voodoo1/2

13 posts in this topic

i want to play Final Fantasy 7 again so i need to buy a second-hand voodoo1/2, but since i have to connect my 915g on-board graphics card to voodoo1/2 with a cable, then connect the voodoo card with the monitor, i'm not sure whether OSX can still run under this situation, and further more, what about all the features such as QE/CI/OGL?

How are you going to connect the onboard graphics to the voodoo? Afaik the old voodoo cards needed an internal cable to connect to a feature 'port' on the card.

They dont exist on newer cards, and I really dont think they exist on any onboard cards.

Before your time, young man :)

Before 3d acceleration was integrated into graphics cards, you had a separate 3d accelerator that passed its signals through the 2d graphics card.

Yeah, my parents still have a Diamond 4MB Voodoo in kombination with a 4MB S3 VGA Card running on a P2@266 Mhz (it's my old PC).

2 cards to get 8MB VGA RAM an a litlle bit 3D :)

Before your time, young man :)

Woah, I take that as an insult! :P

Anyways, Voodoo was the best producer of it's time (and their cards still actually compete with some of todays!)

so, did the Voodoo 4 (or even 5, not sure if they released a 5th) support this?

I mean that card was pretty crazy, but to have one working alongside integrated graphics would be insane.

Could someone clear this up?

*I've become hooked on this, lol...I want to learn a bit about it! :D

Before your time, young man :P

Before 3d acceleration was integrated into graphics cards, you had a separate 3d accelerator that passed its signals through the 2d graphics card.

i'll be very appreciated if you can try this.

btw: i had a voodoo card in the late 1990s, and gave it to a friend. :P

Ok I'll stick it in there & see what comes out as soon as I've sobered up..

I remember when 3d acceleration first arrived.. I was working with VRML (remember that?) & I had friends who worked in 3d studio, so we tried out vooodoo & the first s3 virge cards.. the acceleration for those purposes was so weak as to be pointless.. they probably made wolfenstein run smoother, but that was irrelevant in our production environments..

Anyhow.. I'll be back..