USB Sound Assertion - USB Audio Interface briefly stuttering occasionally

ronniegold

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

This is my first Hackintosh, designed to be used for music production, so having my audio stutter is a fairly serious issue!

i7 8700k

Asrock z370 Pro4

Focusrite 18i20v2 (have also tested with Focusrite 2i2, and Zoom H6) audio interface,

Samsung 960 M.2 (I also have a normal HDD in here as well)

I tested with High Sierra, but had the same problems in Sierra (which I installed on my spinning HDD).

Clover

It seems that sound engine is encountering some kind of error, and is having to restart itself periodically. These are the important lines from Console (I believe)-

USB Sound assertion (Resetting engine due to error returned in Read Handler) in /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/AppleUSBAudio-311.9/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp at line 6182

^^ I assume that .cpp file is inaccessible? Would be interesting to see what is on line 6182! Looks like the audio streaming is messing itself up every now and then?

Core audiod - HALS_IOA1Engine.cpp:365:EndWriting:  HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002D7

Core Audiod - HALB_AsyncLog.cpp:120:perform:  11:39:38.080572 thread 10d4: HALS_IOContext::IOWorkLoop_HandleOverload: Overload arg1: 64 arg2: 4527392 arg3: 4527426

Spotify - HALC_ProxyIOContext.cpp:1068:IOWorkLoop:  HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop: skipping cycle due to overload

NOTE-

Sometimes I also get a USB Sound Assertion claiming that "output fell behind". although i've just observed that this particular error msg also happens on my imac, so this is probably not hackintosh related.

USB Sound assertion (Output Fell Behind) in /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/AppleUSBAudio-311.9/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp at line 6177

https://imgur.com/a/MZXVi(various screenshots of console)

I haven't noticed problems with onboard sound, which I briefly got working to test. I'm not interested in using onboard sound though. My intuition says that my mobos USB isn't playing nicely with OSX. Unfortunately theres nothing in the bios I can change (I can't force it to run as USB 2.0 for example, and there are no USB 2 ports on this mobo). Changing ports makes no difference.

I initially used a guide and EFI folder from a website, but today tried the "vanilla" method on Reddit, which seemed to install nicely, but hasn't fixed my USB Audio problems! I've tried fiddling with the USB options in clover but to no avail.

I've been trying to look into using RehabMans FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, but I'm a bit confused about if its doing anything (I put it in my clover kext folder, as well as in sys/lib/ext, as well as the FakePCIID.kext). Not sure what its really meant to do, or if I need to do more to make it work?

Interestingly, my iMac (which works well with USB audio, running Sierra), uses AppleUSBXHCILPTH as the Host Controller for USB 3.0 bus in System Information, whereas my hack is using AppleUSBXHCISPT. Is this a pertinent detail perhaps?

I'm not sure what else to try now! I've ordered a cheap USB 2.0 PCI card from Amazon which arrives on Tuesday, but this is a bit of a desperation attempt, I'm quite out of my depth with this issue! Any help would be massively appreciated.

​Interestingly, the error doesn't seem to occur as much if I don't touch the computer. I wonder if my mouse/keyboard is interfering with the USB Audio? I've tried unplugging everything other than the mouse/keyboard and USB interface but still get the problem.

Thanks so much! Apologies if there's more info I need to add, I will supply any information necessary!

​EDIT : Thought I'd also add that I updated the Bios to ver 1.60 (latest) from Asrock website, was hoping this would fix the problem but it hasn't.

• Like 1

Thanks Madlon!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_ufQ-WpNWkChGGWuLuSk8K_kwYonSUhz

Here's the necessary files. This particular EFI is very basic (this is from my attempt at a Vanilla install). Thanks so much for your help!

extract original tables, press F4 key in clover boot screen, files generated in Clover/Acpi/Origin

Unfortunately still getting the error. Took quite a while until i got the first error, but sadly its still there-

USB Sound assertion (Resetting engine due to error returned in Read Handler) in /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/AppleUSBAudio-311.9/AppleUSBAudioDevice.cpp at line 6182

HALS_IOA1Engine.cpp:365:EndWriting:  HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002D7

IOAudioEngineUserClient[<private>] - AUDIO OFFLINE. online=0. state=2. loopCount=138, lastLoopTime=-1864838656

Any ideas? Thanks!

• Like 1

The cheap USB 2 PCI card has yielded some interesting results... I tested with the Scarlett 2i2 (which draws its power from the USB). With just the 2i2 plugged in to the USB 2.0 card, it worked (although i think the same errors were present), but more importantly, the sound would gradually disort until it faded away. This would happen quicker if i ran logic as well as spotify and had them both playing. Changing sample rate or closing logic would "reset" sound to normal... I should test this with a card that doesn't require power.

More interestingly, if i plug both my keyboard and mouse into the new card, and ONLY have the audio interface plugged in to the mobo, we seem to get no errors! I think this probably means that my keyboard/mouse are interrupting the audio device when they share the same USB 3.0 bus (i.e the motherboard)?

Anyway, i'll keep an eye on the console, and if i don't get an error then i have found a solution, however, this is a pretty bad solution if it means i can't plug in anything else to the mobos USB!

I have a gigabyte z370 mobo arriving tomorrow to test with, and i'll perform some more tests in the meantime to see if i can find out where the error is coming from... But does any of this make any sense or help discovering where the problem is?

NEW IOREG - https://drive.google.com/open?id=16s1UKL5E0dlqtIdrk_PBbBSRyU6tD57h

Thanks!

• Like 1

Can no longer seem to reproduce the original error... even though i have plugged everything back into the mobo?!

I had to move my GPU to another slot to install the USB pci card. I discovered that my GPU should have been in the new slot as its 16x, and the other is 4x - and to add to that, i have a wifi card in PCIE5, which would have meant my GPU was running at 2x (asrock z370 pro4 manual states this). Could this have been the problem all along?! Maybe my GPU was causing the problem? Or maybe it was causing a bottleneck? Does this sound likely?

u put GPU in x16 slot and solve?

if u use GPU in other slot(x8, x4) u loose many performance

check, ur GPU stay in RP05, is very rare in serie 100/200/300

MaLd0n 2018-01-24 às 22.56.05.png

the common device is PEG0/PEGP

Wow i think this is solved. Now that i've moved the GFX card to the correct PCIE slot, its now in PEG0 in ioreg (i have no idea what this is, but its the correct way?).

If this is fixed i will be so happy! How ridiculous that the $5 usb card fixed it by accident - because i had to move the GFX card to fit the new USB card in the case! This means my GFX card was running at 2x, not 16x which must have caused the errors! I have no idea why it affects the USB audio only. It didn't seem to have a problem with onboard audio... Also, I don't think a slow GFX card should affect audio? But If its fixed i won't complain!

Thank you so much for your help Mald0n, I'll update this thread if i have any more problems, but i think it might be solved! I'll keep an eye on my console.

EDIT - I get a USB Sound assertion if I plug an external HDD into the cases top USB 2.0 ports, but not the 3.0 (its a fractal r4 case). I don't get an assertion plugging into the any of the other USB ports (including the USB 2.0 PCI card at the back)... This doesn't feel rock solid... but as long as i don't get assertions randomly while using the machine i don't really mind about this.. I'll keep this updated with my findings if there are more problems.

• Like 1