enlarging hfs+ partition

aaket504

87 posts in this topic

hi all

i used the dd method, the deadmoo image, and i unpatched coregraphics because my cpu supports sse3.

i have a 14.9 GB partition which i dd'ed the tiger-x86-flat image to, and everything works great except that the disk utility says capatcity 14.9 GB used 3.2 GB and availible 2.9 GB.

Does anyone know how to extend the partition?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Same problem!

If you can find a fully-working copy of DRIVE GENIUS probably we can solve this problem...is the only app that can resize an HFS+ partition...

I created a partition in Windows using the FAT32 FS...i can read and write but i can't install the apps...i have only 200megs in my osx primary partition... :)B)

OK so this is my update:

What i have done is loaded up linux and i used cfdisk to create a partition. ive been looking for a way to format or make the partition HFS+ or even HFS, i beleive mac will format it to HFS+ if i make it HFS. its not to hard to do this. just load up a linux live CD and run "cfdisk /dev/hda" or whatever your drive may be. now i was messing around with "parted" last night in linux, if anyone knows how to use this create a HFS partition

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html

so if you know any way to create the partition in linux then itll work, for now, i got a big fat32 file(geyyy)

btw, anyone got a link to the new kernel?

Same problem!

If you can find a fully-working copy of DRIVE GENIUS probably we can solve this problem...is the only app that can resize an HFS+ partition...

But drive genius can only resize a partition with using it's own startup cd. (Can't resize a partition once it's mounted) And that cd only works at the real ppc macs. Taking the harddisk out, place in a real mac, resize it and place it back. That might be a solution.

But drive genius can only resize a partition with using it's own startup cd. (Can't resize a partition once it's mounted) And that cd only works at the real ppc macs. Taking the harddisk out, place in a real mac, resize it and place it back. That might be a solution.

Yes it is... but what about us, who don't have a ppc :lol:...

I will look into it... Just downloading debian's latest live cd... I will try myself and see how it goes... :)

OK so this is my update:

What i have done is loaded up linux and i used cfdisk to create a partition. ive been looking for a way to format or make the partition HFS+ or even HFS, i beleive mac will format it to HFS+ if i make it HFS. its not to hard to do this. just load up a linux live CD and run "cfdisk /dev/hda" or whatever your drive may be. now i was messing around with "parted" last night in linux, if anyone knows how to use this create a HFS partition

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html

so if you know any way to create the partition in linux then itll work, for now, i got a big fat32 file(geyyy)

btw, anyone got a link to the new kernel?

That's exactly what I did 10 mins ago. I downloaded Knoppix and install readline,e2fsgroup in /ramdisk before installed the newest parted. It gave me a system fault with a core dump.

It doesn't seem possible to resize on a PC - it's not the size of the partition (as Mac OSX x86 can see the partition size) it's the size of the disk defined in the hfs volume info.

In the end I just started over from the PearPC>Darwin>VMWare>dd method and configure a much large virtual drive in VMware and then dd that. Works fine - 56.46GB available.

Just wondering out loud...Has anyone tried something similar to this:

Procedure:

Get into linux.

Mount a hard drive (or partition) with more than the amount of space the os x partition currently uses. We will call this hdb1.

Let's say we mounted it to /mnt/temp/

$ dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/mnt/temp/osx.img bs=512

Wait...

fdisk hda, and delete the os x partition.

create a new one the desired size, set it bootable, and to type AF (possibly AB, some confusion exists here...) Write, quite, and reboot if needed. We'll call the new, large partition hda1 again.

$ dd if=/mnt/temp/osx.img of=/dev/hda1 bs=512

Wait...

Reboot to the new larger partition...

I have not tried this. There is a possibility it will eat your installation, but good luck.

I don't know if it will be helpful, but I saved this tread form the now gone www.concretesurf.co.nz forum:

posted by the_joker:

"This is my first post here so bear with me.

For those of you who want to know how I got OSX to install on a 120GB drive and use the whole thing here goes.....

Things Needed-

1) VMWare image. (tiger-x86-flat.img)

2) OSx86 Dev Kit DVD if you want SSE3 features enabled.

3) 2 HDs of your choosing of sizes.

4) Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html)

5) Patience

Steps-

1) Use this method to install the VMWare image on one of the HDs. (http://www.uneasysilence.com/os-x-proven-hacked-and-running-on-an-ordinary-pc/)

2) Copy the CoreGraphics file over from the DEV DVD to the Installed OSX. If you dont have SSE3 do not do this part.

3) After all is good then format the 2nd HD and install CCC and clone the working OSX to the Empty HD. (NOTE: If you dont have SSE3 then you cant use CCC you must do it manually with "ditto" (http://www.concretesurf.co.nz/osx86/viewtopic.php?t=274&lighter=clone)

4) Enjoy

NOTE: After I did it the new drive did not boot right up until I rebooted up the original install and used Apples DiskUtil to repair permissions.

Hope this helps."

reply by DS:

"I actually followed basically the same steps without even seeing this.

And yes, it did work.

I had to do a "sudo open" on Carbon Copy cloner though to get it to work right, otherwise it would crash at auth.

I repaired permissions casue there is a broken symlink after for mach_kernel -> mach or something, and set the freshly copied drive as the boot drive in startup, then i was able to boot nicely off of the new drive."

I tried this with carbon copy cloner today, no luck. It gave me "Unable to allocate vm error" which I ignored, but the disk wouldn't even get to the darwin boot prompt. (I did run repair permissions)

I left CCC running last night and this morning i found out i got the same error. Which is strange as i've used CCC before and didn't get the error. I guess it has got something to do with open files. I rebooted the VMware machine , logged out as regular user, logged in as root and now CCC seems to be running fine again.

UPDATE

CCC finished copying and i now have a working 15 GB OSx partition. Previous attempts using CCC failed. I think this time it worked because i first marked the partition as described in this guide

hello all. managed to find the way to go across this.

got a 120gb hdd and only 6gb used. found a way out! finally!

when at the darwin boot screen, type -s

and then type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

then type print

you will see 1st partition 6 gb the one use

then type edit 2 (you can edit the partition now)

then type AF (HFS+ file format, use help option to check it out)

then when asked to edit in CHS mode, hit "y"!

then they will ask you the heads, sectors and cylinders. make sure all those follow the first one except those with bigger numbers, those with bigger numbers end it at the biggest number you can go.

then settle already, type write and then hit "y".

then quit, not exit. use "help" to make sure which to use

reboot.

now when you enter OS X, go to disk uility, you can see another disk in HFS format now. erase the disk and then can use already.

hope it helps.

What I did worked as well perfectly:

1. Install Darwin 8.0.1 on a new partition with the size you want.

2. Update Darwin 8.0.1 to Darwin 8.1 (perhaps not necessary since you are copying over the Tiger image later)

after install under /Volumes your Tiger-x86 drive is also present.

3. use ditto to copy your Tiger-x86 to your newly created installation.

type cp -RLv /volumes/tiger-osx86/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Bom.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks

type /volumes/tiger-osx86/usr/bin/ditto -rsrc/Volumes/tiger-osx86 /

4. repair permissions

type: diskutil repairpermissions /

(5) optional - Want to reset your installation defaults? do this: (Actually your userdirs are not deleted so if you want them created again make sure you delete the users folder

type: mv /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb.bad

type: mv /var/db/.AppleSetupDone /var/db/.AppleSetupDone.bad

6. delete the old partition

7. set the new partition active

8. reboot and enjoy your new partition size!

- I Used the method described for creating a clean install on http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/RealNative. But then to use my real harddisk partition instead of a VMWare image.

I got to step 3:

3. use ditto to copy your Tiger-x86 to your newly created installation.

but got a error when doing;

it said "ditto: invalid option -- r"

What i am trying to do is to copy OSX from the small 6GB partiton to a secondary HD with 40 GB of space. Any help welcomed.

hmm not sure, but in your line you say:

you must omit the word 'type'. and is your ditto on the location /Volumes/tiger-osx86/usr/bin/ ?

Are you sure you do not have a space in between -r and src ? -rsrc is one command line option.

BurnettX360

I left CCC running last night and this morning i found out i got the same error. Which is strange as i've used CCC before and didn't get the error. I guess it has got something to do with open files. I rebooted the VMware machine , logged out as regular user, logged in as root and now CCC seems to be running fine again.

UPDATE

CCC finished copying and i now have a working 15 GB OSx partition. Previous attempts using CCC failed. I think this time it worked because i first marked the partition as described in this guide

Hi. Would you care to explain what you meant exactly by "marking" the partition? I've browsed through that link quickly but couldn't really grasp what it meant.

Hi. Would you care to explain what you meant exactly by "marking" the partition? I've browsed through that link quickly but couldn't really grasp what it meant.

In the first part of that guide you boot using a linux live cd and use this command:

cfdisk /dev/hda

To mark a partition as AF(macintosh) type. That seemed to do the trick.