Random audio cuts

panosru

22 posts in this topic

Issue synopsis

Hi, I have a (to me) serious issue that I haven't managed to resolve as of now. I built my Hackintosh in June and so far everything seems to be working great except for some random audio cuts especially when I switch between apps. The cut lasts approximately for a second or maybe less, but it is very noticeable. I don't remember to have it while I'm watching a movie without doing anything else and I also cannot tie it to a specific application or reproduce it on demand.

My build

The parts of my Hackintosh are listed here, the main components are:

• Intel i7 13700k
  • ASRock Z790 LiveMixer (BIOS v13.02)
  • 4x16GB DDR5 Kingston Renegate Silver 6000MT/s (Running at 3600MHz since all four slots are occupied)
  • 2x RX 6600 XT 8GB PowerColor Red Devil
  • Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen
  • WD Blue SN570 2TB M.2 (as main storage)

I'm currently sitting on macOS Sonoma v14.2.1 but those issues have been happening since Monterrey. I have uploaded my EFI here for anyone interested to see what I have done. I have changed any sensitive info like MLB, Serial etc.

My actions so far

• Quit any audio-enhancing software like SoundSource
  • Make sure USB mapping is properly configured (it is)
  • Try different USB ports and also active USB hub to make sure the Focusrite is getting enough power
  • Select another sound device (monitor speakers via Display Port)
  • Configure CPU topology and data provider (since the issue mostly happens when switching between apps)
  • Configure different XMP profiles or completely disable XMP (for the same reason mentioned above)
  • Boot into Windows (from a secondary SSD where I have Windows 11 installed), and the audio cuts were not happening at all.
  • Create a new user and remove all background apps.

So far I have been unable to find a solution to the issue. I have the impression that when I lowered the memory from 5600MT/s to 3600, the cuts were less, but since the issue is random I can't tell if that's the case. I have a feeling though that since it mostly happens when I switch to another app or if within that app I invoke a demanding task, it might be a CPU/RAM-related issue for the macOS only, since, as I mentioned, when on Windows it works fine.

Thank you all in advance!

Edited by panosru

That would make sense for why I’m randomly getting the cuts.

Could you let me know how you figure that out? I suppose cpu friend is to blame right? 

1 hour ago, panosru said:

That would make sense for why I’m randomly getting the cuts.

Could you let me know how you figure that out? I suppose cpu friend is to blame right? 

I never used cpu friend. For me Clover settings are enough for good CPU tuning.

• Like 1

Could you please send me a guide or something so that I could try and fix it? 

thanks!

Yes, I can read Russian! Thanks! That’s an awesome resource! Frankly speaking I prefer to keep OpenCore but I’ll read the PDF in regards to FSB, maybe I’ll get an idea on how to solve it in OC.

• Like 1

@Slice could you briefly explain how you managed to see that my FSB frequency is 10% higher? I removed the CPUFriend / CPUFriendDataProvider and CpuTopologyRebuild kext files since I have the feeling that they are not needed any more (after Monterey 12.3 and onwards). And from what I see, X86PlatformPlugin is present in IORegistryExplorer:

image.png.2550bbd7462ff30f1c814c50b6f6596f.png

Previously, (I guess before Monterey v12.3), X86PlatformPlugin wasn't visible without CPUFriend and CPUFriendDataProvider, so you had to have them if your system was wearing an unsupported CPU. By reading the PDF, as understand that Clover is taking a completely different approach, which is hard-seting FSB frequency (usually at 100MHz which for most CPUs is the norm, but, for my CPU, 13700K, the TDP is 125W), contrary, OC calculates it.

My CPU Geekbench scores are pretty much the same (within the accepted marginal error), so, basically, without having these kexts I'm not losing any performance. In terms of wattage (Power Management) and temps, I notice the same behaviour, which, I assume renders these kexts useless, no?

In "About This Mac" the processor is visible as "3,42 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W", which, I assume is cosmetic, therefore I'm fine with that. Sensei detects the CPU properly:

image.png.48965c095fdbc8d631b8b1f4543dbb2e.png

I'm gonna do some testing and see if that fixes the audio cuts (which I really hope it does because that issue has bothered me since I built this Hackintosh).

Edited by panosru

I encountered same audio behaviour when FSBFrequency calculated wrong. 100000 is not good value. By best result is 99720.

Let Clover automatically calculate it. 

I have removed CPUFriend / CPUFriendDataProvider and CpuTopologyRebuild kexts, I have to admit it improved the audio stability very much, but I already encountered a few times that the audio was cut for a split second (a couple of times when opening a new tab in Safari and another couple of times when installing a pkg). I tried to find a way to adjust the FSB frequency in OpenCore, but I couldn't. It seems that on that matter Clover is easier to control, but, I'm not willing to switch over to Clover since I used to have many issues with Clover (especially when upgrading the OS), and OC was rock solid since I switched to it.

If anyone knows a way to regulate the FSB frequency in OpenCore somehow, please share. Also, I'm not 100% sure that FSB frequency is completely at fault here since I don't know how to check the FSB frequency value that is calculated, so, any additional ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

After A LOT of testing, changing almost everything and trying to find the source of the problem, all I managed to get is that whenever the audio cuts I get this in the console:

default	01:44:20.118340+0200	kernel	USB Sound assertion (Output Fell Behind) in /AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/20d4c5fd-cff0-11ee-baf0-42ca679fa281/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/KEXT/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp at line 6743

default	01:44:20.118345+0200	kernel	USB Sound assertion (Resetting engine due to error returned in Read Handler) in /AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/20d4c5fd-cff0-11ee-baf0-42ca679fa281/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/KEXT/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp at line 6760

default	01:44:20.118349+0200	kernel	USB Sound assertion (Resetting engine due to error returned in Write Handler) in /AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/20d4c5fd-cff0-11ee-baf0-42ca679fa281/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/KEXT/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp at line 6768

I have added two logs, and I have tried many combinations. Connecting to USB2, to USB3, directly to MB, via a powered hub, nothing solves the problem. Windows do not produce any issues, but macOS does. I have also tried with a new user just in case, but I still have the same issue. My tests are done with three different USB audio interfaces, Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen, Behringer U-Phoria UM2 and Rodecaster Duo, all three experience the same issue.

The problem is that I cannot ignore it, it happens very often, like every few seconds, and is very annoying. I have tried to use the motherboard's built-in audio, but I'm getting a huge amount of noise from it, it is unusable. I have Corsair HXi Series HX1200i 1200W Full Modular 80 Plus Platinum as a PSU behind an APC Smart-UPS 2200 UPS. I do believe that I provide clean power to my machine, but you can never be sure with circuits and voltage, especially when that noise is coming out of build-in audio, any power interference may be coming from another device connected to the computer, but, that alone should not produce the USB Sound assertion issue.

I don't know what else to do or where to look. I'm uploading here my recent EFI just in case (I have also tried iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS, same result)... Also, I'm not sure if it's my idea, but yesterday it was bearable I got maybe 2 -3 cuts within the span of an hour, but with macOS v14.4 I'm getting 2 - 3 cuts within the span of 30 seconds... 

I have tried to use my audio sound bar that supports also Bluetooth directly with my computer. I thought that since there won't be any USB connection issues that would at least solve the problem. Well, nop (maybe due to signal interference)... I had also quite a few problems there! I'm attaching the logs as well... 

Maybe I should start looking for another motherboard?

audio cuts log.txt

audio cuts log 2.txt EFI.zip

audio cuts stuttering with bluetooth.txt

Edited by panosru
  • Sad 1

Clean install macOS did not help. Removing all the aml and patches and only applying 4 necessary aml files also did not help. Disabling XMP profile did not help as well... I think that I have to look for another motherboard, but, I'm not sure if that will help.

test this efi folder with no changes 

EFI panosru.zip

-Bios/UEFI in full default settings just set XMP
-Last Bios UEFI Version
-Delete old EFI folder and paste new. Don't use merge files
-Don't use Drag and Drop into EFI partition. Use Copy/Paste instead
-Reset NVRAM one time - with OpenCore use entry "Reset Nvram" / with Clover use F11 key on boot screen

Thank you @MaLd0n! I had to go out of the house to take some air because my blood pressure increased a lot and I already got a huge headache! All day I try to solve it. I’m almost certain that I have to start looking for another motherboard.

Once I’ll come home I will test your EFI, thanks! 

May I also ask, since you are much more experienced than me. Could you please make a clover EFI so I can try? I have zero experience with clover to make one myself but at that point I think it is worth the shot for trying out clover as well…

Again, thanks a lot! 

PS: For motherboard I feel disappointed with Asrock, I will have to explore other options that will support my memory sticks (DDR5), two GPU and a WiFi Bluetooth Broadcom m.2 Key E that I have… 

My blood pressure sometimes gets a little crazy too. I think it's my age.

Here

EFI panosru Clover.zip

EFI panosru OpenCore.zip

Let me know if work.

12 minutes ago, panosru said:

PS: For motherboard I feel disappointed with Asrock, I will have to explore other options that will support my memory sticks (DDR5), two GPU and a WiFi Bluetooth Broadcom m.2 Key E that I have… 

Im using only Gigabyte or Asus for that.

WPOv4wp.png

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@MaLd0n Unfortunately I have the same “USB Sound Assertion” error in both EFIs… I don’t think there is anything else left to try, I feel that I have to replace my motherboard. I’m not 100% sure though that it will resolve the issue since I have no clue where this issue is coming from. I mean, is it the motherboard? Is it the CPU? Is it the combination? I have read a ton of reports from other people who experienced this issue and it is like cancer, there’s no cure it seems. 

What do you think? I kind of feel that the issue is maybe in incompatibility in ASRock and macOS since I indeed tried almost everything (and literally everything to my knowledge). Do you believe that changing my motherboard has high possibility to eliminate the problem? I have created a thread for a mobo suggestion, but I lean towards ASUS Prime Z790-P. Is it possible that the Z790 chipset may be incompatible though?

Here is a list of related threads (in and outside of this forum).

There are other threads as well if you google search for "USB Sound assertion", and now that I made this small list, I also noticed that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM uses ASRock motherboard... It starts to look more like a pattern now. Now I kind of feel even more confident that the issue will be eliminated once I replace my motherboard, which, is great and awesome and very beautiful, but not for a Hackintosh user).

Thanks!

Edited by panosru

Posted (edited)

Well, I gambled and I lost... the audio cuts persists even by changing the motherboard... I moved the computer to the living room with only a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers for testing. It works fine, I now placed it back in its place, and the audio cuts are happening again.

I tested the system in my living room, and due to more space, I could move around more easily while rebuilding the computer. I tested it there for a couple of hours and it was working, then I moved it back to its room and immediately started getting the audio cuts again... 

I unplugged all my monitors except one (I have 6, I tried one by one). I even unplugged the UPS and changed the power cable, removed the Ethernet cable, the only thing that was left to test was the electric plug... 

I think that it does not produce audio cuts when I have one monitor connected, but once I connect a second monitor to either GPU it starts to throw "USB Sound assertion" and, therefore produces audio cuts. I'll have to investigate more but so far this is the only thing that I can notice.

And I bent by accident the pins of my previous Asrock motherboard so I cannot use it 😢

UPDATE:

I think my system can't handle two GPUs, once I remove one of the two GPUs, I'm not getting any audio cuts... maybe the lanes bandwidth is not enough? I still have to give it some time to make sure for marginal error.

Edited by panosru
  • Like 1

Updating… 

At that point I mostly write as a log so other people who stumble on the same issue might find helpful the information posted here. So, after testing with one GPU only, I still got the same problem.

I changed the power plug where I connect my computer and tested each monitor individually, I also removed two of my RAM modules and tested different channels. 

as I said, under windows everything works perfectly fine. Only under macOS I'm getting audio cuts. I know that isn't not a hardware defection but I'm trying to find out with what exactly macOS isn't happy about. Also, I noticed that since v14.4 the problem occurred every few seconds while before that it was occurring every hour or so.

At that point the only thing that I did not swap is the CPU, the PSU and the RAM, everything else is changed for testing.

I returned the ASUS motherboard since my ASRock is superior and since the ASUS did not resolve the problem but instead introduced another problem, I prefer to keep the ASRock. I'm waiting to get it from the repair shop because I {censored}ed up the socket pins (100 euros down the drain).

I am not sure how else I should tackle the problem. I will upload my DSDT output here from SSDTTime once I'll get back my board, maybe something is related to that. 

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Update 2...

So, I returned the ASUS motherboard that I got and ended up getting the ASRock Z790 Nova WiFi which is much better than the Livemixer I had and the ASUS I recently got. The good part is that the RAM sticks (all 4 of them) are now working on 6000MT/s while in the previous two they were vary between 3600 and 4000 MT/s. I also replaced the built-in Intel WiFi 7 and BT 5.4 M.2 Key E card for a native Broadcom (which is much worse in terms of performance but is native...) and both my WiFi and BT are working out of the box. I also made some changes to my EFI (attached here for reference - use Keka to extract), and so far I haven't got any audio cut. I can't yet say that the problem is solved since it is a very rare problem that comes and goes as it pleases, so I won't be surprised if it happens again, but at least I hope that if it happens again, it won't be on a short interval.

EDIT:

As I said, the issue most likely won't go completely away, but at least now is happening not that often.

default	13:51:02.743752+0200	kernel	USB Sound assertion (Resetting engine due to error returned in Read Handler) in /AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/20d4c5fd-cff0-11ee-baf0-42ca679fa281/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/KEXT/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp at line 6760
default	13:51:13.160639+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "issue_detected_sample_time" = "442580.000000";
    node = "usb -Output";
    peak = "-17.485003";
    "report_type" = RMS;
    rms = "-33.973305";
    "rtaid_client" = HAL;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	13:51:13.160741+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "issue_detected_sample_time" = "442580.000000";
    node = "usb -Output";
    peak = "-17.485003";
    "report_type" = RMS;
    rms = "-33.973305";
    "rtaid_client" = HAL;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	13:51:13.160795+0200	coreaudiod	IssueReporting.cpp:491   RTAID [ use_case=Generic report_type=RMS Generic Chain clientID=HAL node=usb -Output issue_detected_sample_time=442580.000000 ] -- [ rms:[-33.973305], peaks:[-17.485003] ]
default	13:51:23.157191+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "issue_detected_sample_time" = "883412.000000";
    node = "usb -Output";
    peak = "-17.555807";
    "report_type" = RMS;
    rms = "-34.241180";
    "rtaid_client" = HAL;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	13:51:23.157377+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "issue_detected_sample_time" = "883412.000000";
    node = "usb -Output";
    peak = "-17.555807";
    "report_type" = RMS;
    rms = "-34.241180";
    "rtaid_client" = HAL;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	13:51:23.157468+0200	coreaudiod	IssueReporting.cpp:491   RTAID [ use_case=Generic report_type=RMS Generic Chain clientID=HAL node=usb -Output issue_detected_sample_time=883412.000000 ] -- [ rms:[-34.241180], peaks:[-17.555807] ]
default	13:51:31.291316+0200	coreaudiod	[0x7fd0d3a32b20] activating connection: mach=true listener=false peer=false name=com.apple.tccd.system
default	13:51:31.313458+0200	coreaudiod	[0x7fd0d3a32b20] invalidated after the last release of the connection object
error	13:51:31.313483+0200	coreaudiod	       HALS_IOContext.cpp:1423   Client is not granted access to the <private>.
default	13:51:31.346136+0200	coreaudiod	HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl.cpp:1341   HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl::IOWorkLoopInit: 1143 AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2 (AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2): starting
default	13:51:31.346312+0200	coreaudiod	  HALB_PowerAssertion.cpp:115    HALB_PowerAssertion::Take: taking power assertion ID 37243 of type 'PreventUserIdleSystemSleep' with name: 'com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep' on behalf of 5198
default	13:51:31.346358+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:431   Created reporter { careporter_id=1851130904701 }
default	13:51:31.346398+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:500   Adding reporter to client { careporter_id=1851130904701 }
default	13:51:31.346422+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:758   Set servicetype { careporter_id=1851130904701, serviceType="audiodeviceusage" }
default	13:51:31.346438+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:789   Setting new serviceType { careporter_id=1851130904701, servicename="audiodeviceusage", servicetype=9 }
default	13:51:31.346544+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:613   Starting { careporter_id=1851130904701 }
default	13:51:31.346654+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    clientAction = start;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	13:51:31.347773+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "device_is_aggregate" = 0;
    "duration_us" = 608;
    "hal_chat_flavor" = default;
    "input_avail_phys_formats" = "{ [24/192000/2 lpcm], [24/176400/2 lpcm], [24/96000/2 lpcm], [24/88200/2 lpcm], [24/48000/2 lpcm], [24/44100/2 lpcm], [24/192000/2 lpcm], [24/176400/2 lpcm], [24/96000/2 lpcm], [24/88200/2 lpcm], [24/48000/2 lpcm], [24/44100/2 lpcm] }";
    "input_avail_virt_formats" = "{ [32/192000/2 lpcm], [32/176400/2 lpcm], [32/96000/2 lpcm], [32/88200/2 lpcm], [32/48000/2 lpcm], [32/44100/2 lpcm], [24/192000/2 lpcm], [24/176400/2 lpcm], [24/96000/2 lpcm], [24/88200/2 lpcm], [24/48000/2 lpcm], [24/44100/2 lpcm] }";
    "input_bits_per_channel" = 32;
    "input_bytes_per_frame" = 8;
    "input_bytes_per_packet" = 8;
    "input_channels_per_frame" = 2;
    "input_device_latency_list" = 45;
    "input_device_source_list" = Unknown;
    "input_device_start_duration_us_list" = 4;
    "input_device_transport_list" = USB;
    "input_device_uid_list" = "AppleUSBAudi", reporters="<decode: missing data>" }
default	13:51:31.477813+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:658   Stopping { careporter_id=1851130904701 }
default	13:51:31.477849+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    clientAction = stop;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	13:51:31.477936+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "session_duration" = "0.1313439607620239";
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	13:51:31.477999+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:519   Removing reporter from client and server { careporter_id=1851130904701 }
error	13:51:31.478030+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:532   Attempted to remove a reporter not created by this client { careporter_id=1851130904701 }
default	13:51:31.478229+0200	coreaudiod	HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl.cpp:1644   IO Stopped Context 1143 after 6144 frames.
default	20:59:54.144260+0200	coreaudiod	 HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:624    <private>, index: 40, start: 1238191526745, duration: 351, fault address: 264739000, fault pc: 7FF81867086C, faulting TID: 14ED8, fault type: 4, PID: 1B0, Path: <private>
default	20:59:54.144268+0200	coreaudiod	 HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:624    <private>, index: 41, start: 1238191570627, duration: 757, fault address: 26472C000, fault pc: 7FF81867086C, faulting TID: 14ED8, fault type: 4, PID: 1B0, Path: <private>
default	20:59:54.144285+0200	coreaudiod	 HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:775    lastStackshotStart: 367875102570, lastStackshotEnd: 367875315023, numStackshotsTaken: 5, sumOfTakenStackshots: 875741
default	20:59:54.145498+0200	coreaudiod	 HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:192    Audio IO Overload thread: 12cf6 inputs: '<private>' outputs: '<private>' cause: '<private>' prewarming: no recovering: no
default	20:59:54.145643+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "HAL_client_IO_duration" = 77415;
    HostApplicationDisplayID = "com.apple.Music";
    "anchor_sample_time" = 635;
    cause = PageFaultsOnIOThread;
    "cause_set" = 1;
    deadline = 8682107;
    "input_device_uid_list" = "AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:1,2";
    "io_buffer_size" = 512;
    "io_cycle" = 16954;
    "io_cycle_budget" = 23242615;
    "io_cycle_usage" = 1;
    "io_frame_counter" = 16954;
    "io_page_faults" = 1;
    "io_page_faults_duration" = 500675;
    "is_prewarming" = 0;
    "is_recovering" = 0;
    "issue_type" = overload;
    lateness = "-997";
    "multi_cycle_io_page_faults" = 0;
    "multi_cycle_io_page_faults_duration" = 0;
    "num_continuous_nonzero_io_cycles" = 4304;
    "num_continuous_silent_io_cycles" = 0;
    "other_active_clients" = "[  ]";
    "other_page_faults" = 0;
    "output_device_source_list" = Unknown;
    "output_devic", reporters="<decode: missing data>" }
default	20:59:54.145880+0200	powerd	Process coreaudiod.432 Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "com.apple.audio.context621.preventuseridlesleep" age:00:03:17  id:4295006152 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser BGTask kDisp]
default	20:59:54.147849+0200	coreaudiod	  HALC_ProxyIOContext.cpp:3057   HALC_IOContext_ResumeIO(186)
default	20:59:54.147891+0200	coreaudiod	  HALC_ProxyIOContext.cpp:1002   HALC_ProxyIOContext::ResumeIO: -> 0 1 1 id:186 called from <private>
default	20:59:54.147655+0200	powerd	Process coreaudiod.432 Released PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep "com.apple.audio.context621.preventuseridledisplaysleep" age:00:03:17  id:21474875337 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser BGTask kDisp]
default	20:59:54.147907+0200	coreaudiod	  HALC_ProxyIOContext.cpp:1019   HALC_ProxyIOContext::ResumeIO: <- 0 0 0 id:186 called from <private>
default	20:59:54.149663+0200	coreaudiod	HALS_DefaultDeviceManager.cpp:1697   HALS_DefaultDeviceManager::FindPreferredDefaultDevice: 'dIn ' | found preferred[1] 43: 'AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2'/''
default	20:59:54.150192+0200	coreaudiod	HALS_DefaultDeviceManager.cpp:1697   HALS_DefaultDeviceManager::FindPreferredDefaultDevice: 'dOut' | found preferred[0] 43: 'AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2'/''
default	20:59:54.150463+0200	coreaudiod	HALS_DefaultDeviceManager.cpp:1697   HALS_DefaultDeviceManager::FindPreferredDefaultDevice: 'sOut' | found preferred[1] 43: 'AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2'/''
default	20:59:54.150707+0200	coreaudiod	HALS_DefaultDeviceManager.cpp:1697   HALS_DefaultDeviceManager::FindPreferredDefaultDevice: 'shrd' | found preferred[0] 43: 'AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2'/''
default	20:59:54.153042+0200	coreaudiod	HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl.cpp:1341   HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl::IOWorkLoopInit: 625 AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2 (AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2): starting
default	20:59:54.154086+0200	coreaudiod	  HALB_PowerAssertion.cpp:115    HALB_PowerAssertion::Take: taking power assertion ID 38686 of type 'PreventUserIdleSystemSleep' with name: 'com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep' on behalf of 818
default	20:59:54.154509+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:431   Created reporter { careporter_id=1855425871896 }
default	20:59:54.154556+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:500   Adding reporter to client { careporter_id=1855425871896 }
default	20:59:54.154580+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:758   Set servicetype { careporter_id=1855425871896, serviceType="audiodeviceusage" }
default	20:59:54.154597+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:789   Setting new serviceType { careporter_id=1855425871896, servicename="audiodeviceusage", servicetype=9 }
default	20:59:54.154700+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:613   Starting { careporter_id=1855425871896 }
default	20:59:54.154854+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    clientAction = start;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	20:59:54.161925+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "duration_us" = 7418;
    "input_avail_phys_formats" = "{ [24/192000/2 lpcm], [24/176400/2 lpcm], [24/96000/2 lpcm], [24/88200/2 lpcm], [24/48000/2 lpcm], [24/44100/2 lpcm], [24/192000/2 lpcm], [24/176400/2 lpcm], [24/96000/2 lpcm], [24/88200/2 lpcm], [24/48000/2 lpcm], [24/44100/2 lpcm] }";
    "input_avail_virt_formats" = "{ [32/192000/2 lpcm], [32/176400/2 lpcm], [32/96000/2 lpcm], [32/88200/2 lpcm], [32/48000/2 lpcm], [32/44100/2 lpcm], [24/192000/2 lpcm], [24/176400/2 lpcm], [24/96000/2 lpcm], [24/88200/2 lpcm], [24/48000/2 lpcm], [24/44100/2 lpcm] }";
    "input_device_start_duration_us_list" = 5356;
    "input_device_uid_list" = "AppleUSB", reporters="<decode: missing data>" }
default	20:59:54.285410+0200	kernel	USB Sound assertion (Output Fell Behind) in /AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/20d4c5fd-cff0-11ee-baf0-42ca679fa281/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/KEXT/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp at line 6743
default	20:59:54.285418+0200	kernel	USB Sound assertion (Resetting engine due to error returned in Read Handler) in /AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/20d4c5fd-cff0-11ee-baf0-42ca679fa281/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/KEXT/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp at line 6760
default	20:59:54.285420+0200	kernel	USB Sound assertion (Resetting engine due to error returned in Write Handler) in /AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/20d4c5fd-cff0-11ee-baf0-42ca679fa281/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/KEXT/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp at line 6768
default	21:00:04.703166+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "issue_detected_sample_time" = "442624.000000";
    node = "usb -Output";
    peak = "-23.507280";
    "report_type" = RMS;
    rms = "-38.119541";
    "rtaid_client" = HAL;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	21:00:04.703228+0200	coreaudiod	IssueReporting.cpp:491   RTAID [ use_case=Generic report_type=RMS Generic Chain clientID=HAL node=usb -Output issue_detected_sample_time=442624.000000 ] -- [ rms:[-38.119541], peaks:[-23.507280] ]
default	21:00:14.699527+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "issue_detected_sample_time" = "883456.000000";
    node = "usb -Output";
    peak = "-18.635338";
    "report_type" = RMS;
    rms = "-33.917683";
    "rtaid_client" = HAL;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	21:00:14.699600+0200	coreaudiod	IssueReporting.cpp:491   RTAID [ use_case=Generic report_type=RMS Generic Chain clientID=HAL node=usb -Output issue_detected_sample_time=883456.000000 ] -- [ rms:[-33.917683], peaks:[-18.635338] ]
default	21:00:22.710341+0200	coreaudiod	[0x7f7c668cd800] activating connection: mach=true listener=false peer=false name=com.apple.tccd.system
default	21:00:22.732546+0200	coreaudiod	[0x7f7c668cd800] invalidated after the last release of the connection object
error	21:00:22.732562+0200	coreaudiod	       HALS_IOContext.cpp:1423   Client is not granted access to the <private>.
default	21:00:22.761709+0200	coreaudiod	HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl.cpp:1341   HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl::IOWorkLoopInit: 1390 AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2 (AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2): starting
default	21:00:22.761905+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:431   Created reporter { careporter_id=1855425871897 }
default	21:00:22.761907+0200	coreaudiod	  HALB_PowerAssertion.cpp:115    HALB_PowerAssertion::Take: taking power assertion ID 38602 of type 'PreventUserIdleSystemSleep' with name: 'com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep' on behalf of 5998
default	21:00:22.761951+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:500   Adding reporter to client { careporter_id=1855425871897 }
default	21:00:22.761977+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:758   Set servicetype { careporter_id=1855425871897, serviceType="audiodeviceusage" }
default	21:00:22.762022+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:789   Setting new serviceType { careporter_id=1855425871897, servicename="audiodeviceusage", servicetype=9 }
default	21:00:22.762201+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:613   Starting { careporter_id=1855425871897 }
default	21:00:22.762394+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    clientAction = start;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	21:00:22.764348+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "duration_us" = 763;
    "input_device_start_duration_us_list" = 4;
    "input_device_uid_list" = "AppleUSBAudi", reporters="<decode: missing data>" }
default	21:00:22.894047+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:658   Stopping { careporter_id=1855425871897 }
default	21:00:22.894083+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    clientAction = stop;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	21:00:22.894161+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "session_duration" = "0.1318401098251343";
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	21:00:22.894217+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:519   Removing reporter from client and server { careporter_id=1855425871897 }
error	21:00:22.894248+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:532   Attempted to remove a reporter not created by this client { careporter_id=1855425871897 }
default	21:00:22.894356+0200	coreaudiod	HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl.cpp:1644   IO Stopped Context 1390 after 6144 frames.
default	21:00:22.894483+0200	coreaudiod	HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl.cpp:1668   HALS_IOContext_Legacy_Impl::IOWorkLoopDeinit: 1390 AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2 (AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2): stopping with error 0
default	21:00:22.894520+0200	coreaudiod	  HALB_PowerAssertion.cpp:153    HALB_PowerAssertion::Release: releasing power assertion ID 38602 of type 'PreventUserIdleSystemSleep' with name: 'com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep' on behalf of 5998 taken at <private> for 0.132610 seconds
default	21:00:24.568268+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:702   Sending message { message="{
    "issue_detected_sample_time" = "1318656.000000";
    node = "usb -Output";
    peak = "-18.919073";
    "report_type" = RMS;
    rms = "-33.695766";
    "rtaid_client" = HAL;
}", reporters="(
)" }
default	21:00:24.568568+0200	coreaudiod	IssueReporting.cpp:491   RTAID [ use_case=Generic report_type=RMS Generic Chain clientID=HAL node=usb -Output issue_detected_sample_time=1318656.000000 ] -- [ rms:[-33.695766], peaks:[-18.919073] ]

I now have a feeling that the issue is more related to software rather than hardware. Maybe the USB mapping kext is to blame, I'm not sure.

EFI.7z

Edited by panosru

Posted (edited)

I noticed in the console that right when the audio cuts before the USB Sound assertion error, I'm getting the following:

default	21:02:27.363535+0200	powerd	Process coreaudiod.432 Released PreventUserIdleSystemSleep "com.apple.audio.context621.preventuseridlesleep" age:00:02:33  id:4295006206 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser BGTask kDisp]
default	21:02:27.364902+0200	powerd	Process coreaudiod.432 Released PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep "com.apple.audio.context621.preventuseridledisplaysleep" age:00:02:33  id:21474875391 [System: PrevIdle DeclUser BGTask kDisp]

pmset -g assertionslog returns this:

2024-03-16 21:05:10 +0200 : Showing all currently held IOKit power assertions
Assertion status system-wide:
   BackgroundTask                 1
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   UserIsActive                   1
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     1
   NetworkClientActive            0
Listed by owning process:
   pid 719(sharingd): [0x0000050800019809] 00:04:40 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Handoff"
   pid 737(mdsync): [0x00000044000b85cd] 00:25:00 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.scan"
   pid 794(useractivityd): [0x0000061d00019848] 00:00:03 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "BTLEAdvertisement.77233FE3-B367-4E1E-A871-1806A74B8BC7"
	Timeout will fire in 57 secs Action=TimeoutActionTurnOff
   pid 495(mds_stores): [0x00000620000b984a] 00:00:00 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power"
   pid 279(bluetoothd): [0x0000061300019845] 00:00:12 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.BTStack"
   pid 279(bluetoothd): [0x0000001c0009814b] 00:25:40 UserIsActive named: "Bluetooth Incoming Connection Request"
	Timeout will fire in 1159 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
   pid 457(backupd): [0x0000016000019059] 00:20:15 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Backup Job"
   pid 289(WindowServer): [0x00000040000984fa] 00:00:00 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle serviceID:1000008bf service:AppleUserHIDEventService product:Das Keyboard eventType:3"
	Timeout will fire in 2700 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
   pid 432(coreaudiod): [0x000005f80001971e] 00:00:40 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep"
	Created for PID: 818.
	Resources: audio-out AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2
   pid 818(Music): [0x0000030f0001971c] 00:13:04 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "com.apple.Music.playback"
   pid 541(backupd-helper): [0x0000013f00019049] 00:20:49 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Mutexed Backup Block"
Kernel Assertions: 0x10c=USB,BT-HID,MAGICWAKE
   id=500  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:43 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.00200000 owner=USB3.0 Hub
   id=501  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:44 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14600000 owner=USB2.0 Hub
   id=506  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:47 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.00400000 owner=USB2.0 Hub
   id=507  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:47 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14500000 owner=ASM107x
   id=510  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:48 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14100000 owner=MuteSync Button
   id=511  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:49 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14620000 owner=Flash Card Reader/Writer
   id=512  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:50 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14300000 owner=Scarlett Solo USB
   id=513  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:50 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14e00000 owner=4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
   id=515  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:51 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14f00000 owner=ASM107x
   id=517  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:52 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14610000 owner=Smart-UPS 2200 FW:COM 02.1 / UPS.05.I
   id=518  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:53 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14900000 owner=4-Port USB 2.0 Hub
   id=519  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:53 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.00440000 owner=Das Keyboard
   id=521  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:54 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14e10000 owner=4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
   id=523  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:39 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14e20000 owner=Cam Link 4K
   id=525  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:40 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14930000 owner=USB Gaming Mouse
   id=526  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:41 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14910000 owner=4-Port USB 2.0 Hub
   id=528  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:44 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14911000 owner=Stream Deck XL
   id=529  level=255 0x4=USB creat=16/3/24, 20:45 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.14914000 owner=Intuos PTM
   id=530  level=255 0x100=MAGICWAKE creat=16/3/24, 20:53 description=en0 owner=en0
   id=532  level=255 0x100=MAGICWAKE creat=16/3/24, 20:40 description=en1 owner=en1
   id=533  level=255 0x8=BT-HID creat=16/3/24, 20:46 description=com.apple.driver.IOBluetoothHIDDriver owner=AppleHSBluetoothDevice
Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler

Showing assertion changes(Press Ctrl-T to log all currently held assertions):
Time             Action      Age       Type                          PID(Causing PID)    ID                  Name
====             ======      ========  ====                          ================    ==                  ====
03/16 21:09:10   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x70f0001988e       NWIOConnection 0x7f8301f6cdc8
03/16 21:09:10   Released    00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x70f0001988e       NWIOConnection 0x7f8301f6cdc8
03/16 21:09:10   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x70f0001988f       NSURLSessionTask 2684C844-2A22-401D-A814-5444D9CCCC61
03/16 21:09:10   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x70f00019890       NSURLSessionTask CDB71A06-8B76-44AE-B470-F61C3C49EB1C
03/16 21:09:13   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x70f0001988f       NSURLSessionTask 2684C844-2A22-401D-A814-5444D9CCCC61
03/16 21:09:13   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x70f00019890       NSURLSessionTask CDB71A06-8B76-44AE-B470-F61C3C49EB1C
03/16 21:09:16   Created     00:00:00  BackgroundTask                495                 0x715000b9891       com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power
03/16 21:09:17   Released    00:00:01  BackgroundTask                495                 0x715000b9891       com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power
03/16 21:09:17   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    700                 0x71600019892       NWIOConnection 0x7fa5bcd0eeb8
03/16 21:09:17   Released    00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    700                 0x71600019892       NWIOConnection 0x7fa5bcd0eeb8
03/16 21:09:17   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    700                 0x71600019893       NSURLSessionTask D28341F5-7096-4875-A59F-72E9EF4046AB
03/16 21:09:17   Created     00:00:00  InteractivePushServiceTask    258                 0x71700129894       port=com.apple.bird.push-user=501-env=production
03/16 21:09:17   System wide status: InteractivePushServiceTask: 1
03/16 21:09:17   Created     00:00:00  InteractivePushServiceTask    258                 0x71700129895       com.apple.apsd-lastpowerassertionlinger
03/16 21:09:17   Released    00:00:00  InteractivePushServiceTask    258                 0x71700129894       port=com.apple.bird.push-user=501-env=production
03/16 21:09:17   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    700                 0x71700019896       NSURLSessionTask CA30DB22-B047-430A-9CB0-D9C7C7C14FF4
03/16 21:09:17   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x71700019897       NWIOConnection 0x7f83045196e8
03/16 21:09:17   Released    00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x71700019897       NWIOConnection 0x7f83045196e8
03/16 21:09:17   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x71700019898       NSURLSessionTask C7456114-1D4A-4078-8FD4-282C538B173F
03/16 21:09:18   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x71700019899       NWIOConnection 0x7f8304541108
03/16 21:09:18   Released    00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x71700019899       NWIOConnection 0x7f8304541108
03/16 21:09:18   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x7170001989a       NSURLSessionTask 0773BAA9-FD3F-48A1-875E-49B01EC63AA3
03/16 21:09:18   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x7180001989b       NSURLSessionTask D057275C-5C72-43EF-8261-87099C51644B
03/16 21:09:18   Released    00:00:01  InteractivePushServiceTask    258                 0x71700129895       com.apple.apsd-lastpowerassertionlinger
03/16 21:09:19   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    700                 0x7180001989c       NSURLSessionTask 8B0B0781-3D27-4019-8DE9-05DDF7585E77
03/16 21:09:19   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x7190001989d       NSURLSessionTask F59DA74A-4E76-4C54-BDDE-375EF562312A
03/16 21:09:19   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    700                 0x7190001989e       NSURLSessionTask 6C15DC28-AEDA-42CE-AA1C-CDE66B84FA2D
03/16 21:09:20   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x7190001989f       NSURLSessionTask 1335E2CD-EAC1-48A4-B2B4-BF1EFDFD06E6
03/16 21:09:20   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x719000198a0       NSURLSessionTask 04B9F8EE-A5FD-4A03-9EAF-A3A51CD1954D
03/16 21:09:20   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x719000198a1       NSURLSessionTask 20492945-A336-4632-A4AE-A6DAFFC5C485
03/16 21:09:20   TurnedOn    00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    432(5998)           0x719000196ca       com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep
03/16 21:09:20   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x719000198a2       NSURLSessionTask 0E38C115-9C6C-44D4-977D-25AB02663EAE
03/16 21:09:20   TurnedOff   00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    432(5998)           0x719000196ca       com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep
03/16 21:09:20   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x71a000198a3       NSURLSessionTask 34606CC8-84ED-4AFB-A4B5-4EAB41152954
03/16 21:09:20   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    700                 0x71600019893       NSURLSessionTask D28341F5-7096-4875-A59F-72E9EF4046AB
03/16 21:09:20   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x71a000198a4       NSURLSessionTask 515D8D99-EC5D-48AE-AA4B-95B1B28AC8AA
03/16 21:09:21   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    700                 0x71700019896       NSURLSessionTask CA30DB22-B047-430A-9CB0-D9C7C7C14FF4
03/16 21:09:21   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x71700019898       NSURLSessionTask C7456114-1D4A-4078-8FD4-282C538B173F
03/16 21:09:21   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x7170001989a       NSURLSessionTask 0773BAA9-FD3F-48A1-875E-49B01EC63AA3
03/16 21:09:21   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x7180001989b       NSURLSessionTask D057275C-5C72-43EF-8261-87099C51644B
03/16 21:09:22   TurnedOff   00:04:52  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    432(818)            0x5f80001971e       com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep
03/16 21:09:22   Released    00:04:52  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    432(814)            0x5f80001983b       com.apple.audio.context621.preventuseridlesleep
03/16 21:09:22   Released    00:04:52  PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep   432(814)            0x5f80005983c       com.apple.audio.context621.preventuseridledisplaysleep
03/16 21:09:22   TurnedOn    00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    432(818)            0x71c0001971e       com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep
03/16 21:09:22   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    700                 0x7180001989c       NSURLSessionTask 8B0B0781-3D27-4019-8DE9-05DDF7585E77
03/16 21:09:23   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x7190001989f       NSURLSessionTask 1335E2CD-EAC1-48A4-B2B4-BF1EFDFD06E6
03/16 21:09:23   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    700                 0x7190001989e       NSURLSessionTask 6C15DC28-AEDA-42CE-AA1C-CDE66B84FA2D
03/16 21:09:23   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x7190001989d       NSURLSessionTask F59DA74A-4E76-4C54-BDDE-375EF562312A
03/16 21:09:23   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x719000198a0       NSURLSessionTask 04B9F8EE-A5FD-4A03-9EAF-A3A51CD1954D
03/16 21:09:23   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x719000198a1       NSURLSessionTask 20492945-A336-4632-A4AE-A6DAFFC5C485
03/16 21:09:23   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x719000198a2       NSURLSessionTask 0E38C115-9C6C-44D4-977D-25AB02663EAE
03/16 21:09:23   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x71a000198a3       NSURLSessionTask 34606CC8-84ED-4AFB-A4B5-4EAB41152954
03/16 21:09:24   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x71a000198a4       NSURLSessionTask 515D8D99-EC5D-48AE-AA4B-95B1B28AC8AA
03/16 21:09:26   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    794                 0x71f000198a7       BTLEAdvertisement.1DD9A811-4CDB-4DC7-A48B-D0DD87367A71
03/16 21:09:29   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    794                 0x71f000198a7       BTLEAdvertisement.1DD9A811-4CDB-4DC7-A48B-D0DD87367A71
03/16 21:09:32   Created     00:00:00  BackgroundTask                495                 0x726000b98a8       com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power
03/16 21:09:34   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x727000198a9       NWIOConnection 0x7f8301f28a98
03/16 21:09:34   Released    00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x727000198a9       NWIOConnection 0x7f8301f28a98
03/16 21:09:34   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x727000198aa       NSURLSessionTask 8B11465C-2F68-467D-BEB6-6170F4DDC2A7
03/16 21:09:34   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x728000198ab       NSURLSessionTask 2D5C5A04-7F09-49F2-845A-9650A64A939D
03/16 21:09:35   Released    00:00:02  BackgroundTask                495                 0x726000b98a8       com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power
03/16 21:09:35   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x728000198ac       NSURLSessionTask 6BBD65F3-407F-4D25-B85B-7041AA19FD68
03/16 21:09:37   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x727000198aa       NSURLSessionTask 8B11465C-2F68-467D-BEB6-6170F4DDC2A7
03/16 21:09:38   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x728000198ab       NSURLSessionTask 2D5C5A04-7F09-49F2-845A-9650A64A939D
03/16 21:09:38   Released    00:00:03  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x728000198ac       NSURLSessionTask 6BBD65F3-407F-4D25-B85B-7041AA19FD68
03/16 21:09:38   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    794                 0x72c000198ad       BTLEAdvertisement.1DD9A811-4CDB-4DC7-A48B-D0DD87367A71
03/16 21:09:44   Released    00:00:06  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    794                 0x72c000198ad       BTLEAdvertisement.1DD9A811-4CDB-4DC7-A48B-D0DD87367A71
03/16 21:09:46   Created     00:00:00  BackgroundTask                495                 0x734000b98ae       com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power
03/16 21:09:48   Released    00:00:01  BackgroundTask                495                 0x734000b98ae       com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power
03/16 21:09:48   TurnedOn    00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    432(5998)           0x736000196ca       com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep
03/16 21:09:48   TurnedOff   00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    432(5998)           0x736000196ca       com.apple.audio.AppleUSBAudioEngine:Focusrite:Scarlett Solo USB:Y7BUU550B6F41C:1,2.context.preventuseridlesleep
03/16 21:09:48   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x736000198af       NSURLSessionTask DC650668-864B-46ED-9535-5652EE12D64B
03/16 21:09:48   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    794                 0x736000198b0       BTLEAdvertisement.1DD9A811-4CDB-4DC7-A48B-D0DD87367A71
03/16 21:09:49   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x736000198b1       NSURLSessionTask 3F63BF93-BD4F-492F-A958-F2BE0C56E929
03/16 21:09:49   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    694                 0x737000198b2       NSURLSessionTask A5152BFF-9CED-4381-98C8-B145435CAE32
03/16 21:09:50   Created     00:00:00  PreventUserIdleSystemSleep    390(6038)           0x737000198b3       app<application.com.hegenberg.BetterTouchTool.2248378428.2248378434(501)>390-747-7521:File Coordination Claim 0C67EC24-9040-4BAC-9E06-D0DC5EF11468(FinishTask)

Edited by panosru

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This topic became a monstrosity haha, but I truly believe that the time I spend in debugging that issue may be valuable for someone who also suffers from the same issue. 

I found that connecting my UPS (an APC Smart-UPS 2000) via USB to my computer messed up my USB controllers a lot. Unplugging that reduced the frequency of audio cuts by a lot. After trying to understand a little bit more the console when the cut was happening, I tried also to disable the internal audio and I also unplugged the front panel audio. I'm not sure if that eliminated the audio cuts because I'm still testing, but I'm happy to say that so far I haven't got any audio cuts. As I said, I'm not sure that I solved it but I might reduced the frequency to a negligible point, therefore, it is acceptable for me :D I hope Apple won't release a new version to ƒuck up USB controllers again (Ah yes, I also upgraded to v14.4.1 that is supposed to fix some USB issues).

Edited by panosru
yeah, I still get audio cuts.