Asus P5B Wifi Wireless?

nagal

6 posts in this topic

I am trying to get all the computers in my home wireless. So I started to dig into the built-in wireless on the Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi Edition. I knew it was a usb device because it plugs into one of the USB headers on the motherboard. So I enabled it in BIOS and boot into Windows. Turns out it is a Realtek RTL8187. So I start digging around and find out that Realtek has an OS X 10.4 driver right on their website for downloading!

I download and install it reboot and nothing. I check console and their is a entry about failed to get name (wish I would have written the whole msg down). Immediately I start thinking ProductIDs and VendorIDs dont match in the kext.

I open up terminal and see that their is a kext for the RTL8187 (/System/Library/Extensions/rtl8187.kext.) I go in and find what I believe to be the PID and VID (there was a few entries for different things but I got the PID and VID for the REALTEK 8187 key).

Boot into Windows and find out the VID should be 0BDA and PID 8187. Info.plist listed VID 3034 and PID 33159. Go back into OS X modify the entries in Info.plist. chown rtl8178.kext and rm mkext and kextcache for Extensions and reboot.

Still nothing but I don't see any error listed in Console.

Part of the download for the driver containts a WLAN Client Utility. When ever I run it, it says no wireless lan card found.

So, I am at the end of my limited knowledge so I come to you all looking for help. This is my first try at hacking a kext.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but the realtek drivers now works!

My Realtek 8187 USB (Asus WiFi) is detected as a network interface, the problem now is the configuration utility from realtek doesn't work, so I can't configure it to connect somewhere :)

• 3 months later...
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but the realtek drivers now works!

My Realtek 8187 USB (Asus WiFi) is detected as a network interface, the problem now is the configuration utility from realtek doesn't work, so I can't configure it to connect somewhere :)

Does the P5B Deluxe-WiFi have the same wifi chip as the P5W DH Deluxe-Wifi? If so, then the driver shown in this thread supposedly works... http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0wifi&st=40

It doesn't work for me at all. Everything seems to install correctly, but when I try to open the Realtech wifi program it just hangs. :thumbsup_anim:

Arcanis, or anyone else with a P5B, have you gotten this wifi to work?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Asus P5B deluxe Wifi.

The Driver install fine and sometimes i can get the utility to work!

But sometimes I get the following error when starting in -v mode.

EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS

Then I found a BIOS setting referring to that. I disabled it, and voila! It works but not always if I restart it sometimes fails anyway.

Has anybody else had some experience with this issue??