From a real Mac to OSx86

catburgers

7 posts in this topic

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, and if it has, please close this thread and point me toward the correct one.

Unlike a lot of people here who are trying to install Mac OS X for x86, I have a G4.

There used to be a good forum on http://www.concretesurf.co.nz/osx86/, but the forum has since vanished and I'm not sure where it went.

What I've done so far is:

Install Tiger to an external firewire hard drive

Created a disk image of the Tiger installation

Stuck the disk in my P4 @ 2.4ghz (northwood core), sans firewire interface of course

Installed Darwin for x86 on it.

Plugged the drive back into my G4 with the firewire interface

Restored the Tiger image back onto the firewire hard drive

Stuck the drive back in my P4 system and that's it.

Now here's my question: is it possible to apply the patches without installing linux? Is it possible to simply use Tinkertool and just copy/replace the files that are on the firewire HD?

Any help would be appreciated...

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, and if it has, please close this thread and point me toward the correct one.

Unlike a lot of people here who are trying to install Mac OS X for x86, I have a G4.

There used to be a good forum on http://www.concretesurf.co.nz/osx86/, but the forum has since vanished and I'm not sure where it went.

What I've done so far is:

Install Tiger to an external firewire hard drive

Created a disk image of the Tiger installation

Stuck the disk in my P4 @ 2.4ghz (northwood core), sans firewire interface of course

Installed Darwin for x86 on it.

Plugged the drive back into my G4 with the firewire interface

Restored the Tiger image back onto the firewire hard drive

Stuck the drive back in my P4 system and that's it.

Now here's my question:  is it possible to apply the patches without installing linux?  Is it possible to simply use Tinkertool and just copy/replace the files that are on the firewire HD?

Any help would be appreciated...

If you mean applying patches on the image or the drive with the os on it, then yes. I've done both actually. On the deadmoo tiger image i deleted the offending kexts before hand. You will probably have to repair permissions afterward, but its a good idea anyway.

If you mean applying patches on the image or the drive with the os on it, then yes. I've done both actually. On the deadmoo tiger image i deleted the offending kexts before hand. You will probably have to repair permissions afterward, but its a good idea anyway.

how do you delete files in the unix terminal shell?

Hi Folks!

As our colegue, I am also a Mac user who plans to install x86 on a new Pc hardware I bought yeasterday, same set up as the "transition kit", hope I get everything working.

Unfortunately I still have 3 days remaining to finish the download of deadmoo's image. Need to be pacient.

I am a medium level Unix user, can do simple commands like rm, mv, tail, cat etc...

I am plaining to use the simple quick way to get my x86 running, just mount deadmoo's image on my G5 and use Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the image to the brand new hard disk.

I was insecure about where I should "initialize" my brand new hard disk. (I guess that Pc folks call "intialize" "format", MacUsers use different terms)

As the link posted above, it says I should have the Hard disk inside a real Pc for formatiing, otherwise it won't boot. My concerns have been confirmed.

Questions:

1) Can I use my Mac to initialize the hard disk?

2) Should I use a live Cd from a Linux distro, follow the installation process and quit installation just after the disk has been formated (or initalized as we say)?

3) Are there any further patches I should apply to deadmoo's image, so that I have a box running x86?

Thanks for you comments....

Please forgive if I repeat myself and other posts in this forum, but I am a 42 year guy who isn't so smart...

Patches applied. I used the patches from www.xplodenet.com and it worked semi "okay" (lots of crashes), but I eventually was able to apply the other patches.

I used the Marklar-Tiger.iso file I got from bittorrent. The VMware method, despite the fact that it works, is god awful. Why oh why?

It's so much easier to use a real Mac to get things started off.

Installing Tiger was about an hour or so on the firewire drive, but after that, it's well worth it. I have the image file so when I get my new P4 670 and 915 chipset mobo this week I can just pop in a new hard drive, install darwin, and put the image on it. Easy.