Error Loading OS

schale01

4 posts in this topic

Just loaded 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 kernal. Install finishes fine but I get an "Error loading OS" message when rebooted without the install DVD. Boots normally when DVD is in the Drive.

This is a fresh install I was having this problem when I tried upgrading earlier and figured I had screwed my Partition tables. So I wiped out all the partitions and started from scrach. I've had 10.4.6 installed on this system before with dual boot working. What am I missing???

Partition setup:

Partition 1 30GB NTFS (nothing loaded yet) Primary

Partition 2 30GB HFS+ (OSx86) Primary, Active

UNALLOCATED SPACE 90GB

System specs in sig.

That's weird to see, even when your not dual booting.

Try installing on your computer with only one partition, then partition it later after the OSX install.

I had this problem a year ago with Deadmoo, had to reinstall Windows XP (probably no what you'll have to do in your case).

Try using your 10.4.6 disc to do the partition job then install 10.4.8. Somhow the 10.4.8 disc doesn't do the partition job well.

I'll try that now and let you know how it goes. I figured the problem might be in the 10.4.8 DVD. Hopefully that's all there is to it.

EDIT:

No go! Tried up partition tables with 10.4.6 disc. Also tried "fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0" and "fdisk /MBR" thru MS-DOS.

OSX fdisk seems to mess up NTFS partitions on the same drive.

Any ideas??

Edited by schale01