Help pentium 4 motherboard

14 posts in this topic

Hello to all!

I have need of aid in order to choose a new motherboard compatible with macOsx.

which I can use? my hardware is:

I have already 1 processor (p4 northwood 2.66Ghz sse sse2)

and two ram from 512Mb (the characteristics taken with cpu-z are in the photo)

post-86910-1177578730_thumb.jpg

thanks for the future answers and excused for my bad English. Bye!

Read under the forums about 100% working mac osx86 units. Look at the motherboards they are using to get an idea. I have a P4 on an ASUS P5RD1, everything works on it except the Sound, which I'm sure i could figure out with the AppleHDA patcher. Also on mac osx86 wiki, someone as compiled a list of hardware the works. Research a little and you'll find a solution.

... Asus P5LD2 board (socket 775) ..

thanks to Bluetrax and juunbug for your answers! :D

But.. i have a another questions...

are different socket the 775 from socket the 478?

the socket 775 can support processor of 478' type?

unfortunately I have a processor "pentium 4 northwood" , only adapted to motherboard "socket 478" I hope is usable for socket the 775..

someone can gives a clarification to me?

tanks! bye!

You cannot use a socket 478 processor on an LGA775 motherboard. You can only use DDR2-RAM on an LGA775 platform (unless you buy something like the ASRock 775Dual series or something).

I really can't suggest a Pentium4-based system because 1) there are no Macs that use this processor, 2) motherboards for the Pentium4 have components that may not work under Mac OS X, 3) it will be slow with only SSE2 to emulate SSE3 instruction (might be buggy too).

What I can really recommend is getting an already tested motherboard (or at least mobos that have similar components [NB/SB/controllers/ETC] to those already tested) and processor combination as it will ensure that you will have a greater probability of success with installing/using Mac OS X on x86.

I couldn't recommend you {censored}, so I'd recommend a complete processor architecture upgrade (from P4 to Core/Core2) as well as changing your RAM to fit the new system. It won't be cheap but IMHO, well worth it.

Huh? There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a Pentium 4 processor as long as it's something recent (I.E. 775) and supports SSE3. My CPU has all the same CPU flags as a Core Duo processor does.

That being said, I wouldn't use any P4 that a.) Wasn't LGA775 and b.) didn't support SSE3.

Huh? There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a Pentium 4 processor as long as it's something recent (I.E. 775) and supports SSE3. My CPU has all the same CPU flags as a Core Duo processor does.

That being said, I wouldn't use any P4 that a.) Wasn't LGA775 and b.) didn't support SSE3.

Which is why Zulu.walker suggested not to use it. If you look at the picture in cappio's original post, it shows that it does not have SSE3.

IMHO buy an 775 board and SSE3 capable processor for future proof OSX86 installation, Asus P5LD2-VM is a good board w/ reasonable price and buy a cheap Celeron D (SSE/SSE2/SSE3/EM64) for starters... B)

you have reason..

which it is the price approximately of your hardware?

you have spold approximately 450€?

in particular for the card video?

the audio card is recognized like one 7.1? the microphone works?

thanks still for your attention. bye!

That should definitely be less than 450€ I would think. I just ordered some parts for my boyfriend so he could build a hackintosh. He already has a case and power supply, but for $499.97, we got a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, GeForce 7600GT, Intel C2D E6320, and 2GB of DDR2 800. There are many cheaper boards, processors and video cards that work just fine. I'd agree with Shredplayer that the Asus P5LD2-VM is a very good board for the money though. Supposedly works perfectly, including video, sound, etc. The on-board video won't be fast if you want games though.

That should definitely be less than 450€ I would think. I just ordered some parts for my boyfriend so he could build a hackintosh. He already has a case and power supply, but for $499.97, we got a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, GeForce 7600GT, Intel C2D E6320, and 2GB of DDR2 800...

hello sarahbau! I have controlled the prices of the members who you have bought but their price is the much highest one of the 450€ that you have said. Always if it speaks about euro, inasmuch as I do not know the value of $. Bringing back here the list of the members with their price. I have found these If they are changes to you you correct my errors. thanks

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 108-140€

GeForce 7600GT 112-127€

Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 - 1,86 GHz Fsb 1066 4 MB cache - Socket 775 Box 170€

2GB di DDR2 800 198-300€

total price 588-737€

cappio,

1 euro is about $1.36. I'm not sure where to get the best deals in Italy, but I just searched Google for "find best computer prices in Europe" and found a few sites. Here's what I was able to find from dabs.com (UK-based site):

Intel E6320 - £105.73 = 155.16€

Gigabyte GA 945P-DS3 - £47.58 = 69.82€

XFX GeForce 7600GT - £69.99 = 102.71€

Corsair 2x1GB DDR2-800 - £82.73 = 121.41€

Total - £306.03 = 449.09€

Those prices include VAT. I'm not sure if they ship to Italy, but it does show that you should at least be able to find something close in Europe. I think the only price you found that was off by a lot was the memory. 300 euros for 2GB of RAM must be fully buffered with ECC or something.

thanks to the aid of sarahbau and other persons (with a iron patience) I have chosen which hardware to buy for my PC-mac:

processor???: Intel Pentium D 925 3,00 Ghz 90€

Intel core 2 duo E6320 155.16€

motherboard: Asrock Conroe945G 775 (micro ATX) 80€

ram: 1 Gb DDR2 667 Kingston 50€

video: Intel GMA 950 64 mb condivisi (integrated)

XFX GeForce 7600GT 150€

Moreover I wanted to ask confirmation for the fact that this motherboard does not need patch and is compatible to 100%, and wanted to have a council on the type of processor to choose between those lists to you.

whichever council or modification of the list hardware will make appeals to me! thanks