Do I need to select the X11 package during installation?

sofakng

6 posts in this topic

I'm installing Mac OS X 10.4.8 (JaS + PPF1 + PPF2) for the first time and at the beginning of the installation I was given some choices.

I selected to install "Printer Fonts", and "AMD SSE2.SSE3" or something like that, but I didn't include "Common Hardware Support" or "X11" (and anything else I think?)

Do I need to install X11?

Do I need to install common hardware support? (my video card is an nVidia 8800 GTX and pretty much everything else I have is on-board my ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard [w/AMD Opteron 165 chip]).

Thanks for any help!

You don't need X11 (you can always install it later if you want). You don't need printers either really. It makes more sense to just download the driver for your printer. You don't want to check the box to install everything for common hardware support. Click the little arrow and only install things for your hardware.

X11 is a developer program, it doesnt serve a purpose to regular users.

Also I believe your 8800GTX isnt supported in OS X at the moment. It will give video but you might only beable to use 1024x768 resolution and you definately wont get Quartz Extreme/Core Image.

The X11 is a developer tool, you dont nead it.

(no neaded all languages support, all printers drivers)

Install minimal packages for best result.

Post if succed and possible problems after installation to try solutions.

X11 isnt, strictly speaking, purely a development tool. It gives you an X11 environment in Mac OS X. What does this mean? If you dont know, its very likely you dont need it. ;)

Most other UNIXes use X11 as their windowing system, whereas Mac OS X uses its own proprietry systems (Quartz, Aqua etc). To use graphical software ported from other UNIX systems under Mac OS X, you use the X11 package.

For an example of a Mac OS X app which needs the X11 package, see here: http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/

OpenOffice also requires X11 to run, if you choose to use the 'real' version.

However, NeoOffice is based off the OpenOffice core, and has the full Aqua interface.

It's your choice... however, X11 can be useful.