ASUS EN8500GT SILENT/HTD/256M

13 posts in this topic

Possibly.

I have not heard of anyone that has one that is willing to try it with Natit or NVidiaEFI kernel extensions. It is 256MB so there will (probably) not be any issues with Darwin seeing how much memory it has. Also, it is not quite an 8800 (there have been known issues with OSX and 8800's). I think that the 8800's may even work if someone is willing to try flashing the BIOS on the card so that Darwin can recognize it. Once Darwin recognizes how much memory is on the card then Natit/NVidiaEFI can do it's job from there (and possibly give full acceleration).

There is a very likely chance that it will work. If you end up getting one and trying it please report back. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this?

Edit:

Also, there are some issues with the 8600 cards. The likely hood of this card fully working is slowly going down. :rolleyes:

I am also interested to see if this card work or not. Another card is also interesting, the 8600GT, which is also have 256MB. Let's see if they works or not.

I'm using Gigabyte 8600GT, it can show the screen, just cannot refresh each window properly when scroll down or move the windows. titan or Nati or macvidia does not work for my JAs 10.4.8 install., they got blank, hang or panic

:hysterical:

I'm using Gigabyte 8600GT, it can show the screen, just cannot refresh each window properly when scroll down or move the windows. titan or Nati or macvidia does not work for my JAs 10.4.8 install., they got blank, hang or panic

:P

Have you tried putting your device ID's in the actual kext?

That may be the step to solving the problem. Just a guess as I am currently using a 7950GT...

There is no driver for G80 aka NV50 cards

What would happen if you added the G80 to the NV40 kext along with natit? Couldn't you just make Mac think that it is a NV40 card and be done with it? I know that you can make it look like your card is actually a different model. Just look at Aquamac's 7900XT that he soft strapped to a Quadro FX 4500... Maybe the newer lines of the cards that come with a Mac Pro are using the 8000 series GPU's and we can just soft strap it to look like a Mac card...

I know that these are questions with no basis at all, but it is always good to brainstorm...

I think it's going to be a bit more complicated than adding the device ID to the kext. That can be done with the 7x00 cards because Apple has drivers for that series already. The 8x00 cards are new, and Apple doesn't use them yet. Once they start shipping computers with the new cards, it will be easier to get them working in osx86.

I think it's going to be a bit more complicated than adding the device ID to the kext. That can be done with the 7x00 cards because Apple has drivers for that series already. The 8x00 cards are new, and Apple doesn't use them yet. Once they start shipping computers with the new cards, it will be easier to get them working in osx86.

Do you know anything about spoofing OSX into thinking that it is a similar card that works up until Apple starts using the 8800 GPUs? That probably wouldn't work, but would be worth a try. Soft-strapping it like aquamac has done would be an option. I know what I am thinking is crazy and probably can't be done. But like I said, I am just brain storming...

What would happen if you added the G80 to the NV40 kext along with natit? Couldn't you just make Mac think that it is a NV40 card and be done with it? I know that you can make it look like your card is actually a different model. Just look at Aquamac's 7900XT that he soft strapped to a Quadro FX 4500... Maybe the newer lines of the cards that come with a Mac Pro are using the 8000 series GPU's and we can just soft strap it to look like a Mac card...

I know that these are questions with no basis at all, but it is always good to brainstorm...

7900 and quadro fx 4500 are based on same architecture, G70-nv4x, so the soft trick works

Only hope is apple, that he starts to sell macs with G80 cards, and then we will have our drivers

• 2 weeks later...

From osx86project

Geforce 8600GT, 256MB = No Go.

Darwin dectect a VESA 3.0 video card, with 14 MB video RAM .. no QE/CI

When will drivers for the 8500/8600 series cards.

The price / performance ratio on these things is pretty nice