Front Row

urig-herb

61 posts in this topic

front row and centerstage are OPEN SOURCE!

I don't think Frontrow is opensource:

http://www.apple.com/opensource/

http://www.centerstageproject.com/index.php?id=112

Apple's FrontRow is currently only iMac only and can't be purchased or downloaded. But it does give us a kick in the butt and also lets us highlight the differences between CS and FrontRow. It's OpenSource, it supports more media formats, it's extendable, it's skinnable, it's built for a client/server model.

But as you noticed we haven't released any new version in a while, this is part due to that our lead developer been very busy with his business. This is also why it's important to attract new developers to the project. One of these new developers I've already introduced above. Aaron is working on a browser module (very cool) and as he was compiling the source code from the repository he found out there were basic working photo and music modules. These were planned for the next release (that will also include some other nice extras). The only wrong thing Aaron did was to release it as a semi-offical CenterStage release (4.5?), otherwise everybody is welcome to download and build the source code and do whatever they want with it. So we are actively inviting new programmers to join the project so that we can show the potential of CS, but to do that effectively we need more man power. Contact me (Conny) or Antoine if you're interested.

David is also going to work on a simpler UI that would be easier to implement and that we can build on going forward. He is also looking for new graphic designers and UI designers to join him in his work to create the best looking and functioning Media Center UI.

On the downside we have banned out first user from the forums. I never thought we would have to do that.

Stay tuned for an update on what's going to be in the next release and what the timeframe for it is.

Friday October 14, 2005 10:30 PM GMT

Posted by conny

corner image

Ok, so I was able to get QuartzExtreme to work on an older Intel Integrated Graphics machine, and no CoreImage. So, it appears that in order to get the main menu rotation stuff all you need is QuartzExtreme and not CoreImage. Now if Nvidia drivers could at least do that, I'd be a happy camper. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Damn...

FrontRow does NOT work on 10.4.3 native (=no userland upgrade, the real 10.4.3.)

QE and CI enabled but it does not start up. Does anyone knows if there is a fix /

upgrade available?

• 1 month later...

that's odd...i'm running it on my 10.4.3 native and it's working fine.

Still have to figure my way around...no QE or CI. But other than that it works...and movie trailers is a too cool feature of this app.

that's odd...i'm running it on my 10.4.3 native and it's working fine.

Still have to figure my way around...no QE or CI. But other than that it works...and movie trailers is a too cool feature of this app.

Greetings -- just wondering what instructions / files you used to accomplish this ? Just tried all the steps from:

http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive/2006/01/10/front-row/

Which worked perfectly with my Mac Mini running 10.4.3 and 10.4.4, but didn't do a thing on my osx86 install on my Dell D600, and has actually just broken three of my preference panes due to the patch BezelServices ! Would *definitely* love to get it to work in at least some fashion on the laptop, as it's just so damn cool -- thanks in advance !

are you using 10.4.3 or 10.4.1?

I didn't do anything peculiar or extraordinary to install frontrow..just downloaded the bundle, unzipped, and it ran out of the box. If you have 10.4.3 you are NOT supposed to apply the bezel services patch, so you may need to do some restoring from your install DVD.

Out of curiosity, which preference panes did you lose from loading this?

On a final note: the new Macbooks and iMacs have Frontrow, presumably a universal version exists? Not that I can fully utilize it right now, what with no QE and CI enabled on my Dell D610, still...it would be nice to make another universal addition to my laptop :(

I'm running 10.4.3 8F1111, natively installed. BezelServices is what's causing all the panels to break, but unfortunately I can't find the original copy on the DVD.. any chance you could email me the small 25k'ish unpatched copy of BezelServices from:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BezelServices.framework/Versions/A

I'm eman72 at gmail com.

So you used the Front Row installer from Apple and extracted Front Row from that using Pacifist ? Or did you get the Front Row app from elsewhere and copy it into Apps and CoreServices ? How did you get it to actually launch Front Row if there's no hotkey associated with it ?

Thanks..

Cool thinks, the little launcher script you attached launches frontrow, but frontrow crashes straight away. I've got three different versions I've downloaded over the last few months, but all do the same thing (installed in /System/Library/CoreServices). Front Row shows up in the dock, but then crashes straight away. Where's a place to grab a good copy ? And any chances someone can send me their original 10.4.3 BezelServices framework so I can get all my preference panes back? Or know how I can from the DVD, they weren't in the PrivateFrameworks folder on there.. thanks !

Cool thinks, the little launcher script you attached launches frontrow, but frontrow crashes straight away. I've got three different versions I've downloaded over the last few months, but all do the same thing (installed in /System/Library/CoreServices). Front Row shows up in the dock, but then crashes straight away. Where's a place to grab a good copy ? And any chances someone can send me their original 10.4.3 BezelServices framework so I can get all my preference panes back? Or know how I can from the DVD, they weren't in the PrivateFrameworks folder on there.. thanks !

OK, here is step-by-step howto:

1. Get the FrontRow[k] zip-archive here: [Violation of DMCA]

2. Unzip it.

3. Put FrontRow.app to "Applications" folder AND to "System/Lybrary/CoreServices" folder.

4. Repair permissions.

5. Restart.

6. Use the above attached script to launch FrontRaw again.

Should work for 10.4.3 8f1111(a/g).

Edited by other

Thank for the info Sudar. I have never gotten this thing to work from the begining. I'm a bit confused about the 1.01 update available. Do I apply that also or just use the files you uploaded?

Actually it's better not to apply any update in order to keep the x86-system files. At least untill we get Intell-compiled FrontRow.

As for PPC Macs - they can be updated without any problem. Even ofically not supported: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19947

Yes Sudar,

thanks from me, too. :)

I used to replace the bezel framework but that solution was really not good, because

after that, I did not had my prefPanes for Audio and Mouse setup anymore.

Now everything is working :)

I also managed, to start it with a mousebutton.

Yea, it work dandy for me as well Sudar. The only problem I have is my mouse disappearing and oh, the ugly script starter for Front Row on my dock. Someone please tell me how to change the icon without using CandyBar?

I'm running 10.4.3 8F1111, natively installed. BezelServices is what's causing all the panels to break, but unfortunately I can't find the original copy on the DVD.. any chance you could email me the small 25k'ish unpatched copy of BezelServices from:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BezelServices.framework/Versions/A

Did you get the file from someone? I also need it, if it will fix the broken system setting panels.

Edited by urig-herb

here ya go buddy!

On a side note...this did fix the broken preference panes, and frontrow still "works" sans the QE of course, but I have a problem where I can't control the audio through the speaker buttons on my laptop. And the little "press F12 to eject" doesn't work anymore either :pirate2:

Any ideas guys?

A.zip

here ya go buddy!

On a side note...this did fix the broken preference panes, and frontrow still "works" sans the QE of course, but I have a problem where I can't control the audio through the speaker buttons on my laptop. And the little "press F12 to eject" doesn't work anymore either :pirate2:

Any ideas guys?

Thank you! The panels do work again now. But I have the same problems with the "special" keys. I have an apple pro keyboard and the volume keys don't work. They worked for some time but I don't know when they stopped working.