very very low xbench score !

20hz

16 posts in this topic

I just put together a system and I have 10.4.6 jas installed. the system is as follows

intel d915gag mb

p4 3.2

256 megs ram pc3200

gma 900 graphics

80 gig ata hd

Everything works but my xbench score is very low, my cpu score is 9.89 total score is 11.78

is there anything i can check or do to get better results. I know i need more ram for one thing..

Thanks !

Hi 20hz:

That does seem rather low.

I ran XBench on my Dell Inspiron 1300 (Celeron M 2.3gHz / 1GB RAM / GMA900 Graphics / 40GB IDE) and my CPU was 46.67 and the Total Average was 71.27 due to good scores on Graphics, Quartz and OpenGL.

I would say 512MB is practical minimum but 1GB or more would be preferred.

EDIT: My scores closely resemble Mac Mini ("Aaron's Core Solo") but I feel that the system "feels" much faster due to the extra 512MB.

I agree that 256MB will severely slow down OS X, but it's not going to make XBench score a 9, as a good CPU test shouldn't hit anything other than L1 and L2 cache. I say get GeekBench and see what that gives you. It's more detailed in the results, showing scores for individual tests instead of just "CPU" and "Memory." It doesn't test graphics or hard drive, but it should give you a better idea of exactly what is running slowly.

Thanks for the info. Yea I do know that I need to get more ram. Just seems to be slow, I read so many other people geting much higher scores and mine is the lowest I have seen posted anywhere. I will adress the ram issue this weekend, but should that cause the cpu and all the other stuff to be so slow? I ran geekbench it took about 8 or so mins to finish and here is what I got.

Geekbench Score 679

Version Geekbench 2.0.2

Platform Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Operating System Mac OS X 10.4.6 (Build 8I1119)

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz

Model Hackintosh

Memory 256 MB 333 MHz DDR SDRAM

System Information

Platform Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Compiler GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5363)

Operating System Mac OS X 10.4.6 (Build 8I1119)

Model Hackintosh

Motherboard ADP2,1

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz

Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5

Logical Processors 1

Physical Processors 0

Processor Frequency 3.20 GHz

L1 Instruction Cache 12.0 KB

L1 Data Cache 16.0 KB

L2 Cache 2.00 MB

L3 Cache 0.00 B

Bus Frequency 800 MHz

Memory 256 MB

Memory Type 333 MHz DDR SDRAM

SIMD 1

Integer Performance 528

Blowfish

single-threaded scalar 2339

102.8 MB/sec

Blowfish

multi-threaded scalar 2033

83.3 MB/sec

Text Compress

single-threaded scalar 141

464.2 KB/sec

Text Compress

multi-threaded scalar 137

462.9 KB/sec

Text Decompress

single-threaded scalar 160

674.9 KB/sec

Text Decompress

multi-threaded scalar 158

646.7 KB/sec

Image Compress

single-threaded scalar 661

5.47 Mpixels/sec

Image Compress

multi-threaded scalar 572

4.81 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress

single-threaded scalar 275

4.62 Mpixels/sec

Image Decompress

multi-threaded scalar 214

3.50 Mpixels/sec

Crafty Chess

single-threaded scalar 88

44.6 Knodes/sec

Crafty Chess

multi-threaded scalar 87

42.4 Knodes/sec

Lua

single-threaded scalar 252

97.3 Knodes/sec

Lua

multi-threaded scalar 281

108.2 Knodes/sec

Floating Point Performance 992

Mandelbrot

single-threaded scalar 1208

803.8 Mflops

Mandelbrot

multi-threaded scalar 980

641.4 Mflops

Dot Product

single-threaded scalar 620

299.8 Mflops

Dot Product

multi-threaded scalar 460

209.7 Mflops

Dot Product

single-threaded vector 166

199.2 Mflops

Dot Product

multi-threaded vector 220

229.6 Mflops

LU Decomposition

single-threaded scalar 114

102.2 Mflops

LU Decomposition

multi-threaded scalar 128

112.4 Mflops

Primality Test

single-threaded scalar 134

20.1 Mflops

Primality Test

multi-threaded scalar 108

20.2 Mflops

Sharpen Image

single-threaded scalar 2020

4.71 Mpixels/sec

Sharpen Image

multi-threaded scalar 1736

4.00 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image

single-threaded scalar 3411

2.70 Mpixels/sec

Blur Image

multi-threaded scalar 2595

2.04 Mpixels/sec

Memory Performance 514

Read Sequential

single-threaded scalar 555

695.9 MB/sec

Write Sequential

single-threaded scalar 829

580.8 MB/sec

Stdlib Allocate

single-threaded scalar 293

1.10 Mallocs/sec

Stdlib Write

single-threaded scalar 816

1.69 GB/sec

Stdlib Copy

single-threaded scalar 81

85.6 MB/sec

Stream Performance 447

Stream Copy

single-threaded scalar 266

373.8 MB/sec

Stream Copy

single-threaded vector 666

885.4 MB/sec

Stream Scale

single-threaded scalar 275

366.4 MB/sec

Stream Scale

single-threaded vector 612

846.0 MB/sec

Stream Add

single-threaded scalar 322

498.3 MB/sec

Stream Add

single-threaded vector 687

979.4 MB/sec

Stream Triad

single-threaded scalar 402

570.0 MB/sec

Stream Triad

single-threaded vector 352

676.4 MB/sec

hmm...it's possible that it actually might be memory related. I don't know for sure, but it's interesting that the only test in the Integer test that scored normally (Blowfish) only takes about 4KB of memory. I don't know how much memory "Crafty Chess" is set to take in the Geek Bench score, but it could be anywhere from 3-64MB, so if your computer has absolutely no memory available, that one might be hitting VM (and you got about 1/10th what my P4 scores on that one). I tried to take up all my memory by creating RAM disks so I could see how it would run, but ironically even RAM disks use VM, so no matter what, I have about a gig of real RAM available. lol.

I also noticed that your GeekBench results show 0 physical processors and 1 logical processor. That doesn't make any sense. lol. Do you have hyperthreading disabled in BIOS or something? Your multi-thread results are all lower than your single thread results.

Yes I do have Hypertheading disabled in the bios because my computer will not boot if its on. I think my cpu is not an HT cpu. I hope this is ram related I dont know what else to do...

Thanks

Yes my first install was 10.4.8 jas but alot of stuff would not work. I would choose the gma 900 support and when osx would load all i would see was blue squares. So i installed it again without the gma 900 support and it worked but without being able to choose video res. eathernet would not work as well so I went to 10.4.6 jas and everything works great execpt that its very slow like the benchmarks say. I am just installing whats on the jas dvd do I need to do other installs of diffrent kexts ?? Is there just a patch to go from 10.4.6 to 10.4.8 ??

I did a test where I took another hard drive and installed win xp with Hypertheading on in the bios. Everything worked and xp installed just fine. Now when I try to install osx with Hypertheading on in the bios it starts up goes to the grey screen with the apple little logo for a few seconds then it just reboots. I have used several diffrent ver's of osx86 but the same thing happens with all of them. But if I dissable Hypertheading in the bios it works just fine and i am able to install. I looked up my cpu and it does support Hypertheading it is a

Intel Pentium® 4 641 Processor Prescott 3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775, 2MB Cache. Could this be my whole problem with the low low xbench scores? because Hypertheading is dissabled ?? or am I over looking somthing in the bios ?? Please help..

Thanks !!

I just rebooted with HyperThreading disabled, and it didn't affect my score by much. I get about 2200 in GeekBench with HT enabled, and I this is what I got with it disabled:

GeekBench Score: 1942

Integer Performance: 1423

Floating Point Performance: 2143

Memory Performance: 2626

Stream Performance: 1692

I have almost the same CPU as you do - a P4 630. GeekBench shows 1 physical processor and 1 logical processor, which is correct. I'm still confused as to why yours say 0 physical processors. That's obviously not possible. lol. Your motherboard shouldn't have any problems with osx86 as far as I can tell. Which osx86 image are you using (full name). Mine is JaS 10.4.8 Intel/AMD SSE2 SSE3.

Hello sarahbau,

This is the one I have i think. JaS OSx86 10.4.6 Install DVD

that works on Intel and AMD systems, both

SSE2 and SSE3 CPUs.

I got that from the discription. I just also updated the bios and I still have the same problem it wont boot osx with HT on in the bios. But by what you are saying I guess that ht is not what is making it score so low. We have almost the same cpu and your scores are very good. Like you say geekbench shows 0 physical processors ?? I am going to run it again with the new bios update and see what happens..

Just ran the test same result. Logical processors 1 Physical processors 0 wow this is fustrating !!!

I have installed 1gb of ddr 400 ram and I did notice a bit of an improvment but not much. my xbench cpu score is about a 10.0 now. When I run final cut pro i cant even play back normal video because it drops frames. Installing stuff takes so very long. I dont know what else to check could it be my motherboard?? or video ?? Please any help would be greatly welcome!!! Thhanks !!