What plain Unix distros are there?

Guest Ramm

35 posts in this topic

I still have my SGI with IRIX on it. Very stable UNIX based OS. Most of the UNIX like OSes are based on UNIX. You cant find the UNIX OS as a distro (which is what your looking for). Use OS X, my favorite UNIX based disto!!

Linux is *ALMOST* the same thing like unix. I think linux was unix ported to the x86 architecture by Linus.

:( no, linux was written from scratch by linus as a unixY os that immitates unix to some extent, bsd used to be patches then they rewrote the commercial parts because they had so much of the os built there was no sense keeping the commercial stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
Linux is *ALMOST* the same thing like unix. I think linux was unix ported to the x86 architecture by Linus.

A very good stable LINUX distro is Slackware Linux. Thats as close as you'll get

Linux kernel isn't based on original UNIX kernel source code.........

Also, to the original poster:

Apple's OS X is not truly based on UNIX. It is actually based on FreeBSD.

UNIX is proprietary, BSD is the open source of UNIX. FreeBSD is the most popular, OpenBSD is the most secure. PC-BSD is FreeBSD with a desktop environment laid on it for you, so you can use FreeBSD as a desktop computer. I have PC-BSD installed on one of my desktops.

That's interesting that Leopard wants straight-up UNIX status, though.

3nigma

• 3 weeks later...

There is a difference between a Unix Variant, and a Unix Like OS.

Linux is "Unix Like" it is not based on any part of the old Unix systems.

HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, OSX/Darwin, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, IRIX, etc are "Unix Variants".

Opendarwin (now out of development) is what you might describe of as "plain". And NetBSD is compatible with just about ANY hardware configuration (Hence the motto "Of course it runs NetBSD").

Linux wise, a debian netinst will pretty much let you get on with it on, after a tiny install, and with a huge apt-get repository at your fingertips.

TBH OSX has a lovely unix terminal sitting in there, and it's worth learning it as it is so accessible. However most public documentation covers linux aspects nowadays.

Vendor wise:

Unix:

-HP

-IBM

-Solaris

-Apple

Linux:

-Dell

-HP

-IBM

(I am sure there are more)

NOTE: OSX/DARWIN/NEXTSTEP, ARE NOT I REPEAT NOOOOT FREEBSD!!! They are built on BSD4.3 and a mach3 microkernel.