enlarge the image from 6gb to 160gb

sirking

13 posts in this topic

i used method 2a

(http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/RealNative#METHOD_2a:_Faster_.26_easier_.28windows_only.29)

to install jaguar. everything works fine but i have found out i am only using 6gb of my 160gb harddrive. how do i enlarge the drive so it is possible to access the rest of my 160gb harddrive?

do i have to reinstall jaguar, if so how do i install jaguar so i can use the whole space on the harddisk?

It was probably Tiger you installed.. not Jaguar :-)

I don't know of any tool to easily resize the partition but if you create new partitions at say 7gb to be sure you don't hit the 6gb at start you can create a second one.

The Disk Utility application in your utilties folder allows you change partitions. Not sure if you can do this without destroying everyhting.

Maybe using fdisk would be better. At least you know that when you add a new partition it doesnt delete the previous one... Diskutiliy.. dunno, I'll have to try when I get back to my pc.

In two words: Good luck :-)

sorry, it is tiger :D

i've tried using the "disk utility" but everything is greyed out, i can't do anything like create new partions/enlarge the one i already have.

do you mean windows fdisk can create new partitions? does it support apples filesystem???

To resize a partition you traditionally need a 'professional' program to handle it - it's not a simple process. I'm not sure if partition magic supports the filesystem (it probably does) - but go grab a copy of that and try it out.

To resize a partition you traditionally need a 'professional' program to handle it - it's not a simple process.  I'm not sure if partition magic supports the filesystem (it probably does) - but go grab a copy of that and try it out.

i've tried partitionmagic 8 but it doesn't support the filesystem :)

To create a new partition in the remaining free space, I would suggest using a Linux Live CD (I used Ubuntu) then fdisk /dev/hda

Enter ? to get options, "p" to print current partition table, add a new partition, primary, number 2, use all default values (it should use all the entire free space). You have to edit the partition id to set it to "af" (same id as your first partition generated from disk dump).

Back in Tiger you should be able to format the existing partition.

Hi, I just tried this in Ubuntu and i was able to make the partition, Thank you now i can fully use my Hard Drive. Make sure when you are doing this that you save the settings and actually make the partition, i think the letter is 'w'.

• 10 months later...

yes this will work but you can't install any apps like Final Cut Studio.

you can use this space to store things.

this is what i have done

i am not using VMware i don't know what that is. is it the image that was created with or the emulator.

sorry for the stupid question.

Hardware

P4 2.8Ghz (LGA775)

MOBO D865Gsa (mATX)

Onboard Video

1 GB ddr duel Channel PC3200

CDRW/DVD ROM

40gb of Maxtor IDE HDD

I have successfully image the drive.

extract tiger-x86-flat.img on to USB drive use dd command with live ubuntu cd to put image on to my primary (Maxtor 40gb IDE) drive.

Every thing works LAN, sound ( I get scratching sound after while when computer in screen saver mode or If I am not using for a while), video (1024 x 768 res.)

I tunes and DVD (idvd don’t work I get the error but vlc works) works fine

Now I only have 6gb of space.

So I use ubuntu live cd and create another partition using cfdisk and AF command.

Went in to my OSX and disk utilities and format that 2 partition now I have 2 drives with all the space.

But problem that I am having is I want to install Final cut studio and I don’t have much space because it want to install on the 1 drive (6gb) it will not install me on 2 drive.

How do I merge or expend the entire drive so I can install big apps.

I have done CCC on to another drive but it will not boot from it.

Please any idea would be help full.

I use OSX native one hard drive in the system and OSX install on it. Now windows no Linux.

Edit: I had problem before. When I was copying the image from USB to Maxtor with live cd and with the mother board that I have it did copy the image fine but it will not boot.

I had blinking cursor. So I had do that with different mobo and CPU

Hardware was AMD 64 3500+ (939) and mobo Asus A8V.

This will copy image on the Maxtor but not boot I get apple gray screen and few sec. later I get command line going across the screen and flickers it was doing it so fast I could not see the it properly but what I did see it was command line.

here is what you can do.

format your large drive as HFS+, give it a distinctive name, then open Disk Utility, and "Restore" your present 6 gig installation to your second large partition.

reboot, using F8, choose your new Partition. you will boot into the larger partition.

as long as you don't format the smaller partition and ruin the MBR. you should be good to go. and you will have an emergency OS on the 6gig to boot into when you screw up. B)

don't see why this wouldn't work.