I write a Vista driver for Intel Mac IR device

xxxin

117 posts in this topic

I can't install the IR devicedriver on macmini 1,83 or MBP 2,33

with a final german version of Vista Ultimate:

I carefully read the whole thread but can't find a solution.

I did not install any of the previous IR versions ... only 1.0.0.4

Here first some screenshots (german version - but I think you will know what it says :) :

post-86597-1172051404_thumb.gif post-86597-1172051426_thumb.gif post-86597-1172051481_thumb.gif

post-86597-1172051432_thumb.gif post-86597-1172051472_thumb.gif

So I think I have chosen the right device ?"

When I try to install the new IR drivers, I get the infomation that the newest drivers are already installed, so no changes were made.

post-86597-1172051492_thumb.gif

Here the files of version 1.0.0.4 I tried to install

post-86597-1172051504_thumb.gif

I already tried to deinstall the USB-HID device - but after installation I got the same problem.

Has anybody an idea how to overwrite the old MS-drivers. Is it possible that the german version of vista causes these problems ?

Thanks - would be great if it would work !

Edited by muffinchen

From the screen shot, you haven't installed the driver at all. Please use "Update driver" button in the device manager to manually install the 1.0.0.4 driver. You can check the previous posts, there is a link to a driver installation tutorial.

hi,

mal auf deutsch... Du musst dem USB Gerät den Treiber zuweisen. Das machst du mittels der Treiber aktualisieren funktion. Dort sagst du nicht, dass er sich den Treiber selbst suchen soll, sondern du wählst "Auf dem Computer nach Treibersofware suchen." und nun nur noch das verzeichnis wählen und weiter.

Falls du weitere Probleme hast melde dich ;) - btw. habs auf meinem MBP 2,33 getestet und läuft..

Hello xxxin,

as you may see in one of my screenshots there is written "Treibersoftware aktualisieren" (= Update Driver) - this means I tried to update the driver manually (also choosing the correct directory on my computer) but it din't work.

I also tried to install the driver with the DPInst.exe program. I'll always get the same message that the newest drivers are already installed. The same on macmini and MBP.

See what I get using the DPInst.exe program:

post-86597-1172230774_thumb.gif

The driver update for the other devices (f.e. bluetooth / iSight) worked without any problem !

So I have no idea what is the problem ?!

Edited by muffinchen

TTrek had the solution for me - Thank you !!!!

There are two different ways to update drivers manually in the device manager -

The first (red) didn't work on my macmini & MBP but

the second (green) worked without any problem !!

post-86597-1172231556_thumb.gif

after selecting the "green way" it showed me the next window:

post-86597-1172231577_thumb.gif

... and the driver was installed !!

Now I'll check and will start the MacIR.exe program.

GREAT - it works now ! Thanks for this driver

PS: In MediaCenter the Play/Pause Button doesn't work correctly - it always restarts automatically after a second

Edited by muffinchen

@xxxin:

May I ask you if you stopped the development? There aren't any files at your sourceforge page...

Did Apple call ya for the new Bootcamp build? ;-)

@muffinchen:

:(

If you put a shortcut in autostart, you don't need to start it manually. The funny thing - you can navigate in vista with the remote control, too.

Edited by TTrek

Hi,

Sorry i've not tested this in a while! But GOOD WORK! It's working on my MacBook Pro :P

I have a request, could you please make it so when you hold the 'Play / Pause' button for 3 seconds, Windows Vista goes into Sleep mode?

Thank you

Tom

Impressive work! Driver is very useful in the media center. The wakeup from sleep mode sounds like a good idea. Being able to pause media playback in Vista media center would also be useful

Keep up the good work!

I currently run XP Media Center 2005 on my Mac mini. I have no immediate plans to upgrade to Vista as :-

1) it costs DOUBLE the US price here in the UK

2) it adds no significant additional Media Center features here in Europe

3) IE7 and WMP11 which you are forced to use with Vista, tend to screw up Album Artwork

Microsoft have made noises which suggest we will eventually get some new Media Center features to address European issues but there is no time scale.

So... as I said I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade to Vista but I would still like a driver for the built-in IR receiver. Potentially I could then use the Microsoft remote control with the built-in IR receiver and make it look even tidier in the living room.

As I can see several other people have expressed a desire for an XP version I can only add my request to this group. I am not a developer myself so I cannot take the source code and undertake this, but if anyone is interested I can show how to use Apple Lossless music in WMP in Windows and how to share with iTunes.

Edited by John Lockwood

It does not work for me.

I have a 20¨ iMac Core Duo. Running Windows Vista 32-bit.

The image above shows the installed IR device running on Port 2 Hub 3 (Port_#0002.Hub_#0003)- however, on my iMac the not working human interface device is on Port 2 Hub 4 (Port_#0002.Hub_#0004)

When i attempt to install the driver i get:

¨The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a drive, make sure it is deisgned to work with Windows for 32-bit systems¨

Running MacIR.exe does nothing.

Hope my feedback is helpful! I lookforward to a fix :D - I'll post results from my MacBook Pro 15¨ tomorrow when i'm at work

I had the same problem, try uninstalling the device. Next scan for hardware changes, or reboot. Then go to the unknown device, install the drivers, choose browse my computer, then choose let me pick from a list. Next choose any device or unknown device and click next. Navigate the the driver and install it. Note that this got the driver installed on my macbook but I get and error code (10) device cannot start. One step closer but not there yet. Anyone else have this problem or find a solution?

Are you using version 1.0.0.4?

You need to uninstall the previous driver only if you have already installed Mac IR driver prior to version 1.0.0.4. If you have the Microsoft's default driver installed(not working), you can just install my driver manually without uninstalling it.

Maybe a clean install of Vista and my driver will solve the problem...

Hi

Thanks for making this driver. I got it to work very easily on my macbook.

One problem I am seeing is that MacIR.exe prevents the machine to go to sleep. LCD turns off and everything but the machine is still awake (Fan is running at full speed and the sleep indicator is full on instead of glowing..) When I press any of the remote button, it goes to sleep, but until then, it gets hung there...

Regards

Great work mate. :)

I ran across this thread this morning and did not waste any time to install Vista on my mini.

Thank you for the great working driver.

I did mod it a little bit. (Hope it is OK)

You can find a modded version of the MacIR.exe under www.nouse.de/MacIRMod.zip. (Edit: Please use www.nouse.de/MacIrMod_plusactivated.zip to get the latest binary)

It works just like the original one but adds the following:

If you hold the "+" button for about 5 sec, continuing to hold the "+" button will increase the volume until you release the "+" button. The same with the - button.

If you hold the "Menu" button for a while on Vista Ultimate, Windows Media Center will launch.

Now I can use Vista Ultimate just like Frontrow.

It is really just a lame cheap hack and since the author does continue to work on this as I read I did not want to spend too much time on this + my MacMini only has 512 MB yet and running VS 2005 is not really fun.

Anyway. The source is included just in case you do not trust me and want to compile it yourself ;-)

Frank

P.S.: It is pretty untested and since it is also pretty lame there might be issues. I will use it for a while and update it if needed.

Edited by ppxnouse

Short update.

I did not like getting 50 VK_BACK before MediaCenter did launch. In addition I noticed, that MediaCenter did get lauched x-times sometimes.

I made the following change:

"Menu" button does only do one VK_BACK per press. No repeat of the keysroke when you hold the button. If you want to go back 7 times, you need to press "Menu" 7 times.

In addition the MacIrMod now checks if MediaCenter process is already running and kips launching it again.

I did observe, that sometimes IR commands are logged w/o me pressing a remote button.

I think it is because os the LCD TV that does stand on the oposite site of my room. Maybe I will add a key sequence you need to press when you want to launch MediaCenter. Any input appreciated.

I updated the downloadable .zip file.

Please note: As already stated, this is only a quick hack. Do not write code like mine ;-).

Edit: For people that experience IR codes getting logged (with MacIrDiag) sometimes even if they do not touch their remote like me (Do not know if this is due to IR emitting electronics in my room or a bug in the IR receiver) and have problems because their work gets interupted by random remote commands, there is a version(www.nouse.de/MacIrMod_plusactivated.zip), that suspends it operation 60sec after the last time you pressed the "+" button. To resume you just have to press the "+" button again and the remote will work for 60sec after the last "+" keypress and then suspends again.

Edit2: This version (MacIrMod_plusactivated.zip) also handles the issue, that sometimes when pressing "Menu" for some seconds to launch MediaCenter, the window that was the last foreground window gets activated again and Mediamanager launches in the background.

Edit3: The package (www.nouse.de/MacIrMod_plusactivated.zip) now also contains a version that does not need the + button to get activated, but handles the Activation of the MediaCenter Window just as the plusactivated one. (MacIRMod_noPlusActivation.exe)

Sorry for the poor English.

Edited by ppxnouse

A last note:

I had problems with the IR device not reacting anymore after a system sleep.= (IR Device had exclamationmark in Devicemanager and I was forced to disable / enable it to get it working again).

It looks like if you close the handle on the IR Device and stop the "Driver Thread" before sleep and resume all after the PC woke up in the MacIR app you can workaround this problem (at least it works for me).