Wow. The anti-aliasing on a mac is 100x better than on windows.

Guest Ramm

11 posts in this topic

Guest Ramm

After seeing my avatar on Windows and Mac...goddamn Windows' anti-aliasing sucks. Seriously. It looks like I am looking at my avatar through Windows 95 Vision.

Nasty.

what, im pritty sure thats just your browser, and emm..... aa is for gaming and stuff, i dont think that the os uses it since xp doesnt use the gpu in the first place for the os

so it would be because osx uses the gpu (and so does vista) but xp doesnt, i think it shoves the work off to the cpu

btw, your right, it does look likecrap on xp, idk about vista though

Guest Ramm

XP, of course. And what I am talking about it pretty much anti-aliasing, although not exactly. It's the same effect.

Is this Vista or XP that you're looking at it in? Vista seems to have fixed that problem...

naw, im in vista and it still looks like shiit

but idk

it does look better, it may be the web browser though (im using firefox in both...)

Guest Ramm

I am using Firefox on Windows and Camino on Mac, so there shouldn't be any different (both mozilla based).

This has nothing to do with antialiasing.

Internet Explorer 6 simply doesn't support transparency with PNGs. It does in 7, and Firefox always has.

The guy saying he's using Firefox in Windows and it still looks bad is just suffering from placebo.

Yes its because IE 6 doesnt support transparent png's, its not antialiasing and images look the same in all OS's. Its the brower thats messing the image up. OS X and Windows do have real antialiasing, but only for text. Its called Clear Type in Windows and font smoothing or something in OS X. The Windows version is actually FAR supperior to OS X, especially with small text which OS X mangles pretty badly. Its the best on Vista, the text is damn near perfect.

The Windows version is actually FAR supperior to OS X, especially with small text which OS X mangles pretty badly.

Thats why the option of setting the anti-aliasing threshold is there in OS X, as it allows you to control at what font size the AA should start kicking in. The default level is 4, so anything below font size 4 displayed on your screen will not be anti-aliased, and will be aliased, but it wont look bad, becuase of the small font size. :)

Its still quite a bit worse than Windows. I think the default font size is actually 8 or 6 for font smoothing. I had to enable it for lower because there are VB forums that use smaller text for certain stuff and it was almost unreadable without font smoothing turned on, and with font smoothing turned on it was quite blurry and faded but atleast readable. Vista manages to keep perfect sharpness and shape regardless of the size, its almost as good as printed text (if my monitor had a higher resolution then I imagine it would be as good as printed text).

Its still quite a bit worse than Windows. I think the default font size is actually 8 or 6 for font smoothing. I had to enable it for lower because there are VB forums that use smaller text for certain stuff and it was almost unreadable without font smoothing turned on, and with font smoothing turned on it was quite blurry and faded but atleast readable. Vista manages to keep perfect sharpness and shape regardless of the size, its almost as good as printed text (if my monitor had a higher resolution then I imagine it would be as good as printed text).

I have opposite feeling, I just can look on XP anymore even with ClearType enabled, I use Vista long ago but don't remember it is better anyway XP ClearType sucks.