Learning To Code

9 posts in this topic

Im keen on learning to code, i have been interested in learning for about a year after reading this site and the efforts of OSx86 project which really captured my interests.

However i have windows and i understand this is a Mac site. I would like to know where to start, and any info. the community has on starting. :(

P.s if this thread has already been started may you delete it and point me in the direction of it.

Thanks

i would guess you would want to learn C if you want to do OS coding. here are some steps...

1) get a tutorial

2) have Xcode on your computer - make a new file under BSD C file - that will be a good text editor for you to use (color coating etc)

3) after using whatever code in the tutorial open the terminal - type gcc 'filename.c'

you will get a file a.out which will open in the terminal

and thats how to learn C on mac

i would like to become one too..but a question here..do i have to take some university course to learn programming?

No. You can learn how to program by buying a book related to the language you want to learn. There are also many free tutorials for programming on the internet (use Google).

No. You can learn how to program by buying a book related to the language you want to learn. There are also many free tutorials for programming on the internet (use Google).

is objective c the same like c?

what programming language is compatible for both osx and unix os?

I believe Objective-C is based on C. Objective-C can be used in Unix too (I think).

Objective C is object oriented, while C is not. There are a lot of similarities, but you can't really learn C and just jump into Objective C without taking a course or reading a book on it. There are a lot of languages that are "compatible" with OS X and Unix, since OS X is built on Unix. However that doesn't necessarily mean you can write a Unix app and have it run under OS X without modification (unless it's a simple console app). The most portable language is Java, but even that can sometimes have some differences depending on OS (though not nearly as often).