What Linux Distro Would you reccommend for me?

FreakyMac

39 posts in this topic

suse was nice, i used it as my first distro

i hear alot about ubuntu, never really did anything for me.

Mandriva powerpack was great, like it stood out compared to the other distros, but its not free (torrent it.)

anyways enjoy your stay with linux =]

I would go with ubuntu instead of slackware, only because slackware can be a REAL pain to get running and you need a floppy drive to install it. Also slackware is more advanced and ubuntu would be better to start off with, learn the basics and then if like linux you could try more advanced distros.

Ok I've been Toying Around with Diffrent Distro's (Including BSD) and here are the results

Ubuntu: lack of Remember Password Feature and some key features but a Pretty Good Distro

Mandriva Powerpack: Uses ALL my Hard drive and leaves 5.1 GB Free.

Dreamlinux: Where the hell is my network Icon and my wireless don't work

Debian Etch: What they say on the CD: Touchpad is experimental and too damn slow

PCLinuxOS:.....................

Fedora Core 7: Try to get my wireless to connect, Will not connect to my network >.< Very GOOD Distro

Freespire: Ugh, VERY slow

Linspire: X.org crashes after install

PC-BSD: Very Beginner friendly, Installers, .PBI packages

FreeBSD and DesktopBSD: GOing to try

Sabayon: Going to Try

I would recommend openSUSE or PCLinuxOS. Mind you, those my not be the best if you are looking for pure performance. 'Bloat" (as long as its not BS software) doesnt bother me. I like over the top GUIs and useless, but fun effects.

I also could care less about free software. Software and Operating Systems (IMO) have every right to be closed source and charged for. I use Linux because its exciting to follow such a worthy Windows and OS X alternative.

I'm quite surprised nobody has listed Arch Linux. If you're going to get into Linux, might as well learn about it while you do it. Of course you can do the same with Slackware and such but I would recommend Arch because of its rolling release (always up to date) and easy package management (even though its CLI).

Not exactly the most user friendly, but a great way to learn.

BTW I have tried Ubuntu Feisty, Fedora 6, openSuSE 10.2, and Slackware 12, as well as previous releases of each and have found Arch the best fit for me.

sdelano

I'm quite surprised nobody has listed Arch Linux. If you're going to get into Linux, might as well learn about it while you do it. Of course you can do the same with Slackware and such but I would recommend Arch because of its rolling release (always up to date) and easy package management (even though its CLI).

looks like agood distro, ive heard of it before, but i never really tried it, i think i will now though.

I'd recommend Ubuntu or PCLINUXOS 2007 (now thats what i call a distro)

I used ubuntu/kubuntu for 2 1/2 years, then I discovered PCLOS 0.92/0.93.

Since the latest PCLOS 2007 has been released there is no reason to go anywhere else!!

I think this is THE best distro bar none!!

cheers

wanger

• 2 weeks later...
I would recommend openSUSE or PCLinuxOS. Mind you, those my not be the best if you are looking for pure performance.
Actually openSUSE 10.3 is going to be very fast. According to some faster than anything else, including Gentoo.The ugly fonts and the package management issues are going to be solved as well, thus: a killer distro.
I used ubuntu/kubuntu for 2 1/2 years, then I discovered PCLOS 0.92/0.93. Since the latest PCLOS 2007 has been released there is no reason to go anywhere else!! I think this is THE best distro bar none!!
I am (very) glad that people are leaving K/Ubuntu for PCLOS: I never saw the value of the former, I can clearly see the value of the latter.However I am going to stay with openSUSE.