Need a cheap hacktop, and I'm an osx86 noob...

9 posts in this topic

Well, Im going on a trip soon and im strapped for cash, and I am split between getting a cheap old G3 or G4 iBook for around 500, or a hackintosh for around the same price. I know about apple hardware, so the question lies in "What version of OSx86 and what laptop work the best together". I have attempted OSx86 installs with a JaS 10.4.7 disc on a PC before, but i dont know how much different it is on a laptop. If anyone can point me towards the most OS X compatable laptop (graphics, sound, and wifi working flawlessly), and the most compatable version of OSx86 for it, Id appreciate very much. I probably sound like a noob now cause the chances of it being flawless are pretty slim...

Thanks,

-Nick

(PS. I have no intention of dual booting. EDIT: yet :D )

If you can afford it, yeah get the refurb macbook. Otherwise, there are a couple of acer laptops that work 100% with everything. They go for about $400-$600. The 3680 and 3690 range.

Here's a link

Just make sure your Acer 3680 has the Mini PCI wireless card and not the PCI Express wireless card. I still have not found a way for my Atheros AR5007 to play nice with os x. My brother and I bought two of these Acer's from best buy a couple of weeks ago when they were on clearance for $399. My brother's laptop has the mini pci atheros AR5005 which is totally compatible, and mine has the PCI express atheros AR5007, which I am having trouble with. So I must have a later hardware revision. I can't even trade it in because they don't have any more in stock.

Thank you Sal, I will keep that in mind. I've been looking at those laptops a lot lately, (as well as the 5600 series core duo models)

Although most vendors don't even tell you what wireless card you get, never mind the revision, so I don't see how I will be able to tell.

Just curious, Sal (I know I'm thread hijacking here, sorry!)

Was there any difference between the two laptops. Was one with the new Celeron M 520 or one of the new 5xx range processors?

Thanks anyway

Didnt work for me at first (JaS 10.4.6) but after using oldschool's plugins folder advice it works great! This is on a Shuttle AMD system with a VIA K8M800 Motherboard, Realtek ALC650 sound. Both channels work great now! Thanks!

@SAL can u please tell me how u got audio working i m a n00b please help sorry for posting in the wrong post

it wud b nice if u cud upload the files 2 sum filesharing sites

thnx