Broadcom 1390 (4311) help

8 posts in this topic

Okay folks I can't get my dell 1390 (broadcom 4311 mini-PCIe) to work. Here is some info about my machine and steps I have taken.

1. I installed the dell card and removed the intel from my fujitsu 4215 tablet pc hoping to get wifi in osx.

2. The dell card was successfull installed in both XP and vista.

3. Tried to install JAS 10.4.6 release and upon boot from DVD, a black screen popped up and in several languages I was told that I needed to restart the computer, I did this and continually got the error. So I disabled the wifi in my BIOS and was able to do a clean install 10.4.6.

4. So after the install is complete, I try to enable wifi in the BIOS and get the same error and unable to boot to osX.

5. So I then did a clean install of 10.4.7, with the wifi card enabled I received no errors. However, even though I installed the wireless support from jas (which includes the plist for the card) the card is still not detected.

I disabled the following one at a time in the BIOS and still unable to detect:

- Hardware power management

- speedstep technology

- core multi-processing

- AHCI configuration

- LAN

- Bluetooth

- IDE controller

My current thinking is that OSx is not "seeing" the card and therefor it can't load the driver. I have manually kextloaded the plist, however this has not helped. The dell card is not offered by Fujitsu as an optional upgrade, only the intel and Atheros Super AG is...could I purchase the atheros card and it be detected???

What I find strange is that this card works in both XP and Vista, but not in OSX...I've searched the forums read literally hundreds of posts and am hoping that some genius in the hardware forum can point me in the right direction or offer any help.

For anyone who may be trying to help me out here is some additional information. If I mannualy kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/

I receive the following information in system profiler:

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Does this mean anything to anybody???thanks

Another update on my progress (or lack therof):

The dependency error in the last post goes away if I replace my modified ionetworkingfamily.kext with the one from the original dvd.

However even without this dependency error, I am still not able to use wireless.

Another note:

AppleAirportBrcm4311 extension is now being loaded upon startup, but remains unusable. I can see it right there in system profiler under the extensions section just laughing and laughing at me!!!

Edited by uberphotos

• 1 month later...
I have the same problem with my laptop, Presario C300.

uberphotos, please can you upload your modified kext? Thanks

I have this problem, with a c300 series laptop as well - if either of you ever found a solution, please let me know

• 6 months later...

same here, also the first time i install os x (jas 10.4.8 or others) the welcome screen detects wireless, i can connect to my wifi and have internet working.. until i reboot

another related thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry465564

UPDATE: it works after trying different kexts, 802... and related. Try to install form another DVD or update network drivers.