945G working but sluggish with two cores enabled

stu1

11 posts in this topic

Got a Gigabyte GA-8I945G Pro yesterday, along with a Pentium D-830. Install all went fine, added 0x2772 to the 915 kexts etc.

Anyway, with a default boot both cores are recognised but the machine is really sluggish. XBench reports a score of about 30 ish.

If I boot with platform=x86pc, one core gets switched off and the machine really flies. XBench score of about 77.9 at 3.5GHz.

I guess with both cores enabled there is some interaction somewhere; most of the CPU hit with both cores is in the WindowServer - just moving the mouse can cause WindowServer to consume 30% of the cycles (out of one core). Interestingly if I compile something it's really quick(!), but the machine feels generally sluggish.

Wondering whether it was something to do with the processor (unlikely) I changed it for a 630 (has hyperthreading) - same results; with HT enabled slow machine; with is disabled fast machine.

Still trying to figure it out, I put the 630 in an ASRock 775 Dual-915G. Slightly slower with HT disabled; very fast with it enabled (!) (XBench score of 62)

Anybody any ideas as to why the 945 board is sluggish with 2 cores (or HT) enabled?

Mine initially crashed with x86pc; it was the chud extensions. Removed them and it boots fine. After they were removed, platform=ACPI is two cores, platform=x86pc is one core.

So now my normal boot args are:

-f platform=x86pc

If you dont have the chud kexts installed, paste up what you're getting in the log when it fails to boot; maybe we can spot something.

Mine initially crashed with x86pc; it was the chud extensions. Removed them and it boots fine. After they were removed, platform=ACPI is two cores, platform=x86pc is one core.

So now my normal boot args are:

-f platform=x86pc

If you dont have the chud kexts installed, paste up what you're getting in the log when it fails to boot; maybe we can spot something.

hmm ok thanks well...i looked through system.log and console.log and nothing.....maybe it happens to early so doesnt get logged.

i use -f always, but when i tack in a platform=X86PC, i got a kernel panic and a message about an extension missing....

someone said something about maybe needing an AppleInteli386GenericPlatform.kext form the darwin disc...or something like that... last time i tried that it didnt work either but i'll try again...

how do i know if i have the chud kexts? this is a dvd release1 install

how do i know if i have the chud kexts? this is a dvd release1 install

They'll be in /System/Library/Extensions if present. If so your best bet is to use the chud installer to uninstall them.

I also did a quick experiment, and indeed you can't boot platform=x86pc if AppleI386GenericPlatform.kext is missing - maybe this is your problem after all.

Stu.

They'll be in /System/Library/Extensions if present. If so your best bet is to use the chud installer to uninstall them.

I also did a quick experiment, and indeed you can't boot platform=x86pc if AppleI386GenericPlatform.kext is missing - maybe this is your problem after all.

Stu.

thanks...im looking for the chud files now but dont see them unless they arent obviously named...

i'm gonna search for that generic file on the darwin cd now and see what happens... i also have a thought about disabling ACPI on the mobo, that would seem to coincide with the X86PC method...

CHUD (CHUD.pkg) - The Computer Hardware Understanding Developer Tools

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Xcode installer already on hard disk

08/28/05 02:16 AM

Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply

In the September 2005 Geek Factor, Robert Ellis wrote: All you need are four snapshots and the Mac OS X installation DVD. On the DVD, open the Xcode Tools folder and double-click on XcodeTools.mpkg to install the tools.

I don't think an installation DVD is required to install Xcode tools -- at least not on recently purchased Macs that came with a large hard disk and Tiger already installed. I suggest to anyone with such a Mac, who whants to install the developer tools, that they should first look in /Applications/Installers/Xcode Tools before they get out their installation DVDs. They should find XcodeTools.mkpkg in this folder.

Morton

Post Extras: Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator

nnager

Enthusiast

Reged: 02/15/02

Re: Xcode installer already on hard disk new [re: M._Goldberg]

08/28/05 01:05 PM

Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply

Thanks for the tip on XCode. I found it on my OS 10.4.0 installer DVD.

For limited purposes such as checking what's in a plist and for intro-level Automator uses, which of the following would one install, please?

In reply to:

From Apple's "About XCode . . . Tools Installation"--The XcodeTools.mpkg package contains several separate sub-packages in the Packages folder that allow flexibility in installation and updating:

• Developer Tools (DeveloperTools.pkg) - This package contains Xcode, gdb, and the other tools necessary for Macintosh development. . . .

• GCC 3.3 (gcc3.3.pkg) - This package contains the gcc 3.3 compiler.

• Software Development Kits - These packages provide the header files and link libraries necessary for Macintosh development. All Macintosh development require the Mac OS X SDK, which provides the API for basic Macintosh technology such as Carbon, Cocoa, and command-line tools. The other SDK packages provide API for extended Macintosh technologies, such as QuickTime or OpenGL, etc.

• Java 1.4 Developer Tools - These packages are used when developing Java 1.4 applications for Macintosh.

• Developer Documentation (DevDocumentation.pkg) - This package contains the core Macintosh developer documentation for technologies such as Carbon, Cocoa, QuickTime, WebKit, etc.

• Developer Examples (DevExamples.pkg) - The package contains example code for a wide variety of Macintosh technologies. Note that these examples may require any of the above Software Development Kits to be installed before they will compile. . . .

• CHUD (CHUD.pkg) - The Computer Hardware Understanding Developer Tools.

OK, just to close this one off.

Found the problem; removed AppleFPMemDrv.kext and now it runs fine with dual cores; no more platform=x86pc needed (both 10.4.1 and 10.4.3).

In Xcode, building, it's about 40% faster than a 630 at the same clock speed. Just for comparison, on the current project my 1GHz PowerBook G4 takes 87 seconds to rebuild. This box with a 630 takes about 20 seconds (the 915 with the 630 takes about 25 seconds), and this box with the 830 takes 13 seconds (which is nice :blink:)

Stu.

Was it slow for you on 10.4.1, too? Since on my 945G system with a Pentiunm-D 830 it definitely is -not- slow on 10.4.1 anyway on default bootup.

Yes it was; same problem, AppleFPMemDrv. Removed that and now runs normally.

Actually still running on 10.4.1 due to lack of Airport driver at the moment.

Stu.