Which version of OS X is best for my laptop?

-=MaFiA=-

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the forums and looking for info about some problems I've been having recently...

To the point - I dont know which version of OS X to install on my laptop (dual-boot with Windows). Can someone please help out?

Here are my specs:

Acer, inc. Aspire 3502 NLCi

1.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron M

64 kilobyte primary memory cache

1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

SAMSUNG MP0402H [Hard drive] (40.06 GB) -- drive 0

Board: Acer, Inc. Lugano

Bus Clock: 400 megahertz

1214 Megabytes Installed Memory

I've heard of the many "JaS" releases, but dont exactly know what that is and what their advantages are over the other versions...

Sorry, I'm kind of new to Mac...

Thanks

Ok, theoretically, it should work. I recommend JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3, find it in the usual places. It seems to be very stable.

Ok, theoretically, it should work. I recommend JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3, find it in the usual places. It seems to be very stable.

Stable and reliable and it comes also with most common patches released.

I'll third the JaS 10.4.8 DVD recommendation. It works fine on a number of SSE2 machines for me. I also don't recommend attempting to upgrade to 10.4.9 at this stage, even though there are sse2 kernels for that too. I've had no end of trouble with it and only got it running properly on one machine!

I um figured I'd not create a new thread for the same question as this one, what OSX would be best for my hardware specs?

post-101931-1178108215_thumb.jpg

I have used the iso with the name "JMOSX1048ALLPACH.iso" released by JaS, none other OSX has ever recognized my audio hardware and stuff but 10.4.8 install gets all my hardware except the WUSB54G but that was set up easily. I can get all my hardware working with other OSX versions also but since 10.4.8 does make my laptop's cooler go woosh all the time I figure that it might be too strong as 10.4.3 had no problems at all?

I checked the applewhatever.kext file but was not present either, it works quite smoothly but my laptop gets hot (more than it normally does) and the woosh keeps going on as I said before, I had no problem with this on earlier versions of OSX, so could it be the 10.4.8 version requiring much more?

Thanks in advance!

Power management in OS X with AMD processors doesn't exist, I'm afraid. The CPUs will run with pretty much 100% of their possible heat output and power drain almost all the time. That's why I gave up trying to run it on my Turion64 notebook. Although Power Management as a whole under OSX86 isn't great even with Intel CPUs, AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext generally works to make sure the CPU gets put into its idle state when not working, saving lots of power, heat and noise.

@ -=MaFiA=-

I would highly recommend you should install using tubgirl verison, it has the most drivers I could see over any JaS verisons. I personally installed that onto a older intel p4, and it worked fine... only problem is finding the drivers for the networking card.

@ Eskun

Do not try and hijack another thread, your efforts are noted but i would make my own topic. I would also recommend you to tubgirl as well..

@ Both

10.4.8 Tubgirl

• 2 weeks later...
@ -=MaFiA=-

I would highly recommend you should install using tubgirl verison, it has the most drivers I could see over any JaS verisons. I personally installed that onto a older intel p4, and it worked fine... only problem is finding the drivers for the networking card.

@ Eskun

Do not try and hijack another thread, your efforts are noted but i would make my own topic. I would also recommend you to tubgirl as well..

@ Both

10.4.8 Tubgirl

Thanks, I will download that one then!

From all other forums I have been registered on they always wined about not creating new topics over same subjects, but if that is no problem here I will create new topics from now on. ^^

Sorry about this one, didn't mean to give the hijack impression!~

Peace