NVidia fx5500 256MB FULLY WORKING!

Thico Alves

139 posts in this topic

waz up guys!!! GOOD NEWS FOR NVIDIA FX USERS!! I manage how to enable QE/CI with FX5500 256MB and so I made a little installer to make things easier. It may work on other FX'ses cards just by changing the device ID on kexts NVDAResman, GeForce and NVDANV30Hal. If you don't know how to change DeviceID, look at the forum or PM me. It's a very easy job. About the installer, uncompress all files on your MacOS partition root (directly on macos drive, inside any folder), open terminal and type:

sudo -s

(type your password - you will not see the caracters while you type for protection. Just type your password and press enter)

./install.sh

wait until the script do all the job and then reboot your computer! Now you should be abble to enjoy QE/CI with your FX card! :D

if something goes wrong, you can restore back to your original form. Just enter on single user mode (when macos starts booting, press F8 and then boot using "-s" parameter - without quotes)

when it finish booting, type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

./uninstall

thants right! HAVE FUN!

PS: I'm not responsible for any data loss or damage to your MacOS system. I made this installer without ANY GUARANTEE!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

NVidia1.zip

Edited by Thico Alves
  • Like 1

I get "Permission denied" while trying to install.

GeForce FX5200 128MB.

*EDIT*

Nevermind, but I'm reinstalling OSx86 now.

Rebooted and got "You need to restart your computer"... I can't find anyway to get QE/CI... :D

Edited by nylock10

that's what I want to know! I don't have a DVI monitor to test it... I need someone to test it for me. For those who have another GeForce FX cards that is not the FX5500 256MB, they must put the DeviceID on the kext that I mentioned. Don't forget that it will only work under 8.8.1 kernel and, obviously, macos 10.4.8!

nylock10: see if you have wrote sudo -s fallowed by your password. I don't know why you got permission denied... I will test it here again to see if I got the same problem.

Please post your results and specs here, specially those who worked.

Thanks!

sorry guys, it was really not working. But I found the problem and fixed that. Here is the new version tested and working 100%. Just copy the files from the 2 archives to your root and then open terminal and type:

sudo -s

(type your password)

cd /

./install.sh

just that, and it will work for sure!!

PS: I just got it working on FX5500 256MB that have the deviceID of 0x032610de. The other cards may work after changing the DeviceID on the kexts GeForce, NVDAResman and NVDANV30Hal. I want to try latter making an universal installer that can work on all FX (and maybe MX someday) cards. For all cards that worked, please put your spec and DeviceID.

thanks

NVidia1.zip

Edited by Thico Alves
  • Like 1

very nice..

i finally got something working on my end.. but only resolution (fx5200 here)

i'm going to try and replace titan with natit and see if i have better luck

thanks for this!

edit : so i replaced titan with natit, but i'm now getting the black screen issue if i have the tv out unplugged. osx appears to continue to load.. i'm wondering if the video is being routed to the DVI port (and i don't have a DVI monitor).

if i plug the TV in with my monitor also plugged in, i get the blue screen on the tv, and my monitor goes into sleep mode..

if i just have the TV connected, it boots fine, but still no QE/CI, however System Profiler recognizes that the TV is plugged in.

i'm using the 10.4.7 Jas INTERNAL release, with the beta9 updater and replaced exp6 semthex kernel.

Edited by shockme17

is better if you try using MacOS 10.4.8. Maybe that's the reason why you can't get QE/CI working. I didn't test my DVI or TV out yet, but on my single VGA is working perfectly. When you used titan, your card was detected as AGP or PCI on the System Profiler?!?

tokra128: You can't have QE/CI enabled on other MacOS versions than 10.4.8 even with the openglframework, so I don't think it's needed for now. The package can be too big if I put it inside too.

the last think I read was that semthex got 10 of the 13 SSE3 instructions emulated on SSE2 processors. Don't know how is going right now, but I think that he's about to finish a SSE2 kernel, if he already haven't released that.

Edited by Thico Alves

i am using 10.8.. the beta9 updater and replaced mach kernel exp6 is the latest 10.8 release by semthex.

hmmm...still didn't work with QE/CI!?? strange, it should work... What's your motherboard? Maybe can be some problem with AGPGart, it doesn't support many chipsets. Is your video card detected as AGP on System Profiler? Try just removing the AGPGart.kext from your extensions folder and see if it works

ok, i did that, and i get a mouse and partial black and blue border screen.. no finder or login window.. i then tried booting with -v, and it seems like none of the NV files are loading.

what command do i use after i boot into single user mode to move agppart.kext back to system/library/extensions from the root folder?

thanks..

and, any other suggestions?

Edited by shockme17

boot with -s on the boot options menu (I think you already know that, just confirming)

when it finish loading, type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

(if you putted AGPGart on the root, then)

cp -R /AGPGart.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

diskutil repairPermissions /

PS: don't forget to type "reboot" when everything finish to restart your computer

it should work. But you removed AGPGart when you was using natit or titan? Because you told me that after trying with my installer, you installed natit...

nice work thico!! i can confirm it works with my fx5200. though, 1152x864 is not an option. can i force that in boot.plist?

thanks!

and thanks to everyone who's made this possible!

10.4.8/8.8.1 amd test 1 dvd

fx5200 with qe/ci working.

abit kv8-max3 mobo all working. (haven't tried SATA yet)

cmedia sound card working.

lite-on sohw-1693s dvd-rw working.

canon IP6220D usb photoprinter working.

I really think that the problem is your patched kernel...It may can't load the kexts correctly! Did you manage how to run your MacOS again?!? I really want to see your boot log...maybe something is going wrong when loading Titan or NVDANV30Hal

gabeoravitz: Thanks to your contribution telling me that worked to you! Is really good to hear that worked for someone!!

Edited by Thico Alves

oh, I forgot to say about resolution. . .

Well, try booting first with "Graphics Mode" = "1152x864" (WITH quotes) on the boot options first to see if it works fine. Then add it to the boot.plist if you don't find any problems. Maybe it can be with your monitor!! It can be unrecognized by MacOS. Try with a diferent monitor and see if this resolution appear.

See ya