Restoring an iMac G4

10 posts in this topic

Hey my friend bought a new C2D iMac cause he thought his G4 was broken. So I took it off his hands and am trying to get it back to a working state. I'd like to try to restore OS X but if I can't then i'm just gonna install Ubuntu :P.

Currently when it boots it just goes to a gray screen with a small folder in the middle with a blinking question mark and Mac OS 9 logo.

Next to my 20" monitor it looks like the 17" version and as far as I can remember it has a 1.25ghz CPU.

Hey my friend bought a new C2D iMac cause he thought his G4 was broken. So I took it off his hands and am trying to get it back to a working state. I'd like to try to restore OS X but if I can't then i'm just gonna install Ubuntu :).

Currently when it boots it just goes to a gray screen with a small folder in the middle with a blinking question mark and Mac OS 9 logo.

Next to my 20" monitor it looks like the 17" version and as far as I can remember it has a 1.25ghz CPU.

If you have th PPC dvd hold C while booting.

How about trying a PPC Ubuntu dvd/cd to see if it boots up.

as the computer boots up press and leave pressed the "command" + "option" + "O" + "F" keys to boot up into the firmware screen

type "reset-nvram" and press return

type "set-defaults" and press return

type "reset-all" and press return

the computer will reboot

Helpful links

Resetting the iMac (Flat Panel) Power Management Unit (PMU)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95165

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

A blinking question mark means the computer is trying to find a valid system folder. You should be able to plop in an OS X.4 install disk and have it install. If it doesn't install, restart with the disk in there and hold down the c key. If it still doesn't work, restart and hold down the option key.

And besides, Kubuntu is much better

It won't boot from the ubuntu ppc dvd. When i try to boot from it in openfirmware it says the load size is too small, and when i try holding down "C" or "option" i can hear the disc spinning, but then it just continues to boot into os x, which doesn't work.

Safe mode is a good start. Otherwise, you could easily buy OSX Tiger from Apple's site. It's still plenty cheaper than Windows.

Also, if I remember correctly, you can burn OSX onto 5 CDs. I did that with the G4 I bought from eBay last summer.