Questions on OSx86 "10.4.3" Update

guilliamo

6 posts in this topic

Have installed the update on two similar systems, both with Intel D915GAG boards & onboard DMA900 video. One has a P4 3.0GHz, and one has a 2.66GHz Celeron D. XBench uptick very nice, especially in vecLib FFT. Posting a couple of questions here since the original thread is getting so long that any questions are getting buried.

1) On both systems I get a visible file after the update named "mach_kernel", 7,806,984 bytes, dated October 28, 2005 in the root directory of my boot disk. Is this a file that went awry in the installer ??

2) Apple DVD player seems to work ok on the Celeron system, but opens and seems to run without displaying sound or video on the P4 system. Will try to do a comparison of the support files to see if there may be an obvious explanation for this. Anyone else seeing similar behavior ?

Happy Halloween & Thanks, especially to those who contributed to this great upgrade!

G

1) On both systems I get a visible file after the update named "mach_kernel", 7,806,984 bytes, dated October 28, 2005 in the root directory of my boot disk. Is this a file that went awry in the installer ??

no this file is required, and from my non-technical position, it's the file that makes osx run on your notebook... do not delete it. Most patches that come out (maxxuss etc) are updates to this file.

• 2 weeks later...

Machine Name: Apple Development Platform

Machine Model: ADP2,1

CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 3 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL TPR

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: EV91510A.86A.0308.2004.1018.1127 (Intel Corp.)

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: Built-In

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2582

Revision ID: 0x0004

Displays:

Display:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Despite good starts of loading and off-loading apps. I still have a problem with DVD's playing. The original install and the "10.4.1 Update" just make it better for speed and stability. Sound works, iApps work, even MSOffice works well. Browsing and FTP are wonderful. ITunes shares my library of songs. I've even got FrontRow and PhotoBooth working with my setup. But, no matter what I do I can't get a DVD to play for anything. I guess I shouldn't complain given so much is working, but it bugs me still.

• 2 weeks later...

how can I check what kernel is used now that I updated 10.4.1 to 10.4.3 with the maxxus-patched DVD on a native CeleronD (SSE3)/i915-gma900? Is it the original kernel (SSE, nx) or the SSE2-Kernel ???

BTW the update was very slow and had some strange graphics phenomens but 1 boot later everything was fine and amazingly fast!