petition for apple to release unrestricted operating system

55 posts in this topic

I up wiht EFI and ever other mac or linux or windows user out there....^^^ this guy has no idea what he jsut said dose he?

I alwazs used ether dos 5.0 to windows vista.... xp and 98 for the logest time...... I hate linux its sucks and OSX is tight....

first off ever one cares about there os...... msot people that go into a store will care less aobut the hardware the then there os..many of times you can get a way with selling {censored} as long as you add ..Yes it can run this this and this... and the costermer wil lbe liek grate I buy one....

first of I not happy about XP. Format ever 6 monthes or so... some tiem 7 tiems a week...... vista better... 2000 didn;t run {censored} less so then vista... 98 didn;t understand how to use ram and the taskmgr sucked.... .Dos rulled... yep never had a issuse with dos ever.........

first of people don;t switch os becuz of "A" linux as a hole suchs ass and cna;t run {censored} on it "b" pc are cheap these days u can pic k them up at 499$ with preinstalled windows <forcued to us> or c) MacHardware way to exspince for the hardware under the plastic cover.... for me if I had the money I buy a PowerBook and boot camp it.....

but since i don;t have the money I settle for the NExt best thing and thats vista complaired to xp.......

I perosnly tired of formating losing ever thing and starting over atlest 43 times a year

and to all you mac fanboys there nothing diffrenct between mac hardware and pc hardware.... a stick of ram is a stick of ram. uselly made by the same complines with the same hardware specs .... Intil duo is intel duo.. no mater what pc or mac its installed in. and the lcd screen is a lcd screen that nice 8800 gtx card the same 8800 gtx card for pc....... I could never understand the price gouging from apple in over hardware for pc hardware...

Argh, I can barely even read that. And what that person said makes perfect - most computer users are not advanced enough to care what operating system they have, they just use it for internet, mail, word processing, etc.

RANT :)

At the risk of continuing this debacle, I have take issue with "Dos rulled... yep never had a issuse with dos ever........."

I used Dos, lots. I made batch files with errorlevel stuff and made my own menuing system that when you chose to run a certain game would make the required edits to config.sys and autoexec.bat to disable stuff that wasn't needed in order to free up more conventional memory, then run a .COM file made with debug that would reboot the computer, autoexec would launch the game, then when the game quits the autoexec would recall a batch file to return the config.sys and autoexec.bat to standard config and the autostart the menu on the next reboot, which it would then perform. I used lots of funky ANSI border graphics for my menu, and was very pleased with myself till the Junkie Virus killed my data. I was in high school at the time.

Dos had lots of faults! It's gone, I hate it, go away!!! Having learnt rudimentary Terminal OSX stuff ie normal linux shell things, I know only enough to know how little I really know but I can see how much more powerful/flexible/stable it is. Dos was a hack.

Dos probably never caused issue for you because you ran programs that didn't require unreasonable amounts of resources and importantly, Dos can only run one program at a time, so what can possibly go wrong? (i'm ignoring Quarterdeck things and doshell and other supposed dos multitasking things because they didn't work with any decent apps.)

Ok... Sorry to everyone who didn't want to read that, I love my mac and I aint going back. :)

/RANT

apple would never release os x for custom pc's, because they tried that in the past (the clones) and suddenly their hardware sales dropped. What do you think an avarage person would buy? a very cheap but ugly dell or a relatively expensive, but nice looking mac? They all will buy the dell

And who said that os x is expensive? Vista will cost you a fortune for that crapy and buggy piece of software and mac os x costs only 129 €. If apple releases os x for normal pc's they have to raise the price of os x in order to compensate the loss of hardware sells and that aint cool

apple would never release os x for custom pc's, because they tried that in the past (the clones) and suddenly their hardware sales dropped. What do you think an avarage person would buy? a very cheap but ugly dell or a relatively expensive, but nice looking mac? They all will buy the dell

And who said that os x is expensive? Vista will cost you a fortune for that crapy and buggy piece of software and mac os x costs only 129 €. If apple releases os x for normal pc's they have to raise the price of os x in order to compensate the loss of hardware sells and that aint cool

OS X is technically an "upgrade," so the price reflects it. While of course each DVD includes a full install of OS X, they don't price it at $200-300 because everyone who has a Mac has already paid for an OS. It's not so with Windows, since people can buy components without getting a Windows license.

OS X is technically an "upgrade," so the price reflects it. While of course each DVD includes a full install of OS X, they don't price it at $200-300 because everyone who has a Mac has already paid for an OS. It's not so with Windows, since people can buy components without getting a Windows license.

Very true! I think this is dumb on Microsofts part though. It would be much easier to sell XP at my work if people could buy it for $200 outright rather than way more than that because they were stupid enough not to get it when they bought the PC.