Opencore fails to load Bigsure silently and returns back to boot menu

davidm71

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

Wanted to see if it was possible to install Bigsur from a Virtualbox VM of the installer within Windows by accessing the solid state disk directly within a raw VMDK disk image so was able to figure that out and installed Bigsur onto the harddrive. The problem I am having is that when I directly boot up onto that 2nd disk I have Opencore boot picker graphical menu appears and when I click that Bigsur install the screen goes black for like 3-5 seconds and then returns to the boot picker graphical menu. Don't see any verbose details at all and no clue therefore whats going on. At least I can load Windows from that boot picker menu. Half the battle.

Worth noting using Opencore 0.80 with a modified config.plist from another working Z270 motherboard that I have tried to modify. Maybe should have started with a fresh config.plist.

In anycase how can I see verbose details to figure out whats going on?

Thanks

Specs:

MSI Z270M Mortar 7600K cpu motherboard

RX470 AMD GPU

Broadcom 7020X wifi card

38 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

@davidm71

Hi, you need to add -v bootflag to your config under the nvram section to be able to see the verbose mode.

I did that and still saw nothing. Maybe its because I'm using opencanopy? Or should I use the Debug version?

Also does it matter that my bios doesn't have a setting for cfg lock disable or VT-d?

Thanks

OpenCanopy is just for OC's picker, once you select a disk to boot if the -v boot argument is available in the config.plist macOS will boot in the verbose mode and then you can see where it stops. If the system reboots you can add keepsyms=1 boot argument to see where the boot process stops.

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 8.07.07 PM.png

I swear I had all of the above boot-args including "-v keepsyms=1" and saw nothing on the screen once I clicked Bigsur Icon in the picker menu. Just went black and returned back to the menu after 3-5 seconds. Is there a way to get it to write to a txt file? 

Thanks

Well I have good news. I copied the boot-args and csr config security setting from Mald0ns efi into my config.plist and it worked. Got verbose messaging too. Only thing is don't have ethernet or wifi and the screen colors looked really washed out. Not sure why colors look weak. Read that my  BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter and i219-V network adapter are hackable. Think I can handle that part on my own. Just find the right kexts. The washed out colors not sure.

Thanks again for the help. 

Much appreciate it!

Think it was the monitor. Using a different older DVI style monitor and colors look good now. Probably was an issue with the EDID or even because using dvi to hdmi adapter.

Got Ethernet working. Just not wifi. Probably audio as well havent tested. 

Though was able to move forward thanks to your suggestions.

Think the issue was related to CSR security settings perhaps.