11 posts in this topic

No one would advise you to buy a G5 now... I don't know the details, but I guess you should build your own C2D hackintosh

Nonsense, if you don't need to boot into windows a G5 is a very viable alternative. 100% compatible, fast and looks good; the problem is finding one at a good price.

No one would advise you to buy a G5 now... I don't know the details, but I guess you should build your own C2D hackintosh

I hate to say this, but if you don't know the details, then please don't contribute.

All right, all FUD aside, a G5 tower will give you pretty good performance compared with the Mac Pros. Note that I didn't say better/faster or anything like that. Plus, the G5 can give you something no HackBox can ever give you--100% compatibility. I say if you can get one, then go ahead and do it. You'll have a viable machine for several years to come.

thanks..but i am worried about apple support..will they drop g5 anytime sooner?

also anyone know if amiga os 4 can be installed on this g5..

Given that Apple is still supporting G4s that first shipped in 1999 and, given that they only stopped selling G5s last year - I wouldn't be worried about support running out any time soon. I have no idea about AO4; I thought you had to buy a logic board with a specific OF/rom to run it.

• 2 weeks later...
no HackBox can ever give you--100% compatibility.

My setup does not have one thing that does not work that I use on a day to day basis (even things I don't use work) and is every bit as rock solid as my G4's that I have laying around... just about 5 times faster.

If you look for the right hardware you can get a 100% working OS X box.

My setup does not have one thing that does not work that I use on a day to day basis (even things I don't use work) and is every bit as rock solid as my G4's that I have laying around... just about 5 times faster.

If you look for the right hardware you can get a 100% working OS X box.

Try installing an OS 4.x update on it straight from Apple. Then we'll see how rock solid it is. :mellow:

If the price is right, and you need a fast mac. For sure buy it. What do you need support for, its a mac. I have been using a mac of 8 years and not once have i needed support. In fact my Dual 450G4(apples first Dual processor g4) still does video editing in Final cut. The reason i bought the new intel system was because i needed a second system and i fell in love with it. I still use the G4 tower as a day to day workhorse. The only thing i have replaced on this machine is the Cd burner for a superdrive and added bigger harddrives.

Macs Rule period!