Apple TV

9 posts in this topic

From the apple tv spec sheet on apples website:

Video formats supported: H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): 640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps, Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile

Does the above mention of MPEG-4 mean that the Apple TV device will play my Xvid video library?

(I've learned how to get my xvid files included in iTunes library and playable in iTunes, so I'm hoping they can be synced or preferably streamed to the Apple TV)

Does anyone know?

hmmm... getting quicktime to play xvid was as simple as dumping the codec(s) into a folder. If the Apple TV turns out to be as easy to use as that, than it's super neat.... otherwise, if it only plays stuff purchased from iTunes store, it's kinda way too expensive.

If I understood well, the AppleTV plays what is streamed wirelessly from a iTunes running on a mac/pc, so all what iTunes can play, Appletv should play too. Also, I think that support for free players(VLC, MPlayer, ...) to stream to AppleTV will come, If this occurs, you will be able to play almos everything!

Come on, the mac community is smart enough to do that :)

I had an idea the moment Steve said it has Intel CPU and hard drive... will it be possible to install OS X on the apple TV? It would be ideal little office/internet box... no noise, no power brick... just perfect.

Those are the specs... I found those on macrumors.com forum

The processor appears to be a 1.0 GHz Dothan with 2 MB L2 cache <- enough for office

Main Memory 256 MB 400 MHz DDR2 <- i'd like 512MB

Fixed to the logic board <- sux

Graphics nVidia G72M, 64 MB DDR2 <- GF7300

Bus speed 350 MHz

Hard Drive 40 GB, PATA, 2.5-inch <- enough for office

Ethernet 10/100

Wireless M35B mini PCIe 802.11n (no Bluetooth)

Antennas 2 x 3 (2 Transmit/3 Receive)

USB One USB 2.0 host port (for use when servicing unit) <- you would need an USB hub

Firewire None

Video Out HDMI, Component RCA <- HDMI - DVI adapter would solve that

Audio I/O HDMI, digital optical, Analog R/L RCA, no microphone, no speaker, Dolby Digital ready (5.1) with HDMI or digital optical

A bit short on the RAM tho...

Are you sure? I've seen something else... :)
Actually i'm pretty sure :D It'll be only a matter of time.