friend, who has the original MBP CD, and never changed the ram, had the serial/part number for the Corsair. However, I know for a fact Apple doesn't use Samsung, Micron, or Hynix on the MBP's (so far atleast).

All these laptop comparos are interesting, but usually if you do exact specs the mac will always come out at a competitive price. I think Apple does great work with their laptops, and if I was going to purchase a laptop it'd be an MB or MBP hands down. A different story is the iMac, it is way overpriced. I can always find a PC that has a better processor and video card for cheaper. (mind you the PC doesnt have a built in camera/mic, built in bluetooth or built in wi fi) I think Apple should drop the iMac and make a tower.