Question about using gtx1050ti instead of igpu

treyhamilton25

12 posts in this topic

I’ve seen videos and posts on Reddit with people using the same laptop(or similar graphically) as mine. Namely Nvidia GTX 1050ti. When they click on about this Mac it shows the GTX card being used and shows the transparency and all that good stuff. I have the GTX 1050ti, and I went through the OpenCore setup guide. There was a part I had to set up manually the ig_platform_id setting in device properties to my HD630. Anyway, the question Im asking is, can I safely delete that setting from my config.plist or set it to my 1050ti and be able to use that? I have the HP Omen 17t. My previous ENVY I was able to get acceleration working using my old nvidia card. I have some pics of some of the settings and I’m more than willing to get whatever else is requested. I think my config is bloated too because it takes FOREVER to reboot. And it doesn’t just ‘reboot’. When it tries to reboot the system turn off and on 3 times before finally trying to start up. I’m running high sierra and the web drivers downloaded and installed successfully. Am using the bootarg for nvda also. 

graphics/Displays shows both HD630 and NVIDIA. Shows nvidia as pcie slot 1. Could I force to boot using slot 1? Or swap them somehow? This is the only thing left for me to try and get fully working. Well this and the SLOW boot up. 

91943512-6E97-42F4-88EB-5B59F7FAEB9E.jpeg

config.plist

Edited by treyhamilton25

@treyhamilton25

macOS High Sierra is the last version of macOS that you can use to enable nVidia GPUs with nVidia Web Drivers, there's no support beyond High Sierra. (I'm not sure if web drivers support the Ti variant tho.)

If web drivers support Ti models you can remove the iGPU settings in config.plist so the nVidia will be the primary GPU macOS uses but since macOS uses iGPU for certain tasks I don't recommend removing the iGPU settings from config.

About the boot time try setting SetApfsTrimTimeout to 0 and see if that changes anything or just boot with verbose and see where the boot process stalls.

55 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@treyhamilton25

macOS High Sierra is the last version of macOS that you can use to enable nVidia GPUs with nVidia Web Drivers, there's no support beyond High Sierra. (I'm not sure if web drivers support the Ti variant tho.)

If web drivers support Ti models you can remove the iGPU settings in config.plist so the nVidia will be the primary GPU macOS uses but since macOS uses iGPU for certain tasks I don't recommend removing the iGPU settings from config.

About the boot time try setting SetApfsTrimTimeout to 0 and see if that changes anything or just boot with verbose and see where the boot process stalls.

So where I have the setting under device properties for ig_platform I can try to remove that? And the SetApfsTrimTimeout is also in the confg.plist? I've been out of hackintoshing since arounf the time Maverick came out. A LOT has changed since then. Lol. I used clover before but when looking things up I seen OC was preferred? Been a while haha.

Yeah it's been a long while, you can disable the iGPU setting under the Device Properties by adding a # in front of the entry. I made those adjustments for you in this config.

OC or Clover work just fine if you use their latest builds.

The SetApfsTrimTomeout is under the Kernel section by the way.

config.plist

4 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

Yeah it's been a long while, you can disable the iGPU setting under the Device Properties by adding a # in front of the entry. I made those adjustments for you in this config.

OC or Clover work just fine if you use their latest builds.

The SetApfsTrimTomeout is under the Kernel section by the way.

config.plist 36.49 kB · 1 download

I guess I’m unable to boot with my GTX only. I get constant reboots. The loading bar gets about half way, flashes a blue/turquoise color and then reboots again. /shrug idk. Guess no acceleration for me. 

22 minutes ago, treyhamilton25 said:

I guess I’m unable to boot with my GTX only. I get constant reboots. The loading bar gets about half way, flashes a blue/turquoise color and then reboots again. /shrug idk. Guess no acceleration for me. 

I've added the -v keepsyms=1 boot arguments to the config to see where it stops loading macOS. Post a screenshot of the boot process to see what happens if you can.

config.plist

This is what I got with my phone. I can edit the plist in shell if you want and I can see what the log says. Trying to get a video and scrub it doesn’t look the prettiest. The lines move SO fast. Then gets to the last line about attempting restart and just restarts. Sorry for all the trouble. And thank you so much for trying to help me. 

82BAC649-F7AB-4B8A-897A-08EBE8C6C886.png

B9087E8C-6023-41E2-B5D3-C0E05EE6E63C.png

panic-2022-09-19-191524.txt

Edited by treyhamilton25
added panic from log

19 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

I've added the -v keepsyms=1 boot arguments to the config to see where it stops loading macOS. Post a screenshot of the boot process to see what happens if you can.

config.plist 36.5 kB · 1 download

I uncommented ig_platform so I could boot, but I wanted to say whatever else you edited to increase boot time is AMAZING. It's starting up to the login screen in a fraction of the time it did before. Restarting is no longer "hit restart, go make a sandwich, talk to the neighbor, go to walmart, then come home and wait a little longer" xD THANK you.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@treyhamilton25

I'm glad it's working, I guess the SSD must be Samsung in your laptop because i had the same issue with a long boot times on my Samsung nvme SSDs.

WD Blue. Did you happen to see anything in the panic log? Not a huge deal if not. Today is kind of busy for me anyway so I won't be able to tinker too much. I'm also fine with not having acceleration or anything right now. Debating on just getting another ENVY like I the one I had before and just referring to my old posts about getting it working. xD 

2 minutes ago, treyhamilton25 said:

WD Blue. Did you happen to see anything in the panic log? Not a huge deal if not. Today is kind of busy for me anyway so I won't be able to tinker too much. I'm also fine with not having acceleration or anything right now. Debating on just getting another ENVY like I the one I had before and just referring to my old posts about getting it working. xD 

The screenshots indicate issues with the GPU (intel) so I guess it's required o have the iGPU enabled and active in the config. Without acceleration system won't be usable at all so if you can't get the nVidia to work you can stick with the iGPU. 

• Like 1