Is it possible to load OS x86 on to an external HD and run it from there?

Rogue2131

33 posts in this topic

Well, this seems like the most cost effective solution and this is what I'll be buying tomorrow

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1153997294349

Says it's compatible with Mac and PC and Western Digital is a brand I know and trust so it seems like a good deal to me.

Edit: Well they were sold out at my local Best Buy so now I have to wait for it to ship. Oh well, what's a few more days.

I have one of those with mac running on it.

USE external drive works for me too. And as I have vista installed on the internal drive, it's easy to add OSX into the boot menu in vista by using easyBCD. Now boot without the need to press F12 and just choose from boot menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello InsanelyMac World!

I am trying to boot Deadmoo from my Fujitsu FireLite USB drive. Currently use XP and Puppy Linux installed on NTFS on my IBM X40 laptop. I have been playing boot parameter bingo to try to get past a "bdevvp" kernel panic error to no avail. I would appreciate guidance in choosing my next steps:

1) get a usb drive that OSx86 likes and try again

2) image a new internal drive for the laptop and boot natively from it

3) try a different (or upgraded) image on the FireLite or

4) something else.

Thanks in advance!

Shrdlu

Hello

I have had the same problem that some of you guys have been having on this topic. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with SSE2 support on which i have Win XP and OS X 10.4.6 installed and working fine.

I also have a USB connected external hard drive on which i partitioned and installed the JaS and Semthex patched version of 10.4.8 with the 8.8.1 kernel. On bootup i hit F12 and modify the boot priority to boot from USB device - BUT when it boots it logs me back into XP??!!!!

I have Acronis Boot loader installed that is not able to recognize the 10.4.8 installation on the ext HD.

Does anyone know of any other tweak that will help??

Or is Acronis just not good for this particular case? Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Thank you

TheOrion

Hello

I have had the same problem that some of you guys have been having on this topic. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 with SSE2 support on which i have Win XP and OS X 10.4.6 installed and working fine.

I also have a USB connected external hard drive on which i partitioned and installed the JaS and Semthex patched version of 10.4.8 with the 8.8.1 kernel. On bootup i hit F12 and modify the boot priority to boot from USB device - BUT when it boots it logs me back into XP??!!!!

I have Acronis Boot loader installed that is not able to recognize the 10.4.8 installation on the ext HD.

Does anyone know of any other tweak that will help??

Or is Acronis just not good for this particular case? Any help on this will be much appreciated.

I know this will not be helpful, but I am posting this just to let you know I have the exact same problem. I installed the patched Jas 10.4.8 on my External USB HDD (onto my Acer Ferrari, SSE2 AMD 64 / ATIRadeon9700) without any difficulty, however the only way I can get it to boot is to physically swap it out with the INTERNAL drive in my laptop. It boots beautifully from there, and the only thing that doesn't seem to work natively is the ATI card, but I have been messing around with all the top-notch advice/drivers on this forum and almost having it working. Only problem is booting - I cant get my system to boot it from the EXT drive & I have triede every method I have seen written about here - chain0, changing the boot seq in the BIOS, Acronis etc and no method seems willing to ackowledge that the drive is even there. And yet when I boot into OS-X hooked up internally, it can see any external USB drive I throw at it.

I may simply have to get a bigger drive and put OS-X on a partition. I rather liked the idea of booting it from an external drive, but I am beginning to believe that it has nothing to with the software, but rather it is a HW issue (despite the fact that everything I have read about my system says it should be able to boot from USB).

Let us know if you figure it out. I certainly will do the same.

Cheers,

HooKs

HooKy, when I used the acronis bootloader to run macosx86, I had to first boot into windows with the usb drive plugged in, then restart (not shutdown), then mac os x was available to select from the acronis bootloader screen.

Not sure why, perhaps because the drive needed to spin up in windows so that it could be detected??