Is it possible to load OS x86 on to an external HD and run it from there?

Rogue2131

33 posts in this topic

press ESC to get in the boot menu when you startup, then choose the hard drive that where your OSX are installed. Make sure your hard drive is id=af or is not going to boot up.

Is the type of "ShagOS Swap" which is 0xAF, you have to create a primary partition type AF on your external hard drive using disk part. click start/run and type diskpart, it should pop up a window. Then follow the instrustion.

1. list disk

2. select diskX (X is your external HD letter)

3. Create partition primary id=af	
(NOTE: If you want to set the size instead of using the whole hard drive, use "create partition primary id=af size=enter the size here) 

4. exit

Get back to us if you get any luck :whistle:

Hi, yes this is possible. This is what I do myself, I use an external enclosure with USB. The first time though, I had to go into BIOS and set hard drive boot priority, and set my USB-HD to boot before any others. The OS X Installer also had no trouble installing to it.

NOTE: It highly depends on your motherboard, whether or not it allows for booting from USB. If it does, you are most likely going to have to look around in the BIOS to enable it.

Edited by tehnick

Most cases, going with an enclosure and an internal is the more cost effective approach, plus you can use it for other things... like using it for optical drives or just getting files off a hdd lying around. Just make sure you get a quality enclosure, to be on the safe side. I've had one die on me. If you add the price of an enclosure that you can trust to work properly, it may or may not be cheaper then just getting a regular external drive.

Well, this seems like the most cost effective solution and this is what I'll be buying tomorrow

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1153997294349

Says it's compatible with Mac and PC and Western Digital is a brand I know and trust so it seems like a good deal to me.

Edit: Well they were sold out at my local Best Buy so now I have to wait for it to ship. Oh well, what's a few more days.

Edited by Rogue2131

Yeah, I've been thinking about setting up osx86 on my sony vaio fe31h for a while now, and I thought it would be good to get it working from an external HDD.

Would I be right in saying that the osx86 jas dvd is pretty self explanatory if I install it on my usb hdd, if I partition it correctly?

What exactly do you have to do with the dvd? Boot it then select the USB HDD as hard disk?

I'd be interested in seeing how your installation goes Rogue2131, let us know how it goes.

I managed to install on an external usb drive, after some trouble with the display on my Dell Latitude D620. I can boot from it but gets kernelpanics and some other weired problems, so Iäve given p for now. But I can confirm that i was able to install and boot from an external usb drive.

Good news: Hard drive came today

Bad news: My Windows crashed and I had to reinstall. Still have my stuff but my programs need to be reinstalled. I might do OS X tomorrow to see if I wanna even bother getting my Windows back to how it was.

Ok, it seemed to install great and when I tried to boot it everthing was going ok but it didn't boot and ran into some trouble. I'll post what it said later on but it maybe slightly innacurate (I had to copy by hand)

I forgot to do what Matthew-N said so I'm thinking that may be where I went wrong. And now that my HD is formated as Mac Journaled (Or whatever it is) my Windows machine isn't picking it up (in My Computer, when I do the command prompt thing it still shows up so maybe I can still do what he was saying) or just reinstall. Well, when I post the full message maybe someone will have some help for me. Thae last line was (and this repeated)

Still waiting for root device

and if I get this running I'll make a tutorial, it won't be that good since I don't have much knowledge but it might help some people.

Edited by Rogue2131

I forgot to do what Matthew-N said so I'm thinking that may be where I went wrong. And now that my HD is formated as Mac Journaled (Or whatever it is) my Windows machine isn't picking it up (in My Computer, when I do the command prompt thing it still shows up so maybe I can still do what he was saying) or just reinstall. Well, when I post the full message maybe someone will have some help for me. Thae last line was (and this repeated)

Just to let you know.. In Windows, right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage". Click on Disk Management and you will be able to play with the partition there (if you want to kill it or whatever).

Hope that helps.

I just got a new Dell D620 today and installed JaS 10.4.6 on an external USB drive. I initially got Kernel Panics upon DVD boot, but was able to get around it by turning stuff off in the BIOS that is not absolutely needed (will have to look into what in particular prevented it from booting, but for now, the goal was to get the OS on the drive the get started - I even turned off Dual Core support, although I think it should work with that on).

I was able to install to the external drive and the OS is on that drive now, but I can't get it to boot from it although I set the USB drive as the first boot device before all others. When I boot, it just grabs Windows and ignores the external Mac drive.

Anyway, I'll dig into this some more and will post the results if successful, but would appreciate if anybody has any input that could save me some time.

:tomato:

hey guys, me and my friend finally got round to installing macosx86 using the latest JAS installer 10.4.8...

loads up fine from my usb hard drive using the acronis bootloader using this tutorial:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...l=boot+from+usb

only problem is the sound, wireless and graphics on my laptop dont work!! I have to connect the laptop to an external monitor to see anything which is a shame.

Booting from an external drive can be simplified, if using an "External SATA" enclosure. Shop4Tech.com has an Azio branded unit, which accepts SATA 3.5" hard drives. It can connect via either: a USB 2.0 cable (Windows only, OSX doesn't recognize the Azio drive), or an "external SATA" cable (OSX and Windows compatable). Includes the external SATA bracket.

As far as the operating system is concerned (whether OSX or Windows), there is no detectable difference between "External SATA" and regular internal SATA. And, there's no speed slowdown via external SATA.

Edited by richtig

Mac OS X (Hackintosh) working here on external HDD fast and stable.

Almost stable.. But normally working without any problems. Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T40 with Maxtor Mobile 2,5" 60GB HDD via USB High Speed. You just have to configure graphics and network card properly.