Got GeForce 6200..Do I need better?

11 posts in this topic

Hi friends,

Just need your advice.

I've switched from ATI 9600 to GeForce 6200 a few days ago. For better drivers and to avoid of mouse tearing.

Everything is absolutely great and stabile and what I've expected. But..

I'm not quite happy with the quality of the picture. I mean, it's not as good as same card does with XP - fonts, scrolling - everything is not as sharp and smooth as on XP.

Is it "what else you'd expect?" or better graphic card (say, geforce 7600) can give better picture?

I'm not a gamer and all I need is nice and fast responsive screen for desktop, Safari and some audio apps.

Thanks for any input.

vokator

10.4.9 (10.4.7 Jas manual updated with 10.4.9 combo)

Semthex latest kernal

Asus P4C800E deluxe

Built-in audio - works

Ethernet - works

GeForce MSI 6200 - Titan

10.4.9 (10.4.7 Jas manual updated with 10.4.9 combo)

Semthex latest kernal

Asus P4C800E deluxe

Built-in audio - works

Ethernet - works

GeForce MSI 6200 - Titan

Hi, I'm getting am Asus 6200 in a couple of days, can you tell me if it was fully supported (QE/CI etc.)?

My Nvidia 6600GT AGP is more compatible with x86 than my Ati Radeon 9600 and my Ati Radeon Mobility 9700. With Natit (installable from 10.4.8. SSE3 DVD) the 6600GT does all the tricks and has QE/CI enabled. Both my Radeon's had QE and CI enabled but color depth switching nor resolution switching was possible and both Ati cards suffer from mouse artifacts, where the mouse cursor causes "redraw mistakes" when it is moved over graphics or when graphics are moved underneath the cursor. This is fixed with a little program called mouselocator which makes it possible to use alternate mouse cursor graphics, the trick is using a blank alternative mouse graphic that basically clears the rubbish created by the original mouse on my Ati cards.

I am not sure which Ati cards suffer from this error, I can image that more recent graphic Ati Graphic cards are functioning like native performance of my Nvidia. The 6600 and higher will be a little faster than your 6200 but if you are not into games getting a newer Nvidia or Ati card will probably be very much overkill.

As for playing games, the Nvidia 6600GT is far more capable of running things like Prey or Doom III than the Ati 9600 is.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I've not decided yet should I stick with 6200 or switch to some compatible ATI card.

It seems to me that 9600 gave a better picture even without QE/QI enabled. It's very subjective, of course.

Hey

I have a Nvidia 6200 now in MacOsx and the graphics are so good I THINK that better than Windows Xp, the video card is fully compatible with MacosX, Titan and Natit uni (Natit Uni doesn't work for me) Makes a good Job. MacOsX graphics are much better than WindowsXp graphics all the time... maybe some videos in mac are not so good in quality but this is problem of codecs, I think. But I'm really sure that my graphics are much better in MacOsX 10.4.9. You can go to display and change the filter of colors or calibrate your display this will give to you a better control on color quality....I love Adobe RGB (1988) colors. So I'm very happy with my Nvidia 6200.

Nvidia 6200 has Quartz Extreme and core image enabled with Natit or Titan. I preferred Titan

Thank you guys for your comments.

I'm talking about "less clearance" of details. Fonts are looking not so sharp, maybe... Overall, it's seems harder to read texts in Safari etc..

I've tried to change font smoothing prefs, but couldn't get any better results.

Do you guys have a sluggish animation in dock sometime? I don't remember having this with ATI card even when several apps were running.

I wanted to do A/B comparison with 9600, but after installation of Natit/Titan i can't seems to revert back to ATI card - black screen after boot.

Tried to search for solution but nothing seems to work...

Thanks again

I have SyncMaster 17" analog display

• 2 weeks later...

hecker, vokatar:

What resolution do you use?

In my case, I use 22" syncmaster, evga 6200 LE, 1680x1050x32.

The problem is not only font but also divx image.

I think people saying about font issue mostly they use 1680x1050. It seems that is not standard resolution in real macs.

I was so excited when I saw Mac OS X running on my old PC. Then I bought 6200 LE expecting more graphic quality than my on-board 865G.

QE/CI/OGL everything looks great insanely, but blurry font or font smoothing whatever started annoying me.

I know Apple's is better than Windows Clear Type. But at least on my PC, Clear Type is very comforable with my eyes.

:-)