fps in Quake III on a Hackintosh

Otzi

13 posts in this topic

I would be interested in how well Quake III as well as other games run on your hackintoshes ?

With an Universial Binary in Quake III I only get around 100 - 500 fps

Warcraft III runs with around 60-100 fps

My Configuration:

Pentium D 805 2.66 Ghz (@3Ghz)

2 GB of DDR-II RAM 667 Mhz

Asus EN7300 GT + QE/CI/Open GL

ASRock 775 Dual VSTA Mainboard (5.1 Sound/Network/SATA all working!)

Mac OS X 10.4.9 with Darwin 8.8.1 Kernel

I would be interested in how well Quake III as well as other games run on your hackintoshes ?

With an Universial Binary in Quake III I only get around 100 - 500 fps

Only? You know that's somewhere between 1.3 and 8.3 times faster than your monitor refreshes, right? There's no reason to have higher. lol.

Thanks for letting us know there was a universal binary for quake 3. Just tried it and got the following (my system details are in my sig):

with setting at high quality (800x600) I get:

first run of demo (with 'timedemo 1' set): 566.5fps. second run: 570.1fps

with setting at high quality (res changed to 1280x1024) I get: 249.8fps. second run 249.8fps

with setting at normal (640x480) I get: 682.9fps, second run: 689.3fps

with setting at fast (512x384 and ugly) I get: 693.1fps. second run: 699.2fps

For other people who want to try this. press ~ in the main quake 3 screen to bring up the console. Type in: timedemo 1

then press enter and press ~ again to get out of the console.

select the demo menu and run the demo that is listed. when the demo is finished, press ~ again to see what your average fps was.

In quake 4 it sits around 60fps in general gameplay with not very high settings (high quality 1024x768 no shadows, no antialiasing). If I turn on shodows etc it slows down noticeably.

fabcat

Hi there from spain :(

I have Quake4 and Quake3 installed on my hackintosch with an ATI 1800XT 512mb, All is fine except for some "fire" textures on quake4, quake3 is around 120 fps at 1024x768, Quake 4 about 60fps at 1280x800 all the time, if you want to make some test in my machine this are my specs:

Asus A8N-SLI-Premium

AMD64 3200+ Venice

2GB OCZ DDR500 Platinum

Sapphire 1800XT 512MB

4HD 2 SATA (not working in MacOS) and 2 ATA

NEC DVDRW ND-3520-AW

AC97 ALC850 and Tascam US-428 Sound (both works)

All works fine, except SATA, and system clock is 2 hours late when i start MacOS until i launch the time options...:/

QE/QI works fine

All was fine installing ADM 1048 AMD Final Tubgirl ISO, ¿there is some improvement with other graphic dirvers?

Thanks to all for your nice work and sorry for my poor english.

Alex.

Guest Ramm

Wow. My computer sucks compared to that (FPS wise). I average, like, 15 in TES: Oblivion (which with all due respect, isn't that bad for a game like that). I have never even played a game on Mac ;).

Where the quake3 stores the "*.cfg" files in the mac version?, i can´t see them.

I have one inside the baseq3 folder which is inside the Quake3 folder. But it is an old file so I don't think it is used. Eg:

Quake3/baseq3/q3config.cfg

There is another one in here. I think this is the one that is used as for me it has been modified more recently:

/Users/ <your current username> /Library/Application\ Support/Quake3/baseq3/q3config.cfg

Thank you very much, i locate the folder and put inside my own cfg´s, ehmm... only one more thing, jeje, how i can show the console? the "º" and "´" don´t work :)

Thanks in advance.

Alex.

*** EDIT ***

Ok ok i got it --> bind ` "toggleconsole"

heheh thanks :-)

*** NEW EDIT ***

Damn! for some reason i can´t go to the console, i don´t know why :-( any ideas?

*** NEW EDIT 2 ***

Solved!, for some reason for me (Apple keyboard, cinema display 20" and a hackintosch) the console only works with F13, i don´t know why :), sorry for my posting

• 2 months later...

To those wondering why you NEED Quake 3 (or any other FPS) to run at 8 times the speed that your monitor can handle I say this:

Because when you get online and get playing with 20-30 other people the framerates dip. The higher your computer can get the framerates in a timedemo the less of this dipping you see. I am sure there is some magical number that you do not have to get above....but timedemo numbers for Quake 3 are very good indicators of the speed of a machine, maybe even better than xbench numbers. Quake 3 scales very well with cpu speeds. I always hated all of the whining about why you need above 60 FPS if that is all your monitor can produce. If your machine gets 60 FPS in timedemo....you are going to be seeing less than 10 FPS in a heated online battle. I get almost 200 FPS everything maxxed and at 1280x1024....but I still drop under 100 when on ctf4 with a lot of people.....I would love to keep that low framerate above 125 (a magic number for jumping and running the fastest).

The only complaints I have about timedemos are I wish people would say the OS/Kernal version/Ram (and type)/CPU/GPU and the settings they chose to timedemo at.....now that would be nice!

:D