Success sort-of running BS Virtualbox VM on PC but not Laptop

davidm71

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

Been trying to create a VB VM  on my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 gen 9 Carbon.  Had success doing this on my PC desktop with latest version of VB 6.134 but doing the same exact steps on my laptop it doesn't work and end up in a kernel panic unable to get to the graphical part. I tried copying and importing the VM and starting fresh and nothing works. Suspect maybe its because of the Kernel DMA protection that is enabled in bios interfering. Just a theory but haven't had time to test but have no issues loading Ubuntu in VB for what its worth.  Also have Vt-d and virtualization support enabled in bios but the VB logs say something like Vt-d not found and running  a diagnostic application (forgot name) states laptop doesn't have Hardware virtualization support though the performance tab of task manager says Virtualization support is enabled so not sure.

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, davidm71 said:

Hi,

Been trying to create a VB VM  on my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 gen 9 Carbon.  Had success doing this on my PC desktop with latest version of VB 6.134 but doing the same exact steps on my laptop it doesn't work and end up in a kernel panic unable to get to the graphical part. I tried copying and importing the VM and starting fresh and nothing works. Suspect maybe its because of the Kernel DMA protection that is enabled in bios interfering. Just a theory but haven't had time to test but have no issues loading Ubuntu in VB for what its worth.  Also have Vt-d and virtualization support enabled in bios but the VB logs say something like Vt-d not found and running  a diagnostic application (forgot name) states laptop doesn't have Hardware virtualization support though the performance tab of task manager says Virtualization support is enabled so not sure.

Thanks.

read here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-Gen-9-i7-2-8ghz-Hardware-virtualization-greyed-out-in-bion/m-p/ 5108115

"If you go into Settings | Update & Security | Windows Security | Device Security | Core Isolation and click on Core Isolation Details, what is the Memory Integrity option set to?"

if it doesn't work, then use this link, many users have already discussed here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=BS+Virtualbox+VM+under+Lenovo+ThinkPad+X1+Gen+9+Carbon

I believe I had it turned off in: "Settings | Update & Security | Windows Security | Device Security | Core Isolation and click on Core Isolation Details".

When I got this laptop 6 mos ago I couldn't even run VB without issues just getting VMs like Ubuntu to run. You'll probably find some of my posts in that search link.. Lol.

But was wondering if in a VM does the laptops own bios settings translate down into the VM and cause KPs just like any other machine?

Curiuous what would happen if Kernel DMA protection is turned off though.

For that matter wondering if I could load Opencore in Virtualbox though not sure that would work either or make it worse.

Obviously its not Virtualbox because it worked on another machine. At this point thinking of uninstalling VB and reinstalling it but have my doubts.

Thanks

Well finally got my Vt-d back up and didn't need a blue pill or anything..

Turns out you need to disable Hyper-V, Device Guard, and possibly Credential Guard. 

Steps I took I disabled Hyper-V in Windows features. Type "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off" in a command admin shell and disable Virtualization based Security using the Microsoft Device Guard and Credential Guard hardware readiness tool: ".\DG_Readiness_Tool.ps1 -Disable -AutoReboot" in Powershell admin window and then select 2nd option. Now I have VT-D but apps like Docker which I really don't use just playing with don't work. Too bad for Docker.

Next I'll try to load OSX and see what happens.

Ok Now I can report success! Was VT-d being disabled that was causing my issue!

Read though there is a way to force Virtualbox to use Hyper-Visor platform. 

Not sure if it will work or worth doing considering read its slower than Vt-d.