Fujitsu T-421X TabletPC

135 posts in this topic

Having played with khashoggi's driver for a bit, all i can say is that i'm pretty happy with everything.

With a little help from TabletMagic i got Inkwell to work as it should.

All you have to do is install TabletMagic - > go into Extras tab -> click Enagle Ink.

Then go into System Preferences -> Ink -> Enable handwriting recognition.

I can't imagine it wouldn't be working on any other tablet pc.

So, at the end of the day i got a fully functional MACTABLET with the exception of:

1. No Calibration - the default one's good enough for now.

2. No Pressure Sensitivity settings and some others available in Wacom App/Driver

3. No Hardware Tablet Button support - shouldn't be a problem if you're using XFree, but definitely needs to be looked at.

Now we need to rename this thread to something less obscure and get the masses in.

Also, would be interesting to find out if there's a way of internally converting our serial port to a virtual USB one so that Wacom driver detects it

And the last thing - there have been a couple of tablet pc releases with USB digitizers (like, say, Asus R1F). I'd like to hear some feed back on the situation there.

Great Work!!!

Just to let mere mortals know how the progress is going:

To get some basic functionality out of your Tablet PC Digitizer do the following(no garranites though):

Go into Windows Device Manager and into you digitizer's driver -> go into the Details tab -> Copy this 8/7 character string before the slash.

Edit info.plist:

/system/library/extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist

change IONameMatch string:

PNP0501 to whatever your 8/7 character string is.

eg for T Series Fujitsu it is FUJ02E5

or for HP TC4200 it is WACF006

Clear kext caches by removing the following files:

/system/library/Extensions.kextcache

/system/library/Extensions.mkext

Download Khashoggi's temporary driver from a few posts up.

Copy kkTabletDaemonStartupitem from the downloaded archive to /library/startupitems

Reboot

Ok, this has got the Tablet on my T4215 working but the tracking is WAY off. The X axis is totally exagerated, i.e. moving the pen 1/16" sends the cursor flying and the Y axis sensitivity is exactly the opposite. The digitizer settings in TabletMagic are "locked" so I can't see a way to affect the sensitivity/tracking of the pen.

Any ideas on where I've gone wrong?

i think you might be using tabletmagic as your driver so kill it by going into extras tab and clicking on kill daemon. then manually start khashoggi's daemon... it should give you a terminal window saying that the tablet initialized successfully, which you don't close by the way.

you will find a better set of instructions here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=41054

Now now boys and girls, stop telling tales on each other.

To be honest, neither code works right so I don't see the need to worry about it.

Now, Khas, why don't you give your realbasic source code out, or whatever the hell it is. That way:

If it is realbasic code then we can all be happy that it's not a rip off.

If it IS Scott's code then you've released it all GPL like so we're all happy.

And FINALLY, whatever the code is, not that anyone apart from you two particularly cares, we just want working TabletPC's it can then be adapted and integrated into Tablet Magic to allow us to use the damn things properly. OK?

Good thing you have a genius like me to think of these things, isn't it.

Scott, with the code think you can get it into 2.0 before you finish the beta cycle?

I honestly don't understand this. 10.4.6, 10.4.8, either revision of kext, I've tried all four combinations but it simply doesn't work. The moment I try and access the serial port, the system gives me the Grey Screen of Death.

Anyone think it's a northbridge/southbridge/cpu fault? I was having my doubts about the way the system kept corrupting itself when it ran Windows. Memtest showed nothing.

Still, I'm again without pen support and thus wasting the £500 extra this machine cost me over a standard model. Unfortunately, I can't let Fujitsu have it till the end of term. Oh to hell with it, It doesn't work right anyway, I should just stick with my iBook.

i think you might be using tabletmagic as your driver so kill it by going into extras tab and clicking on kill daemon. then manually start khashoggi's daemon... it should give you a terminal window saying that the tablet initialized successfully, which you don't close by the way.

you will find a better set of instructions here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=41054

Thanks, that fixed it. The Tablet now works fine although I must say that Apple's Ink doesn't seem to be as good as I was hoping. Granted, I do write like a serial killer.

If I could just get Audio and Wifi working this thing would be nearly 100% functional!

I honestly don't understand this. 10.4.6, 10.4.8, either revision of kext, I've tried all four combinations but it simply doesn't work. The moment I try and access the serial port, the system gives me the Grey Screen of Death.

I'm using OSX 10.4.6 updated to 10.4.7.

Also, try looking in your bios for suspicious serial/digitizer settings.

I'm pretty certain it's a software issue. One of the signs is Rexpresso with his working digitizer on the same tablet.

On to wireless...

T4210 (I would imagine the T4215's are very similar in layout minus the Core2Duo instead of CoreDuo)

Gathering information from the busses using windoze:

Wireless card (dell 1390 PCI-E) shows memory range: PCI5,DEV0,FUN0 $DBFFC000 - DBFFFFFF

ethernet (Marvell/Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E) PCI2,DEV0,FUN0 $F0000000 - F0003FFF

o2 micro OZ711MP1/MS1 memory cardbus controller PCI8,DEV3,FUN0 $FEBFF000 - FEBFFFFF

" $FEBFE000 - FEBFEFFF

" $D0000000 - D3FFFFFF

o2 micro OZ711MP1/MS1 memory cardbus controller PCI8,DEV3,FUN1 $FEBFD000 - FEBFDFFF

" $FEBFC000 - FEBFCFFF

" $CC000000 - CFFFFFFF

02 micro integrated MMC/SD controller PCI8,DEV3,FUN2 $F0201000 - F02010FF

02 micro integrated MS/SM/xD controller PCI8,DEV3,FUN3 $F0200000 - F0200FFF

Intel 82801 PCI Bridge-2448 PCI0,DEV30,FUN0

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express root port 27d0 PCI0,DEV28,FUN0 $F0000000 - F00FFFFF

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express root port 27d2 PCI0,DEV28,FUN1 $F4000000 - F7FFFFFF

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express root port 27d4 PCI0,DEV28,FUN2 $D8000000 - D8FFFFFF

$D4000000 - D7FFFFFF

so my prelimary analysis is:

We know that the ethernet works and its bus is powered up, which is PCI bus #2 according to above with memory range for the controller at $F0000000 - F003FFF and all the stuff that doesn't work is the wireless cards, the 02 micro cardbus slot, and the 02 MMC/SD card reader which all use PCI bus #5 or #8 with several memory ranges.

Since the Ethernet works, and its memory range falls within the "Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express root port 27d0" that means that particular PCI express port is powered up and operational.

I will review the ioreg output when in OSX but I seem to remember that the other two ports 27d2 and 27d4 were not powered up and that the device tree showed the wireless, cardbus controller, and SD card readers as being underneath them.

I am going to boot my Macbook Pro into bootcamp windoze and check the device manager output there and compare to see if their are any bus similiarities.

My theory is that the busses that interface with the wireless and other non-working systems on the T4210 are not being powered up/enumerated and therefore whatever is connected to those busses is never seen by the OS. There may be someway to tweak the existing OSX kexts responsible for bus enumeration to look at these particular busses (maybe even swap which one it looks at if it is limited to one - for example knock off the ethernet in favor of the wireless - I would make that trade).

If anyone has something to add or wishes to help figure this out, please I welcome you to help with the mystery and lets get our wireless working. Tablet's are no fun with wires sticking out of them to use internet. Oh, and bluetooth through my phone is too much of a blast to the past at ISDN speeds...

Here is a T4210 Fedora core 6 lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller AHCI (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)

05:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)

08:03.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711MP1/MS1 MemoryCardBus Controller (rev 20)

08:03.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711MP1/MS1 MemoryCardBus Controller (rev 20)

08:03.2 Class 0805: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MMC/SD Controller

08:03.3 Bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MS/xD Controller

lspci -t :

-[0000:00]-+-00.0

+-02.0

+-02.1

+-1b.0

+-1c.0-[0000:02]----00.0

+-1c.1-[0000:03-04]--

+-1c.2-[0000:05]----00.0

+-1d.0

+-1d.1

+-1d.2

+-1d.3

+-1d.7

+-1e.0-[0000:08-10]--+-03.0

| +-03.1

| +-03.2

| \-03.3

+-1f.0

+-1f.1

+-1f.2

\-1f.3

I think it is a bus enumeration issue where the Apple driver is going through the busses and finding a gap in the bus numbering 0.1.2.5 and stops because there is no 3 thinking its done and never sees the devices afterwards... It is still a hunch, and I don't see conclusive proof yet...

The T4210 and T4215 ARE identical. You can even upgrade one to the other. They share a bios, so you can flash the T4210 with the T4210/5 v1.09 bios, and the CPU is socketed according to CPU-Z, so you can simply swap it for the 64 bit core 2 duo.

As for the Software settings, there are virtually no BIOS configurable options. Hence why I think I have a faulty machine. Ubuntu boots but runs at a snails pace, Sabayon crashes halfway though boot, and Windows was behaving very oddly from first install - Mysterious inexplicable Bluescreens every few days. Hence why I thought it was a hardware issue. I upgraded to the newer Combo bios to try and fix them.

Oh V&*ta to it, I've called them up to arrange collection and repair. Was supposed to go over christmas, but at he time my backup notebook (iBook G3 700) Was without a PSU. Now that I have it back, and I don't have a functional pen anyway, I guess it might aswell get fixed. It's under warranty.

Here are the DIFFs between the previous version of the Daemon posted by Khashoggi and the latest version:

CuriousDiffs.png

Sorry, Scott, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

Mac OS X has built-in support for "ADB" tablets, which older powerbooks used as their touchpad. These devices operate only in mouse-mode only, and when you attach some older ADB Wacom tablets they will work without any additional drivers installed. Mac OS X doesn't register pressure or absolute positioning from these devices, but they work on a basic level.

So I was curious whether the touch screen on the Fujitsu is similar, in that Mac OS X can recognize it without any additional driver - such as TabletMagic or its derivatives - installed. I'm guessing they don't work without a driver daemon to translate serial data to system events, but I'd like to know for sure.

Edited by Scott Lahteine

Hi all.

I'm really excited that someone here figured out how to expose the serial ports on the TabletPC. People have been asking about this quite a lot on the TabletMagic project page at SourceForge, and as far as I know you're the first individuals to have discovered the missing link that will allow the driver to support your machines.

I'm eager to add TabletPC support to TabletMagic as soon as possible so that you can have a trusted, open source driver without fear of keyloggers or trojans from sketchy sources. But to get TabletPC support working I need your help. There's a logging version of TabletMagic for testing and troubleshooting. I ask that anyone who has the time, please help decipher the TabletPC protocols as follows:

- Download http://thinkyhead.com/pub/TabletMagic2b7-logging.dmg

- Double-click the package to install the preference pane and daemon

- Make sure no other daemon is running. Use "kill" in Terminal if needed.

- Open the TabletMagic preference pane

- Click the "Enable" button to start the daemon

- (1) Move the stylus to each corner of the tablet without touching it.

- (2) Move the stylus to each corner of the tablet, pressing lightly.

- (3) Move the stylus to each corner of the tablet, pressing firmly.

- Turn the stylus over and do 1-3 above with the eraser.

- If the stylus has other buttons then turn the stylus over again and press each buttons in succession.

After this, use the "Kill Daemon" button to shut down TabletMagic. You'll find a log file in the /Users/Shared folder. Email this file directly to me through my support address at http://thinkyhead.com/support.php any time.

I will do my best to decipher the protocols and make a test version for you as soon as I can. If anyone has any specific insights into the tablet protocol, I'd love to know more.

Thank you all for your work on this, and my apologies for muddying up the thread with my amateur sleuthing and dharma battling. It's not easy to know what to do in such situations, and open source is rife with this kind of risk. For those of you who share my interest in this unfortunate aspect of Open Source I have saved the complete transcripts of our fascinating debate and I will soon have an article, complete transcripts, and a full forensic analysis posted at the Thinkyhead website.

Thanks Scott for your continued work on Tabletmagic. As you know I stripped out some of the personal information from my driver that was included from Tabletmagic. Since I only wanted to use some of the serial protocol error messages I made sure the extraneous information was removed.

I wish I had based my work mostly on Tabletmagic that way I could email you the code and you get immediately add support for the Fujitsu tablets. My hack is only meant for those to use in the mean time, and is only available here.

Feel free to add this FINAL message to your dossier. Since there is workable pen support (and has been for the last year for me), I am turning my attention 100% to getting the PCI express busses operational so that WIFI will work. I trust Tabletmagic does not have any wireless driver potential so I see we won't be talking much anymore. Please let us know when your Tabletmagic supports the Fujitsu (and other) Tablet PC's.

All the best,

Khashoggi

ioreg -lx from T4210 tablet enclosed.

Please note "ethernet" sections. One, the Yukon powers up and is a functioning ethernet port. The other vendor $14e4 is a dell truemobile 1390 broadcom based wifi card is not working (and appears powered down).

Anyone else see the same thing about the wifi card, or have any other analysis?

t4210_ioreg.txt

Am testing the Khashoggi deamon, TabletMagic freezes or no tabletmagic freezes.

Interesting difference between our Tablets Khas, mine has an Atheros AR5006EG wireless chipset.

Tried Memtest, and my hard-disk shows no SMART errors - which it should if there were problems. Hav also tried different areas of the disk, low level formats etc etc etc.

It's not the RAM, and it's not the HDD.

ioreg -lx from T4210 tablet enclosed.

Please note "ethernet" sections. One, the Yukon powers up and is a functioning ethernet port. The other vendor $14e4 is a dell truemobile 1390 broadcom based wifi card is not working (and appears powered down).

Anyone else see the same thing about the wifi card, or have any other analysis?

Here's my ioreg output with the standard Intel 3945ABG installed. Too bad there's no miniPCI slot.....

rex_ioreg.txt

Edited by Rexpresso

Am testing the Khashoggi deamon, TabletMagic freezes or no tabletmagic freezes.

Interesting difference between our Tablets Khas, mine has an Atheros AR5006EG wireless chipset.

Tried Memtest, and my hard-disk shows no SMART errors - which it should if there were problems. Hav also tried different areas of the disk, low level formats etc etc etc.

It's not the RAM, and it's not the HDD.

The Fujitsu tablets either came with the Intel 3945ABG or Atheros AR5006EG. Mine had the Intel which I knew had no support in OSX so I bought a Dell Truemobile 1390 card (reported to work by many here - based on broadcom chipset and PCI-E) and swapped it for the Intel card (easy to do, took >5 minutes).

I think if you don't have Smart problems and memtest is OK that your tablet is bad. My first tablet, the T4010 which I had fully working with sound, tablet, wifi (through a PC card) was great. But then one day it wouldn't turn on, nothing wierd, just wouldn't turn on. It was about a month out of warranty and they wanted around $800 to replace the motherboad and told them forget it. I sent it to a electronics component level repair house and they found the broblem with the Northbridge but couldn't locate any spares so it was stripped of some parts and junked. I bought the T4210 new on ebay from Fujitsu for around $1200 and it is much faster AND most importantly has a 3 YEAR warranty! ;)

I've owned many many laptops (mostly Apple) and I have never had one completely die on me. Send yours in while you still have a warranty. I've heard Fujitsu warranty service is top notch.

Believe me I'm going to.

Tried to call them yesterday but the lines were busy. Still, they took my name and number and hopefully they'll call me back.

Was supposed to go in over Christmas but a communications screw up meant it was too late and I wouldn't have had a computer at the start of term. Now I have my Linux workstation, my iBook and my G4 PowerPC I guess I don't need to worry so much.

Believe me I'm going to.

Tried to call them yesterday but the lines were busy. Still, they took my name and number and hopefully they'll call me back.

Was supposed to go in over Christmas but a communications screw up meant it was too late and I wouldn't have had a computer at the start of term. Now I have my Linux workstation, my iBook and my G4 PowerPC I guess I don't need to worry so much.

I currently have about 20 Fujitsu T series notebooks that I support, most are 4020s and 4210s. I've had very few problems and have had to send only 3 away for service in the past three years. Two 4020s had to go back for CPU Fan swaps (they were grinding) and my 4215 had to have a board swap because of some serious APM issues. Everytime the turnaround on repairs was less than 5 days and everytime Fujitsu has matched my overnight shipping for the return. If you can't get their phone support try the online chat of the web page...I've used it several times and they will RMA without having you call (unlike some online service chats. *cough* Gateway).

Anyway, Kash your PC Card slot works then? I've tried a couple of PC Card WiFi cards (broadcom-based, following the guide I found here somewhere) but neither seemed to be recognized by the system. Not sure if its the card not initializing or the card slot not initializing.

Actually, He bought an internal Mini-Pci card and replaced the intel wth that.

Hey, the Airport extreme isn't mini-PCI by any chance, is it?

If it was, would be easy to put one in and get easily compatible wifi! mm, maybe even an 802.11n based extreme! :hysterical:

I think enabling the PCI should give us our mpci slot and cardbus; which would then give Smart Card support - I think I saw a kext for it. What about the SCSI?

Edited by Ferret-Simpson

My Macbook Pro 2.16 15" has a AR5006EX in it, so I'm sure your AR5006 will be compatible just as long as we get it powered up.

The 802.11n variants need THREE antennas from what I understand, and the Fujitsu has only two antenna's built in. I've looked in there and when I was swapping, there was only two antenna cables.

My Macbook Pro 2.16 15" has a AR5006EX in it, so I'm sure your AR5006 will be compatible just as long as we get it powered up.

The 802.11n variants need THREE antennas from what I understand, and the Fujitsu has only two antenna's built in. I've looked in there and when I was swapping, there was only two antenna cables.

So there IS a mini-PCI slot inside the T-421X chassis? I was under the impression that the Wifi was on the motherboard and not socketed. Where's the slot at and how hard is it to get to?

How to access T4210 Wifi and/or bluetooth cards:

remove AC power, and battery.

There are three screws on the bottom of the T4210 near the rear edge in the rear center that have arrows underneath them. Remove these three screws.

Remove the plastic bezel under the screen that is about an 1" thick by the width of the computer. Right under the screen mount. It is tricky, but you have to pop it out.

Then you can flip the keyboard out (might have to remove a couple of screws - I forget, but it is obvious) and up towards the front resting upside down. Under the keyboard are the wifi and bluetooth modules.