Sound problem

39 posts in this topic

THANKYOU.  I was tearing my hair out before.  This worked perfectly. THANKYOU.

My only tip to someone else would be to try renaming "Audio MIDI Setup" to "AudioMIDISetup" to get rid of the spaces just incase you get the Error about the location not existing.  (you can change it back when you get your sound working)

After that just change the second command to cd /Applications/Utilites/AudioMIDISetup.app/Contents/MacOS

I too have the DEV-VEN 24D58086. I have tried your fix above, but I can't seem to get around the Error about the location not existing. I did try the renaming as you instructed above, but I would still the "location not existing" error. What else could I be doing wrong? Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing, which jack did you use once you did the AudioMIDISetup.app fix?

Thanks

I just noticed something guys, tell me if its the same for you. My sound is working onboard Soundmax 8086 24d5 and all that rot by switching to channels 3 and 4, but my volume bar isnt doing {censored}. I've got my output going to my reciever so i didnt really notice it until now, but no matter whether i move the audio bar up or down in osx, the sound stays the same. the only difference i can detect is when i move it all the way down (and it mutes).

Wierd as hell. Any ideas?

Hey*

Have you tried to set the volume doing the same root-thingy? and adjusting the DB level or whatever they call it.. those bars on the right.. :lol:

being root, so that the changes can be correctly saved..

greetings,

inv

Hey*

Have you tried to set the volume doing the same root-thingy? and adjusting the DB level or whatever they call it.. those bars on the right.. :P

being root, so that the changes can be correctly saved..

greetings,

inv

hmm, no I havent. I'm not sure I completely understand your suggestion, elaborate?

hmm, no I havent. I'm not sure I completely understand your suggestion, elaborate?

On my sound output tab, it lists the "line out" ac97 Audio (PCM), but thats it.

according the help file associated

Changing your computer's sound output device

You can choose to hear sound played through your computer's built-in speakers, or through external speakers, headphones, or stereo equipment that you connect to your computer.

To hear sounds from your computer played through an external device:

Make sure the device is properly connected to your computer.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Sound.

Click Output, and then select the device you want to hear sound through.

To listen through your computer's built-in speakers, select "Internal speakers." To listen to external speakers or headphones that are connected to the headphone jack, select Headphones. To listen through external USB speakers, select your speakers in the list.

I noticed, the sound is routing to my "internal speakers". If i unplug the jack, i can still hear sound coming from the comp. The jack must be for the interal speaker out or something then.

Hmmm, I wonder if there is a way in the plist I can tell it to not do the internal speakers, but use the damn jacks.

Anyone else hitting a similar block?

::UPDATE::

I managed to increase the sound level through AudioMIDI in utilities, but its still flowing from the internal speakers.

Some other things I noticed: Line out is the only output option available to me. Master Volume, and Channel 3 are grayed out and "off" from what I can tell, yet I have my speakers configured for Channel 3 and 4 and both channels are producing sound.

Channels 1 and 2 do not work at all. Moving from a 4 Channel to a 2 Channel setup produces no sound.

So, I'm in a better boat with louder sound, I just wish I could get it to work away from the Internal speakers so the volume bar would work.

I'll update if I figure anything else out.

::UPDATE 2::

Replacing the native Audio kext files with those from Darwin 8.01 iso did nothing.

Same problem happens on my laptop. But finally I found it's not "no sound", but "very very low sound". If you plug a speaker and turn the speaker volume to max, you will hear sound.

I think that's because the output is : Line Out, not Earphone. So, if anyone modify the output to Earphone, the sound would be normal.

I've got a slightly odd sound issue--the kernel extension shows up as loaded fine:

50    2 0xd70a4000 0x16000    0x15000    com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily (1.5.5b2) <31 11>
  51    1 0xd6ffa000 0xd000     0xc000     com.apple.driver.AppleAC97Audio (1.0.0) <50 11>
  52    0 0xd7007000 0x4000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH (1.0.0) <51 16 11>

And, indeed, if I look at /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext/Contents/Info.plist, I find that my vendor/product ID are already in there under the ICH5 AC97 Audio section, so no modification should be required.

Furthermore, I can see and set the volume on both the menubar and in the System Preferences. In the Sound panel's Output tab, it lists Line Out and SPDIF Out with the ports "AC97 Audio (PCM)" and "AC97 Audio (SPDIF)" respectively.

And yet, despite all these encouraging signs, there's no sound from anything. iTunes (yay SSE2 kernel patch) will appear to play, and the visualizations even work, but no sound is produced from anything, nor do I hear any confirmation beeps when I change the sound volume.

To deal with the obvious: yes, I checked all cabling, and tried different ports on the sound card, and adjusted the system and speaker volume. The speakers work with another system.

The Vendor/Product IDs are 8086 and 24d5 (identified by Linux as "82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller").

Anyone have any ideas? A secret volume control in OSX that I haven't found? Anything?

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!! you cant boot up in safe mode! when i boot up in safe mode -x to bypass the ati driver conflict, my sound driver doesnt appear at all. i finally deleted all my ati.kext in the extensions folder with MACDRIVE via windows. i tried deleting them in osx but it still wouldnt let me boot up without safe mode. MAC DRIVE has a full functional 6 day trial. go to my computer in windows after installing macdrive. open your mac drive with osx install on it. browse to "/System/Library" then right click on the Library folder and click search. type "ati" in search field. delete everything that comes up.if you have nvidia card do the same but delete all nvidia files. now you wont have to boot with the -x flag and your sound card will be available in system prefs now. just to prove safe mode was the problem. if i -x at the startup and log in safe mode my sound card disappears again.

Installed mac os 10 tiger on my intel machine, install fines, everything works apart from sound which is Ac97 sound max integrated.

its a dell dimension 5000...i am v.new to all of these commands, any help ?

thanks and regards to all

Mutahir

any help on the above post ?

I was checking the appleac97audio.kext in the system/llibrary/extensions but i can't see any..

Also, How will i login as a root user in the gui interface or on the terminal prompt?

Thanks

Mutahir