Getting sound working (tried various methods)

20 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get my sound working on OS X x86, and am running into problems. I've tried to make it work using the Audio method but it didn't do much. According to Linux my device ID and vendor ID are 8086:2668 (but in windows it says 1:100). I tried the audio method and it didn't work at all for me. According to Windows I have the C-Media High Definition Audio Device (Which is actually an Intel integrated one, can't remember the number). The driver for it for Windows is this:

Driver Name C-Media 9880 Azalia audio driver

Version 5.12.01.0008

Release Date 2004/10/14

Update Description C-Media 9880 Azalia audio driver

I noticed OS X x86 has an AppleAzaliaAudio.kext but editing it lead to no results anyway, so any help would be nice.

Further information (from DXDIAG):

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: C-Media Rear Panel Audio

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_434D&DEV_4980&SUBSYS_98801019&REV_0900

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: cmudax.sys

Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0009 (English)

Driver Attributes: Final Debug

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

Date and Size: 6/20/2005 14:09:46, 1425152 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: C-Media Electronics Inc.

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0xF5F

Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 192000

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 17, 16

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 17, 16

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: No

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

I3DL2 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

Sensaura ZoomFX: Yes

Registry: OK

Sound Test Result: Not run

I had a similar problem to this. Check in your BIOS if is an onboard card. I had two options with my card. HD Audio or Azalea.

Might be worth a look. Sound now works for me <_< And yes the azalia drivers are for osx86

I had a similar problem to this. Check in your BIOS if is an onboard card. I had two options with my card. HD Audio or Azalea.

Might be worth a look. Sound now works for me :) And yes the azalia drivers are for osx86

I had the same options (except HD Audio was AC'97 Audio and modem o.O) and it also had the option of automatically selecting. I noticed in OS X for sound properties it said HD Audio for output.

So can you tell me what you did as it'd be quite useful as I am stumped.

EDIT: Also, what is my device and Vendor ID? The numbers reported in windows or linux?

This Line

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_434D&DEV_4980&SUBSYS_98801019&REV_0900

Has your Device ID and Vendor ID information.

VEN_434D --> the 434D is the hex value for the Vendor ID.

DEV_4980 --> the 4980 is the hex value for the Device ID.

This hex values are what you combine to use and find in the plist's in OSx86.

This line is what you are looking to find in the OSx86 plist files.

<key>0x4980434D</key>

This Line

Has your Device ID and Vendor ID information.

VEN_434D --> the 434D is the hex value for the Vendor ID.

DEV_4980 --> the 4980 is the hex value for the Device ID.

This hex values are what you combine to use and find in the plist's in OSx86.

This line is what you are looking to find in the OSx86 plist files.

<key>0x4980434D</key>

Thank you, but where should I put it since I have Azalia as my sound drivers?

well... at least with appleac97 drivers.. in the dict ichx sections it looks like this:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x70121039</string>

and putting your custom number in place of 0x70121039 as a string

maybe try adding that section to the azalia driver

Okay thanks, but it didn't work. I have a C-media 8738 6 channel chip on a VIA based board, so I also tried editing info.plist in AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext but that didn't work either. I can't find anywhere in my BIOS where I can change how the sound card works. Maybe I'll try adding a VIA 8738 line in the info.plist instead of just the 8237.

Edit: Well, after adding my VIA 8738 line and then loading the kext, the kernel panicked, and upon rebooting, the system hangs right when the blue screen starts. So I'll have to figure out how to get in and take out that line somehow.

Okay thanks, but it didn't work. I have a C-media 8738 6 channel chip on a VIA based board, so I also tried editing info.plist in AppleAC97AudioVIA.kext but that didn't work either. I can't find anywhere in my BIOS where I can change how the sound card works. Maybe I'll try adding a VIA 8738 line in the info.plist instead of just the 8237.

Edit: Well, after adding my VIA 8738 line and then loading the kext, the kernel panicked, and upon rebooting, the system hangs right when the blue screen starts. So I'll have to figure out how to get in and take out that line somehow.

Try going in in single user mode

-s
mount disk in write/read mode

nano Info.plist

Crtl+O
Ctrl+X

shutdown -r now

I did that, but now it still hangs when the boot window with the progress bar comes up. I swear I didn't edit anything else. I'll try removing the driver completely and see if that helps. I'm guessing that if it was adding the extra line for my sound card that caused the crash, I might be part way there, cuz maybe it crashed trying to access it.

Edit: {censored}, I deleted that but it still hangs. I guess I'll have to start all over because I don't know whats making it do that.

well heres my solution for the time being... the hcl part on osx86 project lists the sound blaster live! 24 bit external usb adapter as a working device.... i have an sis south bridge so i cant get sound working....

what im gonna do is just go out and buy that external usb device.... can anyone confirm that it works? if it doesnt work ill just return it (all hail frys return policy)

well... at least with appleac97 drivers.. in the dict ichx sections it looks like this:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x70121039</string>

and putting your custom number in place of 0x70121039 as a string

maybe try adding that section to the azalia driver

Did u get it to work like that? I tried entering the same thing ( i have same vender/device id) and nothing happened.