Erratic and weird date and time behavior

Gfreeman

11 posts in this topic

(Pardon me if I'm posting this in the wrong category)

I have a friend with this PC configuration:

PC 4th Gen:
--------------
Motherboard: ASRock B85M-HDS
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460
RAM: DDR3 1600mhz 2 x 4GB (8GB Total)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

I did a hackintosh to it's PC with MacOS Monterey. To take advantage of the Nvidia GTX 1050 GPU I applied the Opencore Legacy Patcher.
The Apps I used were:
- OpenCore 0.9.0 (with all relevant updated Kexts).
- OpenCore Legacy Patcher 0.6.1
I also installed Windows 10 on another partition on that same SSD, using rEFInd as boot manager.
Everything works fine, except that the clock time has a very erratic behavior; you turn on the PC and the time could be late or ahead compare to actual time (happen to hours or minutes or both). Even gets to the point of having different times in the BIOS, Windows, and MacOS, at the same moment.

As a note: I already config the windows Registry to use UTC time, but it didn't solve the problem.
Also the CMOS battery is with its full charge capacity.

Please can you help us? what do you think about it?

Many thanks in advance.

Greetings

PS. Pardon my english. I'm spanish speaker.

On 3/23/2023 at 5:59 AM, Slice said:

Also it may be wrong FSB speed set by the bootloader.

Hi, thx you for your reply. 

What means FSB? ....is it Front Side Bus ???

On 3/21/2023 at 9:04 PM, Cyberdevs said:

@Gfreeman

As far as I remember you're gonna need to use RTCMemoryFixup.kext to fix that issue on 4th Gen rigs to which fixes the BIOS reset.

RTCMemoryFixup.kext.zip 12.37 kB · 3 downloads

Hi,  this fixed the time sinchronization between the BIOS and MAC, but Windows is still with weird behaviour with the time.

12 hours ago, Gfreeman said:

Hi,  this fixed the time sinchronization between the BIOS and MAC, but Windows is still with weird behaviour with the time.

That's because windows uses GMT standard and macOS uses UTC.

You can use the following reg edit files to turn the UTC time On or Off in Windows. (In order to fix the time sync issue you need to turn ON the UTC time settings reboot the system and sync the clock in windows.)

Turn UTC Time On-Off - Windows.zip

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Thats because windows uses GMT standard and macOS uses UTC.

You can use the following reg edit files to turn the UTC time On or Off in Windows. (In order to fix the time sync issue you need to turn ON the UTC time settings reboot the system and sync the clock in windows.)

Turn UTC Time On-Off - Windows.zip 745 B · 1 download

Hello, yes, we already did that operation. It didn't solve the problem either. The time error (to clarify) is not that there are hours difference between mac and win, it is that the clock in win could have any hour with any minute different from mac. Example: Mac has 3:15 PM and Win has 5:45 AM.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Gfreeman said:

Hi
Problem still unsolved, this is a real weird symptom, and now the clock is frozen (stuck) in BIOS, time does not count, stay freeze in same hour:minute:second
Could it be the quartz of the motherboard broken on some surt?

Personally I would reset the BIOS to Default which hopefully would reset the BIOS Clock to Default also, if not turn off the machine,  remove the power cable and press the power button for approx 30 seconds (This removes any latent charge from the Capacitors) remove CMOS Battery for approx 2 minutes or more.

Replace the CMOS Battery first then the power cable and boot into the BIOS.

1. Set the BIOS Clock to the current year, date and time, on setting the time insure the Seconds are counting down, if they are static, the time is not set properly.

2. Now setup the BIOS for OS X and save the settings.

3. Boot into OS X and check the Time is correct, if all is well reboot the machine into Windows and check the time, if you followed the above steps, Windows time will be 1 hour behind OS X's time (at this point that is normal) any more or less you will have to go into Windows Time settings and adjust the Time settings for your part of the world.

4. In Windows use the @Cyberdevs 'Turn UTC Time On - Off' registry time fix.

5. Reboot machine into OS X and check the Time and Date, then reboot into Windows and do the same.

I am not familiar with ASRock Motherboards but on Gigabyte and MSI, the process is almost identical so I am assuming it won't be too far different on ASRock. Good luck.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1