Shuttle SD39P2 Working

23 posts in this topic

Working:

** Updated: Everything working fine on Leopard **

Patched:

USB2 EHCI (use Darwin 9.0.0 for Leoaprd)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=USB+EHCI+2.5.6

NIC (BCM5789 - no longer needs to be loaded outside of Extensions on Leopard, simply replace original)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51889

Audio (Out working):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=adi1986

Video:

BFG 6800 GT OC 256MB [PCIe]

*edit*

Switched to a BFG 7950 GT OC, did the gotoh bios mod (MacVidia forums) and switched from Natit to NVInject

*edit*

Switched to an 8600 GT Silent as Leopard drives the GPU hotter/louder (using 10.5.2 kexts and NVinject 2.x)

• 1 month later...

HI,

I just bought the same Shuttle, and will be building it soon as I get all the components from NewEgg. I was wondering how it was working as a Hackintosh? Are there any limitations that you've seen running OS X on the Shuttle? I do audio recording and editing on my Macbook Pro, as well as some video editing in Final Cut. I would love to be able to do the same with the Shuttle in OS X. Any other insights or advice welcome, too. Components below.

Thanks.

Components...

Shuttle 3D39P2

Intel E6600 Retail

A-Data PC2 6400 - 4x4 1GB

Seagate Barracuda SATA II 750GB

Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB

LG Lightscribe DVD Burner

EVGA 8800GTS (I know this won't work. Wasn't thinking about a hackintosh when I bought it. I'm looking for a 7950GT OC.)

**Update: Successfully overclocked to 3GHz and ran it at that speed for 1 1/2 years before my P/S died a few weeks ago [May 2009]** settings available upon request (have bios screen captures)**

SD39P2 + Q6600 Stable Overclock (ran fine for 18+ months, no panics/freezes at all):

Spread spectrum: Disabled

Ram Timings: Manual (implement exactly what's on the RAM stickers)

Ram speed: Drop from 800 to 667 (overclock will bring speed back up to and over 800)

CPU Clock: 333

PCI-Ex Clock: Fixed at 100

CPU Voltage: +50mV

RAM Voltage: implement exactly what's on the RAM sticker (+.1V if you have any crashes but shouldn't be necessary)

Video:

(depreciated)

sleep:

(depreciated)

Only major OSX prob I had was w/ the NIC.. resolved it by loading the kext separately from the rc instead of using the extensions folder (as documented).

minor probs: needed PCGenEHCI to get USB2

new issue: 10.4.10 firewire kext is flaky (though I don't use FW often) you may want to revert to the 10.4.9 version

(*always* keep each version's kexts backed up)

Josh256,

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Yeah, I did a bit of research before I settled on this particular Shuttle. The PC2-800 problem might have been resolved with a bios update, according to the NewEgg user reviews. I got the Adata chips, though, hoping they would work. I hope they do. If it won't boot, then I can't modify the bios.

I'm going to be using this primarily as a Windows PC, but to have OS X on there will be a plus. I have Protools and an MBox 2 Pro, so I need firewire and a stable OS X box. I'll stay away from 10.4.10. Protools isn't officially supported beyond 10.4.9, anyway (not that it's supported on a hackintosh!).

Video

I read that the 8800 GTS work fine in this Shuttle. Too bad I wasn't thinking about a hackintosh when I first was putting together my list. I would have gotten the 7950, instead. I guess I'll pony up the cash for the 7950 and stick the 8800 in a drawer until someone finally gets OS X drivers running for the g8000 series. I do a little gaming with Oblivion and the best FPS of the month and my Macbook Pro has been handling the video well enough with it's Mobile 8600. I should be happy with a 7950.

Does it matter what 7950GT OS 512 I get? Does it have to be BFG or, can I go with EVGA or such?

Overclocking

The E6600 (at least according to the box) is a Core 2 Duo 2.4 Conroe, not the Quad. That's the Q6600. I don't plan on overclocking, anyway. I'll take what I get out of the box. I want a cool, stable, quiet environment for sharing files, video and sound editing (Win and OS X), and occasional gaming. I was hoping earlier on that the a g8000 series card would be released for the Mac Pro, but I'm tired of waiting.

What does "validate the RAM" mean?

Sleep

I don't use sleep much... I didn't think of using paralells, though. Are you using Bootcamp? Like some people do with Vista hackintosh's? I would prefer Bootcamp instead of that traditional Darwin loader.

Also, I have to some reading up on modifying Kexts. It's been about a year since I mucked about with OS X on a PC. I put 10.4.4 on an Asus notebook for fun. It ran, but video was flakey, and wifi didn't work at all. No Intel wifi drivers at the time.

Speaking of Wifi, do you know anything about the Shuttle wifi adapter and OS X. I wonder if they play nice.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I should get everything but the 7950 this coming week. I'm trying to find a good deal on the card.

• 1 month later...

Josh, that system looks great, almost exactly what I planned on building, though maybe with one more internal drive (3 total).

Two quick questions:

1. Can you post your xBench results?

2. How is it for noise on idle, under mild load and under full load? Are the fans noisy or just slightly noticeable?

Thanks a ton.

• 2 weeks later...
Working: Everything except Advanced Audio Inputs/Outputs ...

Thanks a ton for all the helpful links in your first post, Josh256 - saved me a crapload of time while setting up my SD39P2!!

Got everything working on mine as well, including all recent updates.

• OS X 10.4.10 (uphuck 10.4.9 + Pascal's 10.4.10 updater), needed the update for my iPhone
  • BFG 7950 GT OC (256MB, didn't want the hassle with flashing), using natit to drive a 23" Apple Cinema Display @ 1920x1200 and a 20" LG @ 1680x1050
  • integrated audio using the 2-channel driver linked to up top
  • wired ethernet via D-Link DUB-E100 USB adapter
  • Hi-speed USB driver for IOUSBFamily.kext v. 270.4.1 works fine with Kernel 8.10.1 & IOUSBFamily.kext v. 2.7.5
  • Shuttle's internal WLAN module PN18 works fine with 3rd party driver for the Zydas 1211b chipset

This little box was made to run OS X, speedy & stable - I'm a happy camper!!

Oh, and for meteparozzi ... XBench reports something in the 170 range for my system, forgot the exact score. And the system's very quiet sitting on my desk, even while under load (e.g., encoding video). Temps are in the mid-40's while idle, upper 50's under full load.

:whistle:

Thanks a ton for all the helpful links in your first post, Josh256 - saved me a crapload of time while setting up my SD39P2!!

Got everything working on mine as well, including all recent updates.

• OS X 10.4.10 (uphuck 10.4.9 + Pascal's 10.4.10 updater), needed the update for my iPhone
  • BFG 7950 GT OC (256MB, didn't want the hassle with flashing), using natit to drive a 23" Apple Cinema Display @ 1920x1200 and a 20" LG @ 1680x1050
  • integrated audio using the 2-channel driver linked to up top
  • wired ethernet via D-Link DUB-E100 USB adapter
  • Hi-speed USB driver for IOUSBFamily.kext v. 270.4.1 works fine with Kernel 8.10.1 & IOUSBFamily.kext v. 2.7.5
  • Shuttle's internal WLAN module PN18 works fine with 3rd party driver for the Zydas 1211b chipset

This little box was made to run OS X, speedy & stable - I'm a happy camper!!

Oh, and for meteparozzi ... XBench reports something in the 170 range for my system, forgot the exact score. And the system's very quiet sitting on my desk, even while under load (e.g., encoding video). Temps are in the mid-40's while idle, upper 50's under full load.

:whistle:

Fantastic. Thanks for the response. I was wavering about it a little bit, wondering if I could go to 10.4.10 with no problems, but this settles it. I'm pumped about it now.

Glad you are enjoying yours. Might have some more questions sometime around Sept. 15 or so, when I purchase this puppy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Josh, Can you explain what you used exactly to get the ALC888 to work, and what works in it? The link you gave has 3 options, all of which do not seem to enable the Digital Out. I have been able to get the front headphone jack to put out analog, however, with the 888 kext.

• 3 months later...

Has any one running Leopard been able to properly shutdown or restart with the SD39p2? I am running Kalyway 10.5.2 and when I choose shutdown, everything shuts down but the fans... just wondering that if you didn't post about any problems with it, then it is working for you?

If it is working, could you tell me what kernel, bios settings you are using?

Has any one running Leopard been able to properly shutdown or restart with the SD39p2? I am running Kalyway 10.5.2 and when I choose shutdown, everything shuts down but the fans... just wondering that if you didn't post about any problems with it, then it is working for you?

If it is working, could you tell me what kernel, bios settings you are using?

I have the same problem--have never gotten restart to work. Shutdown does work sometimes, bu t not consistently. I'm using Kalyway 10.5.1 with the patch updater.

Changed BIOS, shutdown now works, but onto the sound and networking...Does anyone have a link to the bcm5789 driver this needs? I am using Kalyway 10.5.2 and while the ethernet card is detected, it will not get a valid IP when using DHCP, it uses a self-assigned IP

Changed BIOS, shutdown now works, but onto the sound and networking...Does anyone have a link to the bcm5789 driver this needs? I am using Kalyway 10.5.2 and while the ethernet card is detected, it will not get a valid IP when using DHCP, it uses a self-assigned IP

What bios setting did you change?

I never found a proper driver for ethernet to fix DHCP. I been using a static IP address.

What about sound? I have sound working for the main audio out. Don't know if digital out works as I don't use it.

ok, sorry, jumped the gun, shutdown still does not work for me, and sound is same for me too... unplugging the network cable seemed to allow it to shutdown properly...might try that, as for getting your about this mac looking right, use OSX86 tools, and click Modify About This Mac, and choose autoset CPU information, BOOM, its done.

What bios setting did you change?

I never found a proper driver for ethernet to fix DHCP. I been using a static IP address.

What about sound? I have sound working for the main audio out. Don't know if digital out works as I don't use it.

ok, sorry, jumped the gun, shutdown still does not work for me, and sound is same for me too... unplugging the network cable seemed to allow it to shutdown properly...might try that, as for getting your about this mac looking right, use OSX86 tools, and click Modify About This Mac, and choose autoset CPU information, BOOM, its done.

Thanks for the heads-up on OSX86 Tools. I've been meaning to check them out, but hadn't had time.

Regarding sound... I used this link, posted by Josh256, to get my sound working. Did you try this?

Audio (Out working):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=adi1986

• 1 month later...

Has anyone gotten 10.5.3 and up to work properly? The shutdown issue I was having is now gone now that I have reinstalled Kalyway 10.5.2...I am afraid to upgrade again for fear of losing shutdown, also the last few times I had upgraded to 10.5.3 using the kalyway combo updater then to 10.5.4 using Software update the internal hard drive icons changed to this generic looking drive icon, like external drives, orange, but with no firewire or usb icon (the internal drives are SATA)...JUst wondering if any one else experienced this or has a workaround.

Has anyone gotten 10.5.3 and up to work properly? The shutdown issue I was having is now gone now that I have reinstalled Kalyway 10.5.2...I am afraid to upgrade again for fear of losing shutdown, also the last few times I had upgraded to 10.5.3 using the kalyway combo updater then to 10.5.4 using Software update the internal hard drive icons changed to this generic looking drive icon, like external drives, orange, but with no firewire or usb icon (the internal drives are SATA)...JUst wondering if any one else experienced this or has a workaround.

Honestly, I haven't tried. I don't want to lose my working system. I did use a 10.5.3 installer a few months ago on a separate sata drive, but system was dead on restart after every attempted installation - I don't recall exactly which install it was, but I think it was a Kaly (if there is a kaly 10.5.3). I gave up, mostly due to lack of time. I want to get to 10.4.5, but am waiting till I have time to try one of the various methods of installation where I can do standard software updates without hosing the system, if such a thing is possible.

Got it! Upgraded successfully to 10.5.5, shutdown working as well...I started with Kalyway 10.5.2 then found this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

Ran that and shut down, booted, got to Apple screen eventually froze, I turned it off, turned back on and loaded fine!

Very cool. Did you run into any issues? Audio problems, Video, LAN, etc?

• 3 months later...
Got it! Upgraded successfully to 10.5.5, shutdown working as well...I started with Kalyway 10.5.2 then found this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

Ran that and shut down, booted, got to Apple screen eventually froze, I turned it off, turned back on and loaded fine!

Hey! Was having problems with my 10.5.2 system, so I blew it away and started from scratch. Now using iATKOS 5.i with PC EFI 9 Vanilla, loading patched kexts from external folder. Works great. Did software update to 10.5.6 no problem. Of course had to load audio, usb and lan patches as external kexts, but now.... all good.

One thing, though... the same no reboot and sporadic shutdown problem. You said you fixed yours? HOW?????? ;)

I want to keep it vanilla for obvious reaons, but would like to have reboot.

Peace and happy new year!

• 3 weeks later...
10.4.9/10.5.1/10.5.2/10.5.4

Add Shuttle SD37P2 V2 to the working list ..^^

any question regarding SD37P2, you come and drop me a line ...^^

Hi there! Could you give me a hand on how to install osx Leopard on a shuttle SD37P2. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to instal iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) on my pc.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update.. some of the vanilla/Leo ACPI kexts worked with the screen saver, others didn't.. if you're having a problem with the screen saver (not coming on) you can revert AppleACPI to correct..

..This is accurate up to/including 10.5.7 as I no longer have my shuttle.