enlarging hfs+ partition

aaket504

87 posts in this topic

Thanks for the prompt reply. Anyway, I tried the CCC method and cloned with no errors but after attempting to set the new partition as the active one, OSX refuses to boot, showing only a flashing cursor at the top left corner. Any ideas?

edit: I followed wanzw's method to erase the new partition. Shouldn't that mean that it's already marked as AF, or rather HFS+, since I've erased the disk using OSX's disk utility?

Thanks for the prompt reply. Anyway, I tried the CCC method and cloned with no errors but after attempting to set the new partition as the active one, OSX refuses to boot, showing only a flashing cursor at the top left corner. Any ideas?

edit: I followed wanzw's method to erase the new partition. Shouldn't that mean that it's already marked as AF, or rather HFS+, since I've erased the disk using OSX's disk utility?

I had the same error all the time before i used cfdisk. Another reason for previous errors was that the partition i initially used was not a primary partition. The method i used to get things working:

1)partition drive using cfdisk, make sure you make all partitions primary partitions and make the first partition(where you install XP) bootable

2)install xp on first partition(actually restored a ghost image for quick install)

3)start VMware with virtual drive and physical partition connected

4)use CCC to clone the drive

5) setup multiboot system by adding chain0 file to my windows partition and editing boot.ini like this:

c:\chain0="Mac OS X Tiger"

My approach is slightly different, since i only have osx installed natively in my system. but i wish to transfer it to a larger partition and then reinstall windows in that 6gb.

elvis56, did you use disk utility in osx to erase the disk after carrying out cfdisk?

also, i noticed that when i looked at the partitions in qtparted (knoppix), the original 6gb would be recognised as hfs+ but the new partition (even after erasing with disk utility) is still indicated as Unknown. Could this be the reason why it refuses to boot after cloning?

This is weird. I tried to resize the existing partition containing OSX by using the -s mode (switching with the Darwin Boot prompt). I ran fdisk -a hfs /dev/rdisk0 (or something similar) which caused the HFS partition to be enlarged to the entire disk. I rebooted into OSX and checked in disk utility. Sure enough it showed the tiger-x86 partition as filling all 80 gbs on the disk. I rejoiced. However, when I opened Finder, it still said "1.9 gb left". I went back to Disk Utility and saw that, when veiwing the partition info, it says "Total Size: 74.9 GB, Space Remaining 1.9 GB, Space Used 4 GB".

Is there a config file to change easily? Is there a command I can run? Or do I have to follow the whole Darwin instructions, since I suspect I'd have to wipe my drive again to do that (something I have done far too much recently).

ok. after meeting with failure going with the CCC method, i followed BurnettX360's instructions (see above) and managed to get OSX on my second partition with 28gb... :P although the darwin installation was painful and dreary, i gues the results was worthwhile..

This is weird. I tried to resize the existing partition containing OSX by using the -s mode (switching with the Darwin Boot prompt). I ran fdisk -a hfs /dev/rdisk0 (or something similar) which caused the HFS partition to be enlarged to the entire disk. I rebooted into OSX and checked in disk utility. Sure enough it showed the tiger-x86 partition as filling all 80 gbs on the disk. I rejoiced. However, when I opened Finder, it still said "1.9 gb left". I went back to Disk Utility and saw that, when veiwing the partition info, it says "Total Size: 74.9 GB, Space Remaining 1.9 GB, Space Used 4 GB".

Is there a config file to change easily? Is there a command I can run? Or do I have to follow the whole Darwin instructions, since I suspect I'd have to wipe my drive again to do that (something I have done far too much recently).

I ran into the exact same problem. Haven't been able to fix it yet but i feel it should not be that hard to fix.

What I did worked as well perfectly:

1. Install Darwin 8.0.1 on a new partition with the size you want.

2. Update Darwin 8.0.1 to Darwin 8.1 (perhaps not necessary since you are copying over the Tiger image later)

after install under /Volumes your Tiger-x86 drive is also present.

3. use ditto to copy your Tiger-x86 to your newly created installation.

type cp -RLv /volumes/tiger-osx86/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Bom.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

type /volumes/tiger-osx86/usr/bin/ditto -rsrc/Volumes/tiger-osx86 /

4. repair permissions

type: diskutil repairpermissions /

(5) optional - Want to reset your installation defaults? do this: (Actually your userdirs are not deleted so if you want them created again make sure you delete the users folder

type: mv /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb.bad

type: mv /var/db/.AppleSetupDone /var/db/.AppleSetupDone.bad

6. delete the old partition

7. set the new partition active

8. reboot and enjoy your new partition size!

- I Used the method described for creating a clean install on http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/RealNative. But then to use my real harddisk partition instead of a VMWare image.

OK BurnettX360,

I'm upto #6.

how do I delete the old partition and set the new active?

thanx

do you know that the command would be in darwin?

Actually, it's possible to set the active disk inside tiger, under System Preference > Startup Disks. Assuming you can then boot into the newly installed tiger, it should be possible to erase the original partition using Disk Utility. Just an idea, so no guarantee it'll work.

Actually, it's possible to set the active disk inside tiger, under System Preference > Startup Disks. Assuming you can then boot into the newly installed tiger, it should be possible to erase the original partition using Disk Utility. Just an idea, so no guarantee it'll work.

no luck there..... It istill uses files from the primary when booting.

I think I might have to start over and pick up on #6.....

Thanks anyway.....

no luck there..... It istill uses files from the primary when booting.

I think I might have to start over and pick up on #6.....

Thanks anyway.....

If the installs are both on a single disk, Darwin (when it says press a key for boot options) should let you choose which one you want to boot from.

That might not help though, far as I can tell OSX won't touch ANY partition on a disk it's booted from. WinXP's disk manager can do it though, especially if you have MacDrive installed.

I have somewhat stumbled upon a solution using all kinds of tools but essentially here is my situation. I have an 80GB SATA that I have it installed on of course I want to use all 80GB JUST for OSX, but don't want to deal with vmware and all that other good stuff. Well I went to testing. I have a spare IDE 40GB. I formatted the 40GB on my mac as HFS+ Journaled. Then plugged into my pc and used winhex. In winhex if you open a disk there is something that says access. I pulled that down and it said HFS+ 6.0GB went to that menu then said clone partition source. Then opened my 40GB disk. Went to access it said hfs+ 41GB then picked clone partition destination. Then I told the clone to happen. Once I did that all the files were there but not the boot partition. So I thought I screwed up. Here is what happens though if I use my 80GB as the boot volume darwin comes up says to boot says it is booting from the 80gb but when osx actually boots it boots from the 40GB don't ask me why or how but it does. I didn't think it was at first because they were named the same then I renamed the bottom, which I though was my 40GB and opened disk utilty. DU showed that the one I just renamed was my 80GB. Anyway long story short I found a cool program call VolumeWorks that resizes HFS+ volumes but will do it w/o booting from a cd. Used that tool and now I have 40GB partition as my boot. Using 6GB of the 80GB as my darwin, and am looking into expanding the rest as more free space. Also volumeworks doesn't like the 80GB the partition map never shows so I couldn't resize that one. OK enough rambling that is my little setup not ideal but it worked.

2. Update Darwin 8.0.1 to Darwin 8.1 (perhaps not necessary since you are copying over the Tiger image later)

Is there any other way to merge two partitions or anything to extend the currently disk space? This one might work but still a bit complicated and have to install Darwin again. Also i don't know how to set the new partition active in command mode.

The exact same thing happened to me! Does anyone have a fix for this? Or do I have to start again?

I don't know if this will really help much, but if you create a second HFS+ partition you can move the swapfile to it. OS X on my PC regularly uses 1gig of swap space, and that is a very large amount considering the small size of the 6gb partition. Look for a piece of software called "Xupport". It is commercial, but you can move the swapfile without registering :(. It leaves me with about 1gig of free space on my primary OS X partition, which allows me a good deal of breathing room.

I found a way that works.... it's from the guy that made CCC

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=753

You need two hard drives (a small one to put the image on, and then a larger one to clone it too)

The last bit of code in the guide may not work.... just read the thread, I posted what I did. Right now OSX is running nicely on my 120 GB samsung.

This is probably a stupid question, but where do i get darwin? Where do I install it from (macosx?)

Right now i am running oSX natively but only seeing the 6gb. When you say new partition do you mean on a new HD? So I plug in a second HD? Will MACOSX recognize it so i can install darwin on it? I am sorry that i can't read between the lines. Can I get some specific help?