USB 2.0 Not Working (but 1.1 is)

SampAcc

15 posts in this topic

If anyone can help, this would be greatly appreciated - OrByte or otherwise. I have a super-clean install running spectacularly - Athlon64 with NV FX5200 Core Graphics and Quartz Extreme, good audio, EVERYTHING works EXCEPT: USB 2.0. USB1.1 works fine. But I cannot attach my USB2.0 devices (hard drive, pendrive, iPod) directly - strangely, they will show up in SysProfiler but not Disk Util (and won't mount). Even stranger, my crappy workaround is I attach the 2.0 devices to my 1.1 HUB and THEN they mount, but move only at 1.1 speed.

What I have done/tried: I installed the official 10.4.8 Apple Dev USB fix per OrByte's PCGenUSBEHCI-2.6.1a fix, no change. Continued on and finished installing OrByte's PCGenUSBEHCI-2.6.1a (the actual kext), no change. Still no USB2.0, still getting following message:

As I look at verbose output upon bootup and such, I see the same thing: "family specific matching fails". When I search these forums with those terms and anything else like "USB 2.0 not working" I get nothing. So forgive me if this question has already been answered and I just didn't find it...

Nutshell: 10.4.8 Semthex w/JaS AMD, MSI K8TNeo2 board, VIA8297, Athlon64 2800+, DDR400(pair), and here's what SysProfiler gives about the "High Speed Controller" (USB 1.1 shows up fine, all connected devices show up properly):

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Expansion Slot

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x3104

PCI Revision ID: 0x0086

PCI Vendor ID: 0x1106

Bus Number: 0x90

JM20338 SATA, USB Combo:

Version: 1.00

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: JMicron

Product ID: 0x2338

Serial Number: BB6E82E305A7

Vendor ID: 0x152d

Here's my Terminal output:

------------------------------------

Last login: Tue Apr 10 10:27:23 on ttyp1

Welcome to Darwin!

pc-00250:~ dave$ kextstat | grep USB

27 10 0x2a284000 0x1a000 0x19000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (2.6.1) <6 5 4 3>

28 0 0x2a2db000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (2.6.0) <27 16 5 4 3>

29 0 0x2a68b000 0x12000 0x11000 com.orByte.driver.PCGenUSBEHCI (2.6.1) <27 16 5 4 3>

32 0 0x2a7f9000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (2.6.0) <27 11>

52 0 0x2b2ea000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (2.6.1) <27 11>

59 0 0x32f75000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (2.6.0) <27 11>

67 0 0x32fcb000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (2.6.0) <27 20 11>

78 1 0x44db9000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub (2.6.0) <27 11>

80 0 0x2b4a8000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass (1.4.5) <43 35 27 11>

pc-00250:~ dave$ sudo dmesg | grep USB

Password:

USBF: 49.335 Attempting to get EHCI Controller from BIOS

USBF: 49.335 USBLEGCTLSTS value e000

USBF: 49.335 Found USBLEGSUP_ID - value 0x1 - writing OSOwned

USBF: 49.335 acquireOSOwnership done - value 0x1000001

USB caused wake event (EHCI)

USB1: family specific matching fails

USB2: family specific matching fails

USB3: family specific matching fails

USB4: family specific matching fails

pc-00250:~ dave$

------------------------------

The ioreg output is awfully verbose, but if you want to look at it, download it below. I did try installing the PCGen* kext but it didn't make any difference (at least it didn't give me a kernel panic - that rocked).

What am I missing here with this "family specific matching fails" stuff?

Output from ioreg

I made a thread just for this problem:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=47107&hl=

As per my original post, I already tried that. That OrByte fix is for a different USB issue. Or at least different symptoms. OrByte's doesn't have any reference to my problem, the "USBx: family specific matching fails" message. Thanks for trying, tho.

And as far as Bibendum's comment, I'm not sure that's the case, as, also per my original post, my System Profiler sees not only a USB Hi-speed bus, but also the attached (but not mounted) USB hard drive.

There has to be a simple fix for this. So damn close...

forgot to mention, bibendum has a good point, but i did have a pci usb2.0 card in for a while, but it was buggy, especially in osx. the usb2.0 in question - the usb i have now - is onboard the msi 6702 mobo. that pci card was buggy in both my g4/500 and my amd hackintosh (would make the g4 freeze up and corrupt my ext drives). apparently not a friendly chipset. oh, and usb2.0 didn't work in the amd hackintosh with that card either. yeeeesh... thanks, you guys, for at least giving your two cents. just need more like two bits. ;-)

I also have a MSI K8TNeo2 and according to the device and pci ids, looks like identical southbridge providing USB support.

(Its not the exact same as my motherboard doesn't have Jmicron anything on it.)

All that was needed for me was the PCGenUSBEHCI-2.6.1a fix.

The "family not matching" errors you mentioned above I also still get, but USB2 works fine with all my devices.

Are you 100% you removed the AppleUSBEHCI.kext in the IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns ?

Have you updated to a 8.9.1 kernel recently?

Are you sure you got Intel IOUSBFamily.kext version 256.4.2?

I also have a MSI K8TNeo2 and according to the device and pci ids, looks like identical southbridge providing USB support.

(Its not the exact same as my motherboard doesn't have Jmicron anything on it.)

All that was needed for me was the PCGenUSBEHCI-2.6.1a fix.

The "family not matching" errors you mentioned above I also still get, but USB2 works fine with all my devices.

Are you 100% you removed the AppleUSBEHCI.kext in the IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns ?

Have you updated to a 8.9.1 kernel recently?

Are you sure you got Intel IOUSBFamily.kext version 256.4.2?

Hmmm... I tried updating (using JaS patched combo) to 10.4.9 and I got nothing but kernel panics. Wouldn't boot even in safe mode. So I'm back to a healthy 10.4.8. I downloaded the Apple Dev IOUSBFamily.kext for 10.4.8, which is 2.6.1, which corresponds to the OrByte 2.6.1a. I do not have an AppleUSBEHCI.kext in there. I have an OHCI and a UHCI, but no EHCI, other than the PCGenEHCI which comes from the OrByte installer. Very weird. Same board. Oh, and the "Jmicron" thing is my mini USB2.0 portable hard drive - I left it in there to show that the Sys Prof does see the drive, just can't mount it. The stuff above there is the actual High-Speed (2.0) bus, which it also sees, but can't do anything with. Thanks for the tips.

Can this drive be reformatted in disk utility, or is there data you can't lose?

I've had a few problem devices that a reformat helped.

Way ahead of you. ;-) Tried it. Even tried reformat and reinstalling with different BIOS settings ("Legacy Support Enabled/Disabled," etc.).

You could try mounting it manually in Terminal and see if there is any useful output messages.

Does it fail with USB sticks also?

i have not tried that - what is the command - umount [device] or something - or maybe i'm getting my bsd and linux mixed up...

i CANNOT mount anything usb 2.0 directly (plugged into port on mobo), including pendrive, ipod, ext hard drive with sata controller, or ext hard drive with ide controller.

i can SEE anything that's plugged into those ports in system profiler, but if it's one of the 2.0 devices, they'll show up in system profiler, but not mount, even through disk utility (they show up in sys prof but NOT diskutil).

i CAN mount any of those 2.0 devices if i plug them into my 1.1 hub first. i assume osx sees a 1.1 hub and says, "you're ok" and any 2.0 devices plugged into that hub are "slowed down" to a 1.1 speed which osx can then mount, albeit slow. this is the only way i can sync my ipod.

man mount in terminal for options.

Is there any output in dmesg directly after plugging in the USB2 device?

(Should at least be something if they are recognized.)

i cannot mount 2.0 devices in terminal. outputs in dmesg are meaningless (no different - don't recognize anything, despite system profiler "seeing" the 2.0 devices). i am going to rebuild the entire shabang in the next day or two, and do the 8.8.1 orByte/BugsBunny patches right away and see what happens. whew... an aside - i was able to get parallels to install on amd through a hack and that was encouraging. so i move on, blah blah blah...

the orByte thread on the USB2.0 issue is interesting - long, but it looks like i'm not alone. originally i thought my issue was different from the orByte/BugsBunny thing - i think now that they're all related. if i can't get USB2.0 on my board for now, so be it. somebody will eventually figure it out. and despite the efforts, GREAT efforts, of orByte, my board still won't hunt. so it's workarounds for now until somebody gets sick of it enough to truly fix it for real, and for good.

thank you to all who have responded with at least some consideration. we move on.

I rode that thread quite fast but I thinck you have the same problem I do. I've made a trhead also about that if you want to have a look :

HERE

By the way I didn't find any solution for that specific problem. USB2.0 hardware (ipod, hard drive...) can't mount but the hardware's batteries are charging (does that make sense?). In other word, regarding to my iPod, my computer is only a simple AC plug...

But USB 1 hardware (USB key) is fully working (at least).

Wired I still have this problem with USB2 hardware when I disable USB2 in BIOS options.

Well I'm also still looking for solution.

• 4 weeks later...