shuttle xpc SB86i barebone,

chipset: intel 915G + ICH6-R chipset

video: intel GMA 900

disk: maxtor SATA 160 gb

cpu: celeron D 326

mem: 512x2 1gb samsung

lan: onboard marvell yukon gigabit, + pci Planex GN-1200TW

except onloard lan everything is working perfectly,

(i dont know about on board lan because im not using it at all)

installation finished without any problems, in about 45 mins from dvd

after i restart the system everything was just perfect no problems!

performance is also great.. ! from graphics to audio everything is working like native mac.

• 4 months later...

Cool! After a hellish day trying to get the mobo to recognize my Seagate SATA drive (hint: update the bios) I'm working on the install now.

My plan is to go for the the tiger-x86 image and use the dd method. Ultimately I'd like to have a triple boot XP/OSX/FC5 setup.

My configuration:

Shuttle SB86i

Intel Pentium 630

Samsung 512MBx2

Seagate 200GB SATA

I'll report back with my findings. Wish me luck!

-Aaron

hi,

i finally installed the OS X x86 from DVD image its curently, 10.4.1

config is;

shuttle xpc SB86i barebone,

video: intel GMA 900

disk: maxtor SATA 160 gb

cpu: celeron D 326

mem: 512x2 1gb samsung

lan: onboard marvell yukon gigabit, + pci Planex GN-1200TW

except onloard lan everything is working perfectly,

(i dont know about on board lan because im not using it at all)

installation finished without any problems, in about 45 mins from dvd

after i restart the system everything was just perfect no problems!

performance is also great.. ! from graphics to audio everything is working like native mac.

My SB95P has the 925xe chipset with ich6-r also, i have yet to get onboard lan working..

which sux because i have it outfitted with an x1800xt

but oh well

Cool! After a hellish day trying to get the mobo to recognize my Seagate SATA drive (hint: update the bios) I'm working on the install now.

My plan is to go for the the tiger-x86 image and use the dd method. Ultimately I'd like to have a triple boot XP/OSX/FC5 setup.

My configuration:

Shuttle SB86i

Intel Pentium 630

Samsung 512MBx2

Seagate 200GB SATA

I'll report back with my findings. Wish me luck!

-Aaron

Installing the tiger-x86 image with the dd method worked. I can now boot into OS X (well, I suppose Darwin 1st) no problem. The issue I'm having is my mouse & keyboard. I'm using a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard which plain don't work at all; OS X says asks about the keyboard 1st thing.

I'm going to 1st try a regular wired USB mouse and USB keyboard to see if it works. Ultimately, I plan on upgrading to 10.4.5 using the Myzar image, however. Hopefully one or the other will get my wireless keyboard and mouse working as well as 10.4.5. supporting the onboard LAN (I've read that it does).

I think that the SB68i might just be the best little Hackintosh base out there. Let's hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Here also allmost working!

config is;

Dell 2005FPW 20" widescreen (1680x1050)

shuttle xpc SB83G5 barebone,

video: intel GMA 900 ( not using )

video: nVidia GeForce 7600GT 265MB

disk: maxtor SATA 120 gb ( windows and linux )

disk: makxtor PATA 13 gb (OSX 10.4.4)

cpu: Pentium 4 640 3.2GHz

mem: 512x2 1gb

lan: onboard marvell yukon gigabit

Everything is working great, except my onboard lan is not working. It's recognised, but with the notification the cable is not plugged :blink: And my resolution is on 1024x768, and can't change that :D

here are some updates on my x86;

few weeks ago i installed 10.4.6 finally

it seems to be working ok since then.. and im mostly running azureus and amule on it...

still no audio .., have to work on that

but i have an usb kewood afina audio device, so its working in/out great

gma9xx series seems to be the only graphic cards that works natively without patch or editing something.

i installed osx on an usb hdd there were no problems with the installation

but strange thing yesterday i wanted to install osx to a sata drive but it just hangs on "verifying DMI pool data " sequence

i dont know why yet because ican see my all sata drives and work with them under osx without any problems

does anyone have any idea?

also im attaching my xbench results here..

xbench.txt

finally i found the problem with sata drive

it was about the boot flag and the jas iso,

after installing to sata drive i used Gparted Live CD and changed the bootable flag of the installed drive

reboot and now im flyin on sata :)

(thanks to rbq posts)

i also found that there is a patched version of jas iso,

which you dont have to go thru that much trouble.. :(

well one down, more to go...

for 10.4.6, 10.4.5, 10.4.1

sb86i's onboard lan works out-of-box at gigabit.

no tweak, no editing necessary

i dont know about other shuttle models but for sb86i except audio everything is "surprisingly" native...

Hey delag,

I figured I'd post this in here as a an addition to our SB86i dialogue.

I'm trying to install the 10.4.6 JaS right now. It seems a touch slow during the install process but it gets done (BTW, Pentium 630 and 1GB RAM).

It seems to have done everything OK until the restart portion of the install. At that point it just hangs (and the spinning Apple "thinking" icone e.g. the one during bootup) goes around and around. I pulled the DVD, restarted it, and it fails to find a bootable partition.

Also, I was expecting some questions about Intel vs. AMD based on installation option mention on the torrent site:

The install options on the dvd are straight forward
everyone should select the 10.4.6 update install package
Intel users should select the type of Intel sse package that suites there CPU
AMD users should select the type of AMD sse package that suites there CPU , and the SemjaZa V1.2 decrypted files package if they don't want the default maxxuss 10.4.5 decrypts. Note to nForce / VIA SATA / PATA users should select the VIA package in the installer.(Not all nForce Sata is working at this time,so test it out and if its not working...install to a pata drive)

But it never did ask me about installl options save for hitting F8 at the beginning. Any ideas?

Cheers!

-Aaron

ok now you got the install options

just unselect the amd stuff

then it shoudl be ok..

after installation yes it hangs and cant restarts thats a "problem"

however in my all installs and all versions it did that, but after restarting everything should be fine

for booting problems,

what happens did you install to pata or sata?

well in my previous post as i said i used Gparted Live CD

just after install when you restart boot up with live cd then select the drive you installed osx and check its bootable flag, thats all when you restart back everything should be ok, and you will boot up with osx

for the audio, i still dont have chance to get it thru onboard

however im using an usb audio device which works perfect in/out

for now i will stick with that and i will start experimenting with onboard audio sometime later

for the partition stuff.. sorry, i just converted all my 3 disks (2 sata, 1 usb) to hsf+

so im not dual booting anymore.. keeping ntfs disks are also problem since osx can read them but cant write to them.. so i dont want to keep a drive that i cant write to.. :)

afterall osx performs ok, nearly same as winxp in my box

goodluck

can i get some xbench scores on the sb86i boxes? im thinking of building a box just like it for the office.

I got ~72 with my P4 630 3GHz and 1GB RAM machine eith BeamSync still active. I suspect that turning BeamSync off may push it towards 100.

A huge thanks to delag et al for helping me get my system up and running. The only real issues I had were caused by the goofy partitioning I've been trying to get a triple boot machine (GParted Live per delag's suggestion fixed that right). Of course audio still doesn't work but I'll be going to a USB unit anyway so it doesn't much matter to me.

All in all, this has turned out to be a really nice machine. It's like a Mac Mini but with two big hard drives and room for a couple of cards should I choose to install anything else. Not bad!

/real Mac Mini on the way soon...

HELP!

I just got my Shuttle Barebone SB86i installed but I cannot establish any link activity on the Gigabit

Lan adapter? Usually when you plug a Cat-5 network cable into a PC, you will at least establish a link led.

I am not seeing any link LED at all and I have verified my network connection is good to my router and I have tried two different network cables and still no connection. The OS sees that I have built-in Ethernet but I cant do anything.. it is grayed out. I also could not find any setting in the BIOS that would effect turning on/off the Gigabit Lan port? Any suggestions or is my port DEAD?

Thanks in advance,

The Phrack

My Xbench scores for the SB86i as shown in my profile:

Results 56.47

System Info

Xbench Version 1.2

System Version 10.4.6 (8I1119)

Physical RAM 1016 MB

Model ADP2,1

Drive Type ST3200827AS

CPU Test 65.25

GCD Loop 91.70 4.83 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 72.23 1.72 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 47.31 1.56 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 64.87 11.30 Mops/sec

Thread Test 101.19

Computation 83.04 1.68 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 129.49 5.57 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 113.46

System 102.22

Allocate 70.32 258.22 Kalloc/sec

Fill 124.40 6048.84 MB/sec

Copy 141.07 2913.75 MB/sec

Stream 127.49

Copy 122.61 2532.46 MB/sec

Scale 124.96 2581.66 MB/sec

Add 131.75 2806.49 MB/sec

Triad 131.12 2804.89 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 60.19

Line 63.01 4.20 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 50.46 15.07 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 52.84 4.31 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 76.26 1.92 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 65.15 4.08 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 201.57

Spinning Squares 201.57 255.70 frames/sec

User Interface Test 20.63

Elements 20.63 94.66 refresh/sec

Disk Test 50.31

Sequential 91.45

Uncached Write 74.56 45.78 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 80.72 45.67 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 115.18 33.71 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 108.02 54.29 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 34.70

Uncached Write 11.61 1.23 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 93.35 29.89 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 93.86 0.67 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 128.77 23.89 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I was able to easily overclock my P4 630 past 3.0GHz but issue began to arise with stability (I haven't played with CPU core voltages or anything yet, however). At and frequency above 3.45GHz the overall results actually began to fall while teh CPU results continued to go up - odd. I've set it back at default speed which is plenty quick for anything I'm doing in OS X.

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

got this one working, including audio. For audio the trick is to first boot into windows (where audio works with the shipped drivers). Now if you do a reboot (no shutdown) and switch to Mac OSX audio will be there natively (just tested stereo since that's the only thing I use but I believe headphone connector won't work).

Hope this helps some people, now if only I could get shutdown to work properly :D

yes thats the oldest trick since 10.4.1 :graduated:

there was a very loong topic about this, audio must init. thru bios when you boot from windows and when you just restart, loaded stuff will remain in memory and when you boot osx then it can see audio hw.

well im not booting windows anymore in my box, so there is still no chance for me except usb audio....

also you know the lack of reset button of sb86i (i cant get the idea of loosing reset button, to save space? make it more simple? )

so, goodluck everyone.. :dev: for the audio

• 2 weeks later...

I have SB86i too, 10.4.6 JaS DVD installed fine, but i can't initialize audio at all... Also, neither GMA900 nor Radeon X1300 have CI/QE, for X1300 I can't change resolutions. Hope things will changed in future ;-)

hi and welcome to our small but happy sb86i owners group. :hysterical:

yes audio is a problem for now... still waiting for someone to figure it out,

afterall like to all here i suggest you to use a simple usb audio device.

will probably work without troubles.

Well mine works that great i dont even bother to fix the audio.. :)

for ati cards yes its always a problem but thats not sb86is main problem,

however for gma900; it should work perfect. since the first release of deadmoo image

gma 900 is the "only" graphics card which works natively

actually sb86i's configuration is very very close to the developers machines

from the early days of OS X86 development. so exept audio everything should work natively

while you install did you select the gma900 addons from the install menu?

maybe thats the problem..

good luck

If I check during install GMA900 AddOns - system hangs on progress of boot, and I can't disable that patch, only reinstall.

Update: But, after installing GMA900 package from this forum link (http://art5dog.com) i have 10.4.6 with CI/QE on my box, ppl u r roxx!

Also, audio sliders active in case of use patched with ICH6 IO AppleHDA.kext from this forum (it have 1.1.0a17 version string), not active with the same IO changes in 10.4.6 version (1.1.4a9). Azallia doesn't work at all... but I havn't earlier versions for experiments, only byndled with 10.4.6 JaS DVD.

In my case, I need only full functional Coaxial SPDIF Out, it's connected to the receiver... PPL, please attach yourth Azallia extensions pls, mayby it will work...

• 3 months later...

Hello all, I just wanted to refresh this post and Im just curious to know if anyone has the SB86i working with audio and ATI X1600 cards? Im looking to build a pure osx86 box, and I like the design and sff of this system. but Im also looking at other ones.. well anywho.. I'd really like to get an update on these systems.

Scotty Geek

• 4 weeks later...

@ Scotty

I got my SB86i running perfectly with an ATI X1800XL and a Turtle Beach Advantage Micro USB Soundcard. For sound I simply dsiabled onboard sound in the BIOS and used the JaS 10.4.6 install disk with the USB audio support (Sounblaster I think?) selected. To get the video working fully I used NeoPheus' installer for the Boris method. Worked awesome.

The only quirks are restart related; during the install you'll have to manually power down the machine as it won't restart itself. Turn it back on and it works fine. Also, restart from within OS X won't work until you do the Mach kernel mod (pretty easy).

All in all it is a great machine - slightly bigger thana Mini but with WAY more power potential!

-DW

• 2 months later...