What's wrong with Ubuntu 7.04

Alessandro17

22 posts in this topic

http://apcmag.com/5981/hands_on_with_ubuntu_7_04_part_1

"I have great expectations for 7.04, and unfortunately they're not all met. If you're a fanboy, don't read on, because I'll shatter your fragile world."

"Remember, it's out love for Ubuntu that I'm being so harsh. Look where we're at -- 7.04, a number of significant releases since 4.10 Warty three years ago -- and it still can't manage the display properly. It's the small things, the polish, that make the biggest impact."

Is the sacred cow not so sacred any longer? Personally I was never an Ubuntu fan. My favorites have always been Debian and SUSE, and I failed to see what was so special about Ubuntu.

http://apcmag.com/5981/hands_on_with_ubuntu_7_04_part_1

"I have great expectations for 7.04, and unfortunately they're not all met. If you're a fanboy, don't read on, because I'll shatter your fragile world."

"Remember, it's out love for Ubuntu that I'm being so harsh. Look where we're at -- 7.04, a number of significant releases since 4.10 Warty three years ago -- and it still can't manage the display properly. It's the small things, the polish, that make the biggest impact."

Is the sacred cow not so sacred any longer? Personally I was never an Ubuntu fan. My favorites have always been Debian and SUSE, and I failed to see what was so special about Ubuntu.

well me too..i am not a fan of ubuntu..don't see the advantages other then being free and for humanity..

suse my favourite..

The new features of Ubuntu 7 are something you cant say "Wow!" you can only say "oh.. ok..." I am a Linux user since 4 months now, and so many headckes have come to me because of ubuntu, the repositories, the Terminal oh god! its just something that is NOT nice for a new user to the Linux World! you have to be a Linux user for over a year to really like it!, I've been from Windows 98, 2000, XP, then to Ubuntu 6 to Mac OS X and had an old computer after that with Ubuntu 7, and really... I prefer Mac OS X, because as much as everyone says it.. it just works!

I am a Linux user since 4 months now, and so many headckes have come to me because of ubuntu, the repositories, the Terminal oh god! its just something that is NOT nice for a new user to the Linux World! you have to be a Linux user for over a year to really like it!, I've been from Windows 98, 2000, XP, then to Ubuntu 6 to Mac OS X and had an old computer after that with Ubuntu 7, and really... I prefer Mac OS X, because as much as everyone says it.. it just works!

I am somebody who has been using Linux for several years and I have tried hundreds of distributions. That is exactly why I don't like Ubuntu.

If somebody told me that Ubuntu was made for the sole purpose of causing despair to new users, so that they go back to Windows and say "Oh well, I tried Linux, it was rubbish and from now on I'll always use Windows", I'd believe it. You can't make a Linux distribution as buggy as Ubuntu (and ugly, for that matter), unless you do it on purpose.

Why people who try SUSE are, generally speaking, always satisfied (except for 10.1 which had a bit of a mix up with the package manager, but a remaster was released a few months later)?

Besides, has anybody else noticed that Windows zealots are often also Ubuntu zealots? Isn't it funny?

As to OS X I couldn't agree more, it just works. And that is true even if you carefully select your hardware and build a hackintosh.

Instead of complaining how ugly the DE is, isn't it much easier to go to Gnome Looks or KDE Looks and download themes and icons? I mean, I would rather download a 700mb ISO than download a behemoth DVD or 5 CD collection just to install a workstation Linux. Isn't that what repos are for? I mean yes, it's great to have a lot of apps on a single media, but come on... when you update in 30 days, you will be downloading an updated app version which makes the one on the disk media obsolete.

Why not complain about more relevant things like very little open source support from AMD/ATI. Can you blame the "sh*ty" Linux developers that can't get there hands on the source from AMD? Lets be a little more realistic shall we?

What about just getting the AirPort Exteme to work out of the box? Oh, ad lets not forget PPC Ubuntu has handed over to the community and "official" not supported by Canonical after Edgy?

MIA codecs? Can anyone tell me which other distro will automatically download the codec your machine is missing so you don't have to look for and install more packages than you really need? Lets talk about what advances Linux has made instead of the little things that bug us. Bugs can be squashed after all.

In the end Linux isn't for everyone, and neither are OS X, and Windows. Evaluate your needs. If you dislike an OS, move on. Theres no point in re-writing what has already been written 3, 6, 12, 24 months ago (in reference to the article).

Instead of complaining how ugly the DE is, isn't it much easier to go to Gnome Looks or KDE Looks and download themes and icons?...

Lets talk about what advances Linux has made instead of the little things that bug us. Bugs can be squashed after all.

In the end Linux isn't for everyone, and neither are OS X, and Windows. Evaluate your needs. If you dislike an OS, move on. Theres no point in re-writing what has already been written 3, 6, 12, 24 months ago (in reference to the article).

Ugly looks isn't the main point (albeit important. If Ubuntu is meant for Joe User, he is not likely to change it: he knows nothing about Gnome Looks. Instead, he'll keep the sh#t brown look, as the Germans call it)

Yes, bugs can be squashed, but every Ubuntu release is buggier than the previous. And you talk about Linux and Ubuntu as if they were the same thing. Fortunately they are not. Linux has indeed made great advances.

Why I am so much against Ubuntu? Because it is unlike every other distro in Linux history. Take the hype away and you'll be left with (almost) nothing.

And nobody ever has been able to give me a satisfactory explanation of why forking Debian was necessary. Except for Ubuntu, Debian has hundreds of other derivatives which aren't a fork.

You must understand that there are different types of users of Linux. Power Users are knowledgeable and usually like to customize the distro down to the very last inch. Now there are average joes, who just want to usually get away from windows, and will most likely tinker a little but stay with most of the default options. Then there are businesses, that want stability and usually go towards suse.

That being said.... Gentoo ftw. B)

Come on with that nonsense. Windows would still have the rolling hills if it weren't for theme sites, and Tiger would still have polished metal if it weren't for shapeshifter and UNO. I hate candyland blue and sure don't like the default mismatching window decor on Tiger. I don't see your point with Joe Blow not being able to search for theme sites for any DE for Linux.

Funny how you talk about bugs that I never encounter. Yes there are the bugs that i do encounter, but thats what Launchpad is for. Those who complain probably never even took the time to fill out a bug report. I talk about Linux, as in every distro. The bugs in the kernel, the graphics drivers, and x.org, etc, are inherent to every distro upstream. So yes, if one takes a dump, they all do.

Try posting that rant about why they forked Debian over at the ubuntu forums.

I have tried Ubuntu(edgy and feisty)it is not "user Friendly"....unless you have a low end hardware system and don't want good 3D support. OpenSuse 10.2 works great, YAST is very good for getting latest drivers. Mandriva powerpack is also very good, have tried Gentoo(pain in the rear) and a few other distros. On a satisfaction level Ubuntu would not rate very high. Ubuntu seems to be the darling of the PC crowd(I don't mean Personal Computer).I will think for myself and not follow the other Lemmings off of the Ubuntu cliff, thank you.

Try posting that rant about why they forked Debian over at the ubuntu forums.

Bright! What reaction can you expect if you have an opinion which is the opposite of that of the majority?

I have lost count how many times I have heard from Ubuntu idiots: "Debian must die".

Funny how you talk about bugs that I never encounter. Yes there are the bugs that i do encounter, but thats what Launchpad is for. Those who complain probably never even took the time to fill out a bug report. I talk about Linux, as in every distro. The bugs in the kernel, the graphics drivers, and x.org, etc, are inherent to every distro upstream. So yes, if one takes a dump, they all do.

Reporting bugs makes sense when they are one or two, not when they are dozens or hundreds, and almost nothing seems to work right.

As to the rest, if it was true, all distros should be equally polished or buggy, which is most definitely not the case.

I have tried Ubuntu(edgy and feisty)it is not "user Friendly"....unless you have a low end hardware system and don't want good 3D support. OpenSuse 10.2 works great, YAST is very good for getting latest drivers. Mandriva powerpack is also very good, have tried Gentoo(pain in the rear) and a few other distros. On a satisfaction level Ubuntu would not rate very high. Ubuntu seems to be the darling of the PC crowd(I don't mean Personal Computer).I will think for myself and not follow the other Lemmings off of the Ubuntu cliff, thank you.

Very well said.

I have to agree with Alessandro on the forking of debian. Ubuntu has drifted away a little to far from its roots and is trying to make its own. Even the founder of Debian Linux is dissatisfied with the way Ubuntu has forked so far away.

Look at Sabayon Linux, this is how it should be. You can convert your gentoo installation into a sabayon one, which shows how it is keeping the tru base.

Bright! What reaction can you expect if you have an opinion which is the opposite of that of the majority?

So you are now "The majority"? If you have any beef with Canonical or Ubuntu, don't go to a Mac forum and whine about why they did this and that. What's done is done and no opinion and bitching will change the fact. Canonical is there to make money, that's a fact. It is a business and it, like all ventures, it must try to survive. Like I've told people like you, move on. It's not a show stopper that a group of individuals want to make money.

Most knowledgeable Linux users know that the latest hardware will probably {censored} out on any Linux distro. So to young goats that persists that some Linux distro "sucks" because it doesn't have drivers for the latest capture card and video cards can either moan to the hardware maker for not releasing the drivers quicker or make sure all their hardware works before trecking to Linux land.

Reporting bugs makes sense when they are one or two, not when they are dozens or hundreds, and almost nothing seems to work right.

Please do name only 12 things which isn't already in Launchpad, that don't work. You make sound like 7.04 is a lame duck. If so, then why is it working on my 865PE machine and 15" PowerBook G4 Al? If I wasn't smart enough to think for myself, then maybe I should do as you say and not use Linux altogether. :whistle:

I would have to agree that no distro is made to cater to every iPod user, and I have never condoned so. For that I'm glad since half of my clients use Linux workstations in their building. If Linux "Just works", millions of self employed people like myself would be out of business.

So you are now "The majority"?

I never said that. That was in reply to your "Try posting that rant about why they forked Debian over at the ubuntu forums."

Of course I could expect their reaction as the majority there.

If you have any beef with Canonical or Ubuntu, don't go to a Mac forum and whine about why they did this and that. What's done is done and no opinion and bitching will change the fact. Canonical is there to make money, that's a fact. It is a business and it, like all ventures, it must try to survive. Like I've told people like you, move on. It's not a show stopper that a group of individuals want to make money.

I don't see why I shouldn't post my opinions in "my forum" (meaning the one where I post most these days) in the relevant section.

Most knowledgeable Linux users know that the latest hardware will probably {censored} out on any Linux distro. So to young goats that persists that some Linux distro "sucks" because it doesn't have drivers for the latest capture card and video cards can either moan to the hardware maker for not releasing the drivers quicker or make sure all their hardware works before trecking to Linux land.

If that is meant for me, you are barking up the wrong tree. I have been a linux user for several years, helped thousands of people, tried hundreds of distros and my only beef is with Ubuntu, a distro that "exists" (meaning that otherwise it would be almost unknown) only thanks to the millions of Mr Shuttleworth and the hype (not to mention only thanks to the work of Debian).

You make sound like 7.04 is a lame duck.

I am not the only one who believes that. Most other distros seem to work just fine. I try almost every new release.

If I wasn't smart enough to think for myself, then maybe I should do as you say and not use Linux altogether. ;)

I would have to agree that no distro is made to cater to every iPod user, and I have never condoned so.

I will ignore that. Probably you weren't even born when I used my first computer, and when I started using linux you were probably a kid.

To Max, do what you like. This was a useless thread in the first place.

Probably you weren't even born when I used my first computer, and when I started using linux you were probably a kid.

So maybe you are over 50 or 60 years old. You've just proven that you can't teach old dogs new tricks.

don't see why I shouldn't post my opinions in "my forum" (meaning the one where I post most these days) in the relevant section.

I don't see why you should either. But do you think posting your opinions here will change Shuttleworth's future plans?

Maybe you're own indecisions about which distro to use is your problem. Move on and stick with Debi or Gentoo. I for one is tired of these "which distro and OS is better than the other". It helps no one. Even better, get a life. Maybe then you wouldn't care about Ubuntu. If you can't list the 12 things I've requested, then don't bother posting any further. Have a great time testing the next hundred Linux distributions.

Out of respect for the wishes of a moderator I'll avoid answering your insults and insinuations.

Only this:

"Maybe you're own indecisions about which distro to use is your problem."

Not in the least. I have been sure that I prefer Debian and SUSE for several years. There are also many other distros that I respect, but Ubuntu is not one of them.

"Even better, get a life. Maybe then you wouldn't care about Ubuntu."

And you, why don't you get one? I started a thread with a link to an article, and I added my own opinions. That the Ubuntu zealots wouldn't be happy about it was only to be expected.

Otherwise bashing Ubuntu is not my only interest here, not even one of my main ones. Check my other posts if you don't believe it.

Unlike others I am here because I like OS X by far more than any other OS.

Ubuntu 7.xx has far better laptop support than previous versions. A lot of laptop graphics cards have ccellerated graphics now.

It is able to import wifi connections, ethernet settings from a working WindowsXP install.

It has won me over. As I was a big Suse fan for a long time.

Just my 2 cents: Ubuntu Feisty comes with some great features, and, with no doubt, it's really more user-friendly than previous release. As you maybe noticed, Ubuntu has the bigger user community (International/localized support) and some friends of mine, I can give you a direct experience, have moved out from Windows looking for this user-friendly (or at least "in surface") distribution.

Now the question is... Ubuntu will be the next Mandriva? I am really impressed about the huge repositories which claim their "Feisty support" and as far as I know for most "more is better" then that's not a news about source.list big as a bible. What's about the security?

I like the eye-candies, I really appreciated the re-wamped wireless network support and the optimization for laptop (my Vaio UX91S works like a charm with Feisty) but... the question is... where developers are going to?

SuSE is great but I don't like it... Sabayon is a wonderful distro, Italian distro too ^_^, and I am so sad about the "stop".