Triple boot possible?

8 posts in this topic

Before I install OS X x86 10.4.4, I want to know if it's doable. I'm planning to add a 2nd hard drive, (20GB) that's unformatted. I currently have two partitions on one 120 GB hard drive, 1st partition has XP, 2nd has Vista. If I want to install OS X on the 2nd hard drive, will the Darwin bootloader be able to boot Vista and XP? I can't afford data loss either, so...

System specs: 1GB RAM 2.8GHz P4 128mb Nvidia GeForce FX5200

I don't know if the Darwin Boot Loader will be able to boot into XP and Vista, but I used to have a single HD with 4 partitions, and XP, Ubuntu, OS X, and Solaris on it. I used the GRUB boot loader, and had no problems.

My advice: partition the 20 GB HD while booted from the OSX install disk:

1. 8 to 10 GB HFS Journaled partition for OSX

2. ~10 GB FAT32 for Windows data accessibility.

For data safety, disconnect the Windows HD while installing OSX.

If you can obtain a copy of 10.4.8, try and use that version.

Switch between boot drives using the motherboard bios setup, instead of depending on an on-disc boot menu.

I don't know if the Darwin Boot Loader will be able to boot into XP and Vista, but I used to have a single HD with 4 partitions, and XP, Ubuntu, OS X, and Solaris on it. I used the GRUB boot loader, and had no problems.

hi wher cann iget the Darwin Boot Loader plz email me john1520papa@aol.com :P

I don't believe that the Darwin Bootloader will span multiple drives. I used it several times on single drive systems but never managed to get it to see across to another drive. Unless you are extremely knowledgeable, Darwin cannot be opened and tweeked either. This has been discussed previously and no one on this forum has touched it. It can be done with GRUB, Acronis and Easy BCD (for Vista). Chain0 method will work on multidrives for OSX and XP but not a tertiary drive with Solaris or Linux.

Triple booting right now.

Installed Windows XP, created primary partition on the same drive and installed OSX 10.4.8. Used chain0 in the boot.ini file to be able to dual boot. Then installed Vista on the 2nd drive, next to windows XP - so no upgrade but a fresh install next to Windows XP.

Vista displays a bootmenu with three options:

- prior version of Windows

- Vista

- OSX

When you boot into WindowsXP you also retain the choice between OSX and Windows XP.

Without additional software :)