best distro for dell 700mhz p3

Soündless

13 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest you a gentoo or debian based linux distro with xfce as WM (it's tiny and great looking).

Check the latest sidux or the etch (do a network install and select only the packages you want). By default the Etch comes with KDE and it's far from a slim system.

Actually Parallel Knoppix is good for linking comps. I've never used it, but it's fairly easy I hear. Bout 30mins to an hour is my guess for setting it up. They actually would run quite well too. ^.^ Have fun! www.distrowatch.com then browse to Parallel Knoppix in case you didn't know.

Email me at 00free@gmail.com if you need any further help.

Your friend,

-Free

P.S. I've never used it, but I've compiled Gentoo from the ground up, so I have some Linux experience. Been a user for 2 years. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well to be honest, I have used linux for years, and any distribution IS going to work on that computer. You can use anything, as long as you learn to change desktop environments, and maybe stop some services that you need.

If I were you I would keep away from large desktop environments such as KDE, and gnome. Stick to something like Xfce or enlightenment e17 if you still want the cosyness of a desktop environment but with less RAM usage :rolleyes:

Or you could use any distro with fluxbox, openbox, wmii or any of the minimalist windows managers :rolleyes:

Good luck :whistle: